Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] That elbow on Veltman

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I thought that it should have been a red and was stunned VAR didn't even look at it.

However I thought the forearm into Maupay was even worse.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I thought that it should have been a red and was stunned VAR didn't even look at it.

Must have missed that, just thought the elbow was meant. He should've dropped to the floor like sock boy would've done in similar circumstances

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Looked like a red card to me. But then the push on Lamptey to make sure he ddin't get clear. looked to me to be as clear a yellow as you could wish to see.
I also thought that the Penalty appeal when Grealish tripped Lamptey, should have been given, but that was not even checked as the fall from Lamptey was "Dramatic".
I also thought the handball when March kept the ball in play should have been given/looked at, but that was waved away too.

Clearly I know nothing, because apparently Brighton were "saved" by VAR

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Looked like a red card to me. But then the push on Lamptey to make sure he ddin't get clear. looked to me to be as clear a yellow as you could wish to see.
I also thought that the Penalty appeal when Grealish tripped Lamptey, should have been given, but that was not even checked as the fall from Lamptey was "Dramatic".
I also thought the handball when March kept the ball in play should have been given/looked at, but that was waved away too.

The push on Lamptey absolutely should have been given. That’s not really VAR though as it was entirely clear cut. It was just an example of why there were no English refs appointed at the last World Cup.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The March one they never showed the correct camera angle to see if had indeed crossed the line. As we know crossing the line and camera angles go missing at Villa

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I missed that, was it before or after he was given a talking to for Douglas Luiz squaring up to him?
Loved the look on his face. You could tell he was saying "what are you talking to me for?, it's the brazilian psycho you need to be talking to."

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I thought the shove by Grealish on Veltman (when he was admittedly trying to waste time( was violent conduct and definitely a yellow at the very least. Funnily enough that never got shown on MoTD ! How strange.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Aspinall was furious about the Luiz"forearm smash" as he called it on maupay .
He said definitely red card and was very surprised at the yellow card.
Him and JC said it happened off the ball,did the TV cameras catch it?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Aspinall was furious about the Luiz"forearm smash" as he called it on maupay .
He said definitely red card and was very surprised at the yellow card.
Him and JC said it happened off the ball,did the TV cameras catch it?

It was off the ball. but I saw it at the time, so it must have been on camera. I'm pretty sure they showed a quick replay and then immediately went on to something more important, probably the shade of Grealish's highlights :rolleyes:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
It was off the ball. but I saw it at the time, so it must have been on camera. I'm pretty sure they showed a quick replay and then immediately went on to something more important, probably the shade of Grealish's highlights :rolleyes:

Yeah,that would be right.the tv director probably glossed over it PDQ.
I will keep an eye out for some extended highlights in the week(TV highlights not grealish style highlights lol)see if I can find the incident.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Can't it be retrospectively reviewed? Or is it only Brighton players' alleged misdemeanours that can be examined later and sanctions applied (ie Hemed's accidental stamp)?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

He is a bit of a pretty boy, isn't he. I wondered if he was wearing eyeliner......... not that it would worry me if he was.

And nobody need take that in the wrong way. I thought seriously it looked as if he could have been wearing eye make-up.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Why be stunned - you know the rules. VAR is used to look after the so called ‘big clubs’ and isn’t designed to be in any way consistent...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

The handball one irked me. Comma dismissed it straight away yet there is no way of telling if that ball was out or even close to out from the replay we saw. There is a camera VAR can check straight along the goal line right? If there is I’ll bet you anything they didn’t bother checking, I also think it was most likely in play, and even if VAR checked they’d then have to check the handball and it was too much of an effort for them.

This is why I just think get rid of it. Even if the Lino gets it wrong (which most do with balls being out or not) its done and that’s it. With VAR you’re wondering why it’s not checked, if it has even been checked and the next week the same incident will be checked and a pen given. Would rather just human error than the shit show of inconsistency we have...!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here