Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] That "I just knew..." feeling/ESP

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm sure we all do this, there is probably a name for it. You read a word and simultaneously hear somebody say the same word. It happens to me a fair bit.

Frequency illusion/Baader-Meinhof phenomenon?

My grandma was hiding Andreas Baader in her apartment in the early 70s so I definitely encountered this phenomenon later on.

The mysteries of the universe and how we function in it are far from solved, but most likely it is probably just a psychological phenomenon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am not going to take the time to embarrass you by, for the fourth time across two threads, dredging up dozens of quotes with anecdotal first hand experience of why you are wrong. Quotes from multiple unique users of this forum, with absolutely no affiliation (and often, frankly no affinity for) Wetherspoon's. People who have nothing to gain whatsoever from lying about this.

This has been repeatedly debunked by linking to articles explaining how they offer cheap beer. For avoidance of doubt, as free houses with enormous buying capacity given their size and popularity as a chain, they are able to buy en masse in huge quantities. By ordering in advance for the alcohol to be specifically produced for their chain, via a futures-style system, they receive huge discounts on the per-barrel price usually charged to the average pub. A number of drinks are loss-leaders in fact.

Additionally, it has been repeatedly explained to you which elements of their food are microwaved (namely, very few, particularly on the breakfast menu), and having been in Wetherspoon's kitchens myself, and having a best mate who worked as a chef there for several years... combined with the dozens of articles (not all flattering) available online which detail EXACTLY how each dish is made..

I had this feeling that when I posted an accurate and 100% true description of Wetherspoons they’d be some wally coming along to say I’m wrong and it’s freshly cooked haute cuisine with Ottolenghi in the kitchen.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nonsense, of course. It’s all a matter of probability and chance. The human brain is amazing enough without applying hokum and make-believe to the mix.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
No, this isn't about love.

Both myself and my Mother before me have always struggled with this. You know when you think about someone you haven't heard from in years, then within a day or two they contact you?

This kind of stuff happens all the time to me.

Remembering a song, then hearing that song a few hours later.

Now I'm a skeptic of paranormal phenomenon. I know the brain is a powerful tool that can play all kinds of tricks (consider déjà-vu) - but sometimes such coincidences occur that are so bizarre and unlikely.

Take the song example; subconsciously that song may be in my head from playing somewhere like a TV show or a store, and consequently is being repeated/discussed by others. But often there is absolutely no "logical" explanation.

Weird.

When I saw the thread title I 'just knew' that the American spelling of sceptic would be used! :D

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
She was happy to wait three days? :lolol:

These were pre internet / mobile phone days. Getting in touch with home from Australia was totally in my hands - there was no way she knew where I was or what I was doing, in fact, I think that was the first call home in six months - everything else was air mail...!

Simpler life back then in some ways.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Nonsense, of course. It’s all a matter of probability and chance. The human brain is amazing enough without applying hokum and make-believe to the mix.

Exactly. It's the same as karma - it doesn't exist. People see something bad happen to someone who has behaved badly and call it karma when it is nothing more than coincidence

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly. It's the same as karma - it doesn't exist. People see something bad happen to someone who has behaved badly and call it karma when it is nothing more than coincidence

Are you suggesting this is coincidence and in no way connected to karma?

[tweet]1536477290267299844[/tweet]

:lolol:

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
Karma and Newton's 3rd Law of Action and Reaction go hand in hand, behaviour has nothing to do with Karma and when people suggest it does, it takes away the real meaning.

D

Deleted member 2719

Best story I've heard on this is one I've told here before - but when has that stopped me!

So Fangio in his Ferrari were hammering around Monte Carlo.
Unbeknownst to him there was a massive pile up, t'other side of 180 turn.
Every car ploughed into the back.
Then Fangio appeared braked early.
Crept around corner.
Picked through the wreckage.
Went onto win.

The media, esp the Italian media, went into meltdown.
'its god's will' blah blah blah.

Fangio couldn't live with that, but he also had no idea how he knew about the crash.
It stayed in the back of his mind, on repeat, for quite a while, until it finally hit him.

He's Fangio.
He's in a Farreri.
Approaching a 180 bend

&

Not one of the spectators on the bank is looking at him.

No 'gift', no ESP, no second sight.

His brain knew something was wrong - it just didn't have enough time to tell Fangio!

I sometimes get ESP on here, I feel a certain mod is going to warn me about something................. and then it happens................very odd.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm sure we all do this, there is probably a name for it. You read a word and simultaneously hear somebody say the same word. It happens to me a fair bit.

Do you watch telly with the subtitles on?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here