Technical Help - Opening Word Docs

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Not sure what started this, but for the past week or two I've not been able to open Word Docs sent to me as email attachments. I get this message after I've downloaded. I have to open in Wordpad but it's a drag and I need the functionality of Word. Does anyone have any ideas? None of the three things in the warning work/or are the problem. Driving me nuts!

OpeningProbs_zps18458a68.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Reinstall office/word, and take the option to repair.

Clear out your cache before you do it though and give it a go

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Not sure what started this, but for the past week or two I've not been able to open Word Docs sent to me as email attachments. I get this message after I've downloaded. I have to open in Wordpad but it's a drag and I need the functionality of Word. Does anyone have any ideas? None of the three things in the warning work/or are the problem. Driving me nuts!

Are they word docs or open office? (.osd) somettimes word has problems with .osd

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's office starter and was preloaded when I bought the lappy about 18 months ago ... no disc

Ah...have a look on the office web site...there are some excellent forums on there and they may be able to help.

Also if it was a install...there may be a system partition you can repair from where they hide the install files

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012

I've had this before, if it's the same problem I had it's due to you having an older version of word, .docx files are generated by newer versions, older ones will not open them, you need to download a compatibilty program, I have included the link to the download, it's cosher as it's a microsoft download, hope this helps :thumbsup:

Download: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Viruses (Trojans) are sent by EMail with the .doc suffix. Beware !

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I've had this before, if it's the same problem I had it's due to you having an older version of word, .docx files are generated by newer versions, older ones will not open them, you need to download a compatibilty program, I have included the link to the download, it's cosher as it's a microsoft download, hope this helps :thumbsup:

Download: Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

Thanks took a look but 'fraid not. I'm on latest version and only just started being a prob 2 weeks ago

you can also install Word readers and converters from the microsoft website as an interim.

Thanks .. will give it a go

Ah...have a look on the office web site...there are some excellent forums on there and they may be able to help.

Also if it was a install...there may be a system partition you can repair from where they hide the install files

Found a forum and posted .. thx

Yoda

English & European
It's office starter and was preloaded when I bought the lappy about 18 months ago ... no disc

You can still run a repair by going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programes > Select Microsoft Office (which ever version you are running) > Change > Repair

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports