Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thankyou David Bellotti

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Just been searching through the Argus archives and found this piece from December 2001.

Bellotti: I saved the club from going under From The Argus)

Bellotti: I saved the club from going under
David Bellotti insists he has no regrets about his reign at Albion.

The club's controversial former chief executive has defended the sale of the Goldstone, claiming the Seagulls got 'an extremely good price' for it.

He also believes history will judge him "more fairly" and that "people will realise what I did to help the club".

Bellotti breaks his silence in the December issue of FourFourTwo magazine, out now.

The Goldstone, Albion's home for the previous 93 years, was sold in July 1995. It left the Seagulls homeless and they had to groundshare with Gillingham in Kent for two seasons.

Bellotti claims the club had no choice but to cash in on their ground.

"We had debts of £5.7million that we had to clear by the following year or we would go under.

"The problem was the Goldstone couldn't be redeveloped.

"On one side we couldn't add a roof and other restrictions meant we couldn't be given Football Trust funds.

"The site had no potential, so we couldn't attract a buyer for the club, who would have in turn cleared its debts.

"We were running out of time and no one had come forward to help us so we had to sell the Goldstone to keep the club alive."

The sale to property developers Chartwell Limited for £7.4 million cleared the club's debts, but Chartwell soon sold it on for £24 million.

Bellotti added: "A year earlier Hove council valued it at £4 million, so £7.4 million was an extremely good price which no one questioned at the time.

"Chartwell paid for all the buildings on the site and the upgrade of the roads surrounding the Goldstone.

"I would estimate this cost £10 million, so although it looks like they made a massive profit, I'm not sure they did."

Bellotti had a bodyguard for his own safety and was forced to flee from the directors' box as fans vented their anger. Two games at the Goldstone were abandoned after pitch invasions.

"I have a high regard for Brighton supporters, but there was a minority that went too far," Bellotti said.

"I felt I was doing my best and doing it honestly and I could always see light at the end of the tunnel.

"I was happy to pass on a debt-free club to the new owners. It would have been disappointing to have gone through all I did to pass on a club in a worst state, but I didn't.

"History will judge me more fairly and as time goes on and the facts rather than emotions of the day remain, more people will realise what I did to help the club."

Im ashamed that we were all so wrong about you Mr Bullshitti, of course the club was in so much better shape when Archer was finally forced to release the stranglehold he had on the club. A once proud club, that was handed over, homeless, with running costs spiralling.

So another decade of history has indeed Judged you, and we have to admit that without you none of our current success would have been possible.

:wanker:

Sorry to all of you for dragging up the past but i got fed up with reading about Crawley and when i saw this the red mist rose once again.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for making me angry all over again. Bellotti is such a weasley **** and I'm not sure he's ever managed to admit to himself that he was just a frontman, on not much money from what I recall, for the real barstewards in the asset stripping of our club

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He's a chuffin' hero that man. Clearly I've misjudged him all these years.

I think we should immediately campaign for one of the Stands behind the goal to be named after him. The back of the stand could carry an enourmous picture of David with the words "Bellotti End".

I'm sure no-one would steal the o-t-t-i from the sign. :laugh:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Strange one really. He was the boil on the backside of this great club, his paymasters were the cancer. History will judge him for what he is, a much derided and hated character that dare not step foot in the city of Brighton and Hove and surrounding areas ever again. He will never be forgiven by the vast majority of Albion supporters and rightly so. However we have a new stadium and the wait was worth it, and his part in the demise of the club has seen us go on to bigger and greater things finally. So thanks DB you halfwitted c**t, you really were our saviour!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"I was happy to pass on a debt-free club to the new owners. It would have been disappointing to have gone through all I did to pass on a club in a worst state, but I didn't."

It wasn't your club to pass on and it was eventually passed on without a f***ing ground, you twat!

Acutally, I can't be bothered. What a wanker. I'm going to hit the gym soon. That has made my blood boil.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
What a self righteous, self important, up his own arse, arrogant, prick.

"I was happy to pass on a debt-free club to the new owners. It would have been disappointing to have gone through all I did to pass on a club in a worst state, but I didn't."

yeah we were much better off in bloody KENT! :US:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Should the Albion be allocated a home game at the AMEX on Saturday 5th November 2011, I can think of no guest of honour more appropriate.

(Edit - on reflection, perhaps one more. But he'd never be bothered to turn up.)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hmmm. No.

Perhaps ask again in another decade.

That reminds me, I'm going to try and get him on The Albion Roar one day.
Don't you dare. Seriously, don't. You know what'll happen, he's a politician, he'll smarm and smile and not answer any question directly. The end result will be a programme where a neutral might say "He came over quite well, I think the Brighton fans misjudged him." Then we'll all get angry all over again.

Edit: Unless of course you want to bring him on as you intend to beat him up live on air and we can hear him begging for mercy. Now THAT will be the best show ever!

Strange one really. He was the boil on the backside of this great club, his paymasters were the cancer. History will judge him for what he is, a much derided and hated character that dare not step foot in the city of Brighton and Hove and surrounding areas ever again. He will never be forgiven by the vast majority of Albion supporters and rightly so. However we have a new stadium and the wait was worth it, and his part in the demise of the club has seen us go on to bigger and greater things finally. So thanks DB you halfwitted c**t, you really were our saviour!!!
I know what you mean, where would we be now if we hadn't had the Goldstone sold from underneath us? Probably still be there (with some more South Stand-like terrace to seat conversions) with no hope of a new ground as everyone would say we didn't need it. But 'thanking' the gruesome threesome for setting the events in progress that have led us to Falmer is a bit like 'thanking' the Luftwaffe for helping to re-develop the East End of London.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Don't you dare. Seriously, don't. You know what'll happen, he's a politician, he'll smarm and smile and not answer any question directly. The end result will be a programme where a neutral might say "He came over quite well, I think the Brighton fans misjudged him." Then we'll all get angry all over again.

Edit: Unless of course you want to bring him on as you intend to beat him up live on air and we can hear him begging for mercy. Now THAT will be the best show ever.

I'm pretty sure I know how he'd behave, and I'd probably get very little out of him.

That's not withstanding the fact that the chances of him coming on the show (or me going down to Bath to record an interview - something I've offered to do) are about a billion to one.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
He just can't seem to get his ugly head around the fact that we will ALWAYS hate his guts.
As far as I'm concerned, I will hate that man for as long as I live!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm pretty sure I know how he'd behave, and I'd probably get very little out of him.

That's not withstanding the fact that the chances of him coming on the show (or me going down to Bath to record an interview - something I've offered to do) are about a billion to one.
A better one might be Greg Stanley. He's not as silver-tongued as Bellotti so you should be able to run rings round him - especially if you can stick him in 'hospitality' before the interview! Also, rightly or wrongly, he's not hated quite as much as Archer or Bellotti.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
You know what'll happen, he's a politician, he'll smarm and smile and not answer any question directly. The end result will be a programme where a neutral might say "He came over quite well, I think the Brighton fans misjudged him." Then we'll all get angry all over again.

I met him at the high court Dec 93 I think (was that the day of the Beeney Sale?) and he came across exactly as above. When it all started to kick off with him & Archer a few years later, my mate (non-albion) reminded me of our meeting with Bellotti and I quote "not the same bloke I met, he was okay, are you not a little prejudice against him?"

Well Dave, no I f***ing am not, the bloke was a ****, a weasley, slimy, prick who I have no doubt fiddled his expenses and if he had of found a way, would have sold off the houses or parliment under the governments nose and preached that he left the government in a better state than he found it.

Only thing going for him was he didnt wear an eye patch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here