Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That Dunk OG Thing Doing The Rounds Is Unfunny And Unworthy

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
OK, might make a decent enough pub quiz question (tho we'd all know the answer) but semi-mocking Lewis Dunk for his OGs v Man City, Man U and Liverpool is IMHO unfunny and unworthy. Boy's put his body on the line for us unflinchingly over a number of seasons and is a large part of where we find ourselves now. Boy deserves far better than people taking the piss. IMHO, like.

Great post :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Own goals are an occupational hazard for defenders. The only way they can be avoided is by getting out of the way of the ball and since good defenders spend most of a game getting INTO the way of the ball, these things will happen.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
OK, might make a decent enough pub quiz question (tho we'd all know the answer) but semi-mocking Lewis Dunk for his OGs v Man City, Man U and Liverpool is IMHO unfunny and unworthy. Boy's put his body on the line for us unflinchingly over a number of seasons and is a large part of where we find ourselves now. Boy deserves far better than people taking the piss. IMHO, like.

Just a question, who is mocking Lewis, certainly not any of us Brighton fans, so who?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I remember seeing Gary Neville criticising a player, can’t remember who, for throwing himself in front of a shot from 25 yards a while back. He was saying that at the top level of football, the goalkeeper should save 19 out of 20 of those, and that the way he was always taught at Utd was that it’s more dangerous to hurl yourself in front of it, because it can go anywhere, making the play much harder to manage, and with a chance of an own goal. He was saying that their thinking was that if someone beats the keeper from that range then no problem, it’s a fantastic goal. Their perception of the percentages was that it was preferable to trust a top class keeper for a shot like that than to throw in a last ditch flying block, which regularly results in a more dangerous situation.

It was really interesting, I’d never thought about that before.

You are talking sh1t, Dunk throws himself in front of shots in the box, as does Duffy, putting themselves in harms way for the cause... if either of them stepped aside an said "have a shot from 25 yards old chap, our keeper should save that" they would get (rightly) crucified.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bet365 have tweeted about it, but the amount of times they have tweeted positive things about us in the last 12 months (and anti Palace stuff to boot) leaves me not particularly bothered. Besides from his 23 blocks so far this season how many goals have he actually saved.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My guess is that Dunk is taking it far better than some on here.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You are talking sh1t, Dunk throws himself in front of shots in the box, as does Duffy, putting themselves in harms way for the cause... if either of them stepped aside an said "have a shot from 25 yards old chap, our keeper should save that" they would get (rightly) crucified.

Sorry, what are you saying? That I’m lying? Or that Neville is wrong? I didn’t offer an opinion as to whether this was right or wrong, so I’m not quite sure how I’m ‘talking shit’. I was just commenting on something I heard a while back and thought was interesting.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Sorry, what are you saying? That I’m lying? Or that Neville is wrong? I didn’t offer an opinion as to whether this was right or wrong, so I’m not quite sure how I’m ‘talking shit’. I was just commenting on something I heard a while back and thought was interesting.

I apologise, Neville is talking sh1t and you are sh1t stirring, better? :lolol:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I remember seeing Gary Neville criticising a player, can’t remember who, for throwing himself in front of a shot from 25 yards a while back. He was saying that at the top level of football, the goalkeeper should save 19 out of 20 of those, and that the way he was always taught at Utd was that it’s more dangerous to hurl yourself in front of it, because it can go anywhere, making the play much harder to manage, and with a chance of an own goal. He was saying that their thinking was that if someone beats the keeper from that range then no problem, it’s a fantastic goal. Their perception of the percentages was that it was preferable to trust a top class keeper for a shot like that than to throw in a last ditch flying block, which regularly results in a more dangerous situation.

It was really interesting, I’d never thought about that before.

I was thinking that too, whether the bloke above thinks its shit or not is neither here nor there, but the truth is that if Dunk hadn't tried to intercept the shot on Saturday it wouldn't have been a goal. So there's clearly some truth in what Neville says, and if he was taught it, then I guess according to Sir Alex as well.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I was thinking that too, whether the bloke above thinks its shit or not is neither here nor there, but the truth is that if Dunk hadn't tried to intercept the shot on Saturday it wouldn't have been a goal. So there's clearly some truth in what Neville says, and if he was taught it, then I guess according to Sir Alex as well.

No no, apparently I’m ‘shit stirring’. Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I am not sure how you have got step aside from "its more dangerous to hurl yourself in front of it" ?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The unforgivable sin for most football fans is players not appearing to try and 'put in a shift' for their teams in a game.

With all his blocks and throwing his body in the line of fire, Dunk could never be accused of this.

Tammy Abraham experienced this a few games back. Plenty of other strikers will too.

It's an outlier stat and could almost even be considered a badge of honour.

And it's really nothing for him or us to worry about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here