Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tennis & 'plastic' sports fans

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
I've actually gone off tennis due to the irritation caused by the sheer volume of people who are usually non sports fans, who suddenly become huge tennis fans once a year.

What the hell is this all about!? Sports are the domain of sports fans, you can't just dip in and out.

Does this strange phenomenon occurr in any other sports?

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
But Wimbledons always been like that. if only hardened tennis fans or 'sports fans' as you called them turn up it wouldn't sell out every day for 2 weeks!

i've been to see a number of other sports live which i wouldn't class myself a true fan of

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Tennis is the worst offender. Everyone suddenly becomes an expert on, say, Andy Murray's chances and 'ooh now Nadal's out' etc etc, just cos it's fecking Wimbledon.

Ask them to name the current holder of any other Grand Slam, and they haven't got a clue.

The Boat Race is also the only rowing that anybody ever watches for four years, until the Olympics.

I've actually gone off tennis due to the irritation caused by the sheer volume of people who are usually non sports fans, who suddenly become huge tennis fans once a year.

What the hell is this all about!? Sports are the domain of sports fans, you can't just dip in and out.

It happens every two years in football.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Tennis is a rubbish example in my opinion though. A huge amount of people do not have access to watchingTennis on a regular basis and a fair percentage of the time it is on at a silly time of night to watch it live even if they can. This has been caused by a tradition of the standard broadcasters largely ignoring any other Tennis tournament until it came to Wimbledon. This has changed with Sky in recent years.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Football & 'plastic' sports fans

I've actually gone off football due to the irritation caused by the sheer volume of people who are usually non sports fans, who suddenly become huge football fans once every two years.

Any different, same with Golf when the Ryder Cup come round, Rugby World Cup, Ashes etc etc etc

And of course the "only" annual cycling started yestderday

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Not sure how you work that out. Personally, I watch tennis most of the year - in fact I now watch golf, tennis & cricket probably more than football these days. Then, my dad was a tennis coach.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
American Football with the Superbowl, although I think to be fair most of those people will hold their hands up and say that they don't really follow or even understand the game, but fancy watching it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not sure how you work that out. Personally, I watch tennis most of the year - in fact I now watch golf, tennis & cricket probably more than football these days. Then, my dad was a tennis coach.

In which case he's not referring to you, who is a 'proper' tennis fan by the sounds of it.

They were talking about this the other day on talksport, tennis is the sport for people who don't like sport.

I watched a bit of wimbledon yesterday and cringed when they interviewed some of the plastics in fancy dress, they literally had no clue about tennis and could speak at length about their outfits but went a bit quiet when asked about Andy Murrays' chances.

The stupid thing is that Wimbledon is probably the least entertaining of all the grand slams. The US and Aussie opens are both much better tennis to watch if you're a casual spectator like me, who just likes watching live sport.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I think if you get switched off a sport just because of other people then perhaps it is you that is the plastic!

This. Also I don't think they are getting much pussy.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In which case he's not referring to you, who is a 'proper' tennis fan by the sounds of it.

They were talking about this the other day on talksport, tennis is the sport for people who don't like sport.

I watched a bit of wimbledon yesterday and cringed when they interviewed some of the plastics in fancy dress, they literally had no clue about tennis and could speak at length about their outfits but went a bit quiet when asked about Andy Murrays' chances.

The stupid thing is that Wimbledon is probably the least entertaining of all the grand slams. The US and Aussie opens are both much better tennis to watch if you're a casual spectator like me, who just likes watching live sport.

Yeah, I pretty much agree. I would say, I love watching Wimbles under the roof for atmos like last nights match. Don't much care if the people there are proper fans or not, it sounded pretty good. So few people actually play tennis in this country (relatively), that it's bound to happen. But you could name any of the marquee sports events during the year and it would be similar, the Boat Race, Grand National, the Ashes even. Take the atmosphere at the FA Cup Final, it's not as good as the League Cup Final, cos there are more of the participating clubs fans at the league cup final -still I imagine at the FA CF, the others are probably at least footie fans.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I watch tennis all year round on Eurosport and Sky, and on Bet365 when they have dodgy feeds for betting in play. But I don't feel the people who only watch Wimbledon are plastics, but then I don't have a chip on my shoulder because I've stayed up all night watching the Aussie and US Opens for the last few years.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The Boat Race is also the only rowing that anybody ever watches for four years, until the Olympics.

That's because it's boring... The same two teams always get to the final FFS!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton

The stupid thing is that Wimbledon is probably the least entertaining of all the grand slams. The US and Aussie opens are both much better tennis to watch if you're a casual spectator like me, who just likes watching live sport.[/QUOTE]

not digging, just wondered you felt this way?

D

Deleted member 18477

bollocks Wimbledon is better than the Aussie and US! Nadal v federer a few years back was simply the best tennis I have ever seen and still is to this very day.

Anyway plastic sports fans don't bother me at all because I am one in most sports.

I only watch the 4 golf majors and ryder cup
I only watch the 4 grand slams in tennis
I dip in and out of the NFL but watch with more interest when it gets to the playoffs
I only watch the 6 nations and rugby world cup and the occasional England test against SA, Aus or NZ.
I only watch British boxers and the super fights.
I only watch the grand national. Although do go to some race days for a day out and to get pissed. I know nothing about horse racing but its fun.
I only watch some of the Olympics and world championships (mainly highlights on BBC website)

... Football I watch pretty much every game that I can and record MOTD & football league show. Also watch every F1 race and seem to watch a lot of England cricket matches so I guess they are my main non plastic sports.

If I didn't work, had no friends and no life then I would be an expert at all sports. But seeing as I like most people have things to do its hard not to be a plastic with most sports... I do well to watch as much sport as I do currently!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fantastic reasoning. I've been supporting Brighton for 25 years, but so many are jumping on the band wagon now I don't think I'll bother anymore. Might give it one last chance this season, and if the crowds don't drop that's it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I only watch the 4 grand slams in tennis

Puts you head and shoulders above the vast, vast majority of Tennis 'fans', I bet 90% of people watching Wimbledon in this country couldn't tell you what order the grand slams are played in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here