Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thanks Dad

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
Back in 1972 my dad took me to my first ever game at the Goldstone, and from that day on blue and white was injected into my body. My dad passed away in 2003 but I will forever thank him for that day back in 1972.

Tomorrow, i will be taking 2 of my sons to the game, and for the youngest it will be his first ever Albion game. I hope the impact on him is as great as it was to me back in 1972

Albion for life, not just for a new stadium

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Similar story to you. Lost my dad in 2004. Gonna be an emotional one tomorrow. Didn't realize it'd be but it's crept up on me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Similar story to you. Lost my dad in 2004. Gonna be an emotional one tomorrow. Didn't realize it'd be but it's crept up on me.

Crept up on all of us mate, been watching Brighton stuff all day and have terribly misty eyes.

Very nicely put BFF, my old man also passed away in 2003, although my first game with him was way back in 1960 - the Blackpool game in a couple of weeks will be the 51st anniversary.
I remember us both of us taking my son to his first game at the Goldstone back in the early '90s and seeing that look of excitement in his young eyes. He's 26 now and is down for the weekend to look after this old git tomorrow afternoon; gone out with some ex school mates tonight but the first thing he spoke about when he arrived was his grandad and that look is back in his eyes.
Have a great time with your lads tomorrow, it's a big emotional day for many.

Oct 2, 2008
I was taken to my first game in 1971 aged 9 by my grandfather, Paddy. Though sadly ,at such a young age, I didnt`realise it at the time , he is forty years on still the greatest human being I have ever met. Love you grandad, Rest in peace and will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
1956 was when my dad took me as a 5 year old to my first game at The Goldstone. Might even have been a birthday treat. Too young to remember the details but do remember being passed down to the front and plonked on the wall. He died while we were stuck in Gillingham, day of the last game of the season, away to Lincoln. I had a job holding back the tears last week but may find it a tad difficult tomorrow.

It is going to be one heck of a day.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
As above, but although my Dad passed away a few years ago.... I know he will be sitting there on my shoulder especially tomorrow. Tomorrow we will be re-united and I will remind him, how much I love and miss him. God Bless you "Auld Fella" Missing you loads, the void you have left is massive but one I can deal with. The Grandkids ask about you every day , but you passed me the baton which I have dearly looked after. Now time to pass to LJ ?

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
Sitting here right now with my 12 year old at this late hour for him, because we just can't sleep!

If you chopped his legs in half they'd be blue and white striped.

Tomorrow is about everyone's dads and all of our kids. :clap:

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Echo all if this. Dad took me to my first game in 1981 and it's been the best thing he has ever done for me. The best gift possible. Fortunately, unlike some others, he will be with me at the match tomorrow along with my own son who is now as devout as we are. Happy happy days.

The father son going to football is as old as time and is a truly magical thing

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Great thread. To so many people tomorrow is just about a new football ground opening for its first league match. To many, many others it goes to the core of who we are emotionally - it's not just a ground opening it's a reconnection with family, where we come from, and for more importantly for those we've lost.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Same story for me. My dad first took me in 1972 and I've been hooked ever since. Expecting our first child in a few weeks and I hope one day to take him or her along to our fantastic new home just like my Dad took me. Be thinking of him tomorrow as I am sure many fans will be thinking of there friends and family who never made it to see this great day. RIP Dad, Seagulls! and as my Dad always said.....Smile!

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
I’m ashamed to confess that I cannot remember my very first Albion game, though I do remember the 1969/1970 League cup game against Wolves. Last Saturday was hard work, choked standing in disbelief in our new home taking in the celebration. Yesterday was hard work too, watching all the snippets on the TV and listening to the audio documentary on the Beeb, while blubbing. Peter Ward going on about the 30,000’ish crowds that we used to get at every home game, the games against Palarse, West Ham, Manure, Liverpool, Spurs etc. everything flooding back. Then I remembered my Dad, he will not physically be with us today, we stood together in every stand at the Goldstone, but I lost him in 2000, he is always in my heart and now lives in my son. Another very emotional day today, as my son and I take our seats and sing (if I can get the words out this week), I’ll have to bring tissues.

Sep 1, 2010
Will be slipping a picture of my dad into my wallet next to my smartcard today. Took me to my first game in 1973, i was two though so do not remember it. He passed away in 2008 but be in my thoughts all day. Gonna be emotional for sure.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My story is different from you guys...I only wish my Dad had taken me to football,but he hated it and in those days could'nt travel to the Goldstone.I went because I wanted to,first game was Dec 1958 v Sunderland...I was 19 and hooked. Passed this on to my great son and he has passed it on to my two great granchildren....keep the flag flying.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I’m ashamed to confess that I cannot remember my very first Albion game, though I do remember the 1969/1970 League cup game against Wolves. Last Saturday was hard work, choked standing in disbelief in our new home taking in the celebration. Yesterday was hard work too, watching all the snippets on the TV and listening to the audio documentary on the Beeb, while blubbing. Peter Ward going on about the 30,000’ish crowds that we used to get at every home game, the games against Palarse, West Ham, Manure, Liverpool, Spurs etc. everything flooding back. Then I remembered my Dad, he will not physically be with us today, we stood together in every stand at the Goldstone, but I lost him in 2000, he is always in my heart and now lives in my son. Another very emotional day today, as my son and I take our seats and sing (if I can get the words out this week), I’ll have to bring tissues.[/QUOTE

I don't know about bringing tissues - I need them now after reading that. Great post. I will be taking one of my sons today as well. Very proud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here