Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tennis [emoji462] The French open

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Here we go then, who knows how many of these matches we’ll have left so worth watching this if you appreciate sport at the very highest level.

Rafa 2/1 on clay….incredible.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lots of privileged tennis players bleating about Wimbledon's unfairness in banning Russian competitors, forcing the ATP to remove their ranking points, the poor lambs, just because of some silly disturbances in Ukraine. As far as I'm concerned, they can all disappear up their own .....................
If (and it's a big if) I was ever going to watch any of Wimbledon anyway, I won't be now!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Lots of privileged tennis players bleating about Wimbledon's unfairness in banning Russian competitors, forcing the ATP to remove their ranking points, the poor lambs, just because of some silly disturbances in Ukraine. As far as I'm concerned, they can all disappear up their own .....................
If (and it's a big if) I was ever going to watch any of Wimbledon anyway, I won't be now!

But wouldn't your logic dictate that you're more likely to watch Wimbledon now that the British LTA have made a stand?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But wouldn't your logic dictate that you're more likely to watch Wimbledon now that the British LTA have made a stand?
No. Not only am I appalled at the attitude of some of the players, but I am absolutely totally and utterly uninterested in watching tennis. In fact there are many things (some of them quite unpleasant or even painful) I would rather do than watch tennis!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
No. Not only am I appalled at the attitude of some of the players, but I am absolutely totally and utterly uninterested in watching tennis. In fact there are many things (some of them quite unpleasant or even painful) I would rather do than watch tennis!

Then why are you on a tennis thread you oddball?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Then why are you on a tennis thread you oddball?
Well, unlike some, I don't think tennis (or other sports) should exist in a cosy little vacuum where nothing else is important, even if people are dying in their hundreds. The oddballs are the ones who think it should remain detached from the real world, just as long as everything bobs along nicely without anything nasty getting in the way.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Well, unlike some, I don't think tennis (or other sports) should exist in a cosy little vacuum where nothing else is important, even if people are dying in their hundreds. The oddballs are the ones who think it should remain detached from the real world, just as long as everything bobs along nicely without anything nasty getting in the way.

Well no one on this thread has implied that at all, yet you keep jumping in.

Anyway, back to a great game of tennis between two giants (one who has shown himself to be a complete bellend but a brilliant player still). I still wonder whether the winner of this tournament will come from the other side of the draw, perhaps the young Norwegian...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well no one on this thread has implied that at all, yet you keep jumping in.

Anyway, back to a great game of tennis between two giants (one who has shown himself to be a complete bellend but a brilliant player still). I still wonder whether the winner of this tournament will come from the other side of the draw, perhaps the young Norwegian...

No? But even so, one of them is a bellend. Politics (or just common decency) not entirely ruled out then.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
On the Russia/Belarus players, they should be banned because to see a winner from either country would be used in Russia as propaganda and this simply can't be allowed to happen. "Russia wins in Britain" etc. However, I massively sympathise with athletes from these countries, many of whom are welll travelled and atuned to what is going on and many of whom will be anti-war but too scared to say anything. I know the irony of Medvedev getting number 1 ranking if Djokovic doesn't win Wimbledon. But Putin will play dirty with any Russian success and present it as a victory for his country in an enemy state and I fail to understand why the ATP can't recognise this. To strip Wimbledon of the ranking points is a spineless move.

This match is at least two of the best three tennis players of all time but probably the best two ever on clay playing some of the most brilliant tennis I have seen. Marathon match for the times. Nadal was unbelievable in the first set. Neither will give up. It's an epic.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Tie-break if anyone is interested!

Very much interested and very much watching, also put a decent sum on Rafa at 2/1!

Yet again spectacular viewing. Not the highest quality they’ve ever displayed but the intensity and mental strength and fitness. Incredible.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Very much interested and very much watching, also put a decent sum on Rafa at 2/1!

Yet again spectacular viewing. Not the highest quality they’ve ever displayed but the intensity and mental strength and fitness. Incredible.

What a match! They were getting tired but neither would back down.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
BBC Sport sums it up perfectly...

Game, set and match Nadal.

The King of Clay. Long live the King.

nadal.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Absolutely brilliant. It is incredible that these too STILL dominate the game, and it's always nice to see Rafa come out on top.

Glad I'm not at work today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here