Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The 15 Minute City and Low Traffic Neighborhoods.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How did this become a far right cause against a Marxist agenda?
It all kicked off in Oxford yesterday - coming to a town near you soon
(Unless that town happens to be Brighton - cos we loves us some gridlock?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
15 minute cities is a concept that I only heard about on Thursday from a discussion on the radio. What no-one seemed to ask was what happens if the locals don't want to use all the new corner shops etc local to them because they were so expensive and they all close down? Also, how will stopping traffic revive the "high street"?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
15 minute cities is a concept that I only heard about on Thursday from a discussion on the radio. What no-one seemed to ask was what happens if the locals don't want to use all the new corner shops etc local to them because they were so expensive and they all close down? Also, how will stopping traffic revive the "high street"?
Because stopping single user cars revives the high street.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
there's an element of hatstandery going on, but there is a fair objection to compulsion. in most towns and cities you're 15-30 minutes walk away from everything anyway. however its not always the case or not convenient, and people dont like the idea that retrospectively being told they cant go across town.

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
It’s beyond me that anyone would support the idea that it’s acceptable for the state to dictate how often a citizen can directly travel through zone 1 to zones 2-6 in a given year. And if such a draconian measure was even proposed why not support it with subsidised or free public transport, the reason for the outcry is that it is a freedom of movement. These measures tend to hit the disadvantaged in society, not everyone is able to work from home, people need to travel for various reasons including work…if the state cared so much about the high street then it would have looked into incentivising traders long ago by reducing rates or controlling rents. If people can’t see this measure is a reflection that we are sleep walking into totalitarianism then I have no hope. People should be encouraged to use alternative transport through making it affordable and/or encouraging ride shares through financial incentives not by force and penalties for non compliance.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The master race at it again. Both brain cells fizzing with fury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s beyond me that anyone would support the idea that it’s acceptable for the state to dictate how often a citizen can directly travel through zone 1 to zones 2-6, by car, in a given year. And if such a draconian measure was even proposed why not support it with subsidised or free public transport, the reason for the outcry is that it is a freedom of movement. These measures tend to hit the disadvantaged in society, not everyone is able to work from home, people need to travel for various reasons including work…if the state cared so much about the high street then it would have looked into incentivising traders long ago by reducing rates or controlling rents. If people can’t see this measure is a reflection that we are sleep walking into totalitarianism then I have no hope. People should be encouraged to use alternative transport through making it affordable and/or encouraging ride shares through financial incentives not by force and penalties for non compliance.
I totally agree that these measures have to come hand in hand with the carrot element of subsidized public transport.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Piers Corbin and Lawrence Fox protesting. My default position being the opposite of that pair of helmets.
I have to say that when I saw Laurence Fox I found myself defaulting to not supporting whatever their cause is.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have to say that when I saw Laurence Fox I found myself defaulting to not supporting whatever their cause is.
Add me to the list. I have no dog in this particular fight, (I'm not even sure what it's about, some sort of traffic scheme) but whatever side Piers Corbyn and Lawrence Fox are on then I am 100% on the other as it MUST be the right and logical side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Add me to the list. I have no dog in this particular fight, (I'm not even sure what it's about, some sort of traffic scheme) but whatever side Piers Corbyn and Lawrence Fox are on then I am 100% on the other as it MUST be the right and logical side.
That's kind of the point of the thread.
It's about local town and city planners wanting to make their space accessable to all.

Yet somehow, and very quickly, it's turned into a global fight for our freedom lead by the far right, white supremacists, and in Oxford's case the local head of the Druid's.

Town fudging planning!!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
LOL….YEAH RIGHT

its been muted in other places and thankfully started to be challenged so that it can be debated rather than enforced without any…oh of course ‘’a consultation period’’ will be talked about …pfft when the decision really has been already made …no doubt our resident critic of car drivers will say otherwise.

Oh and with reference to using social media to back up ones claims…….i dared to post a link to Oxfords proposals on facebook a month ago which was then deleted with a warning on the grounds of misinformation pfffft

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
it's turned into a global fight for our freedom

One man.
One car.
One hour.
Each way.
With free parking at each end.
Burning hydrocarbons.

As God intended.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It is my inalienable right to sit in a traffic jam for hours going nowhere, doing nothing, polluting the atmosphere, and desperate for a wee.

NOBODY IS GOING TO TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME.

Except a slightly dodgy bladder.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here