Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tech help, please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have never been able to install our HP Photosmart C4 100 series printer onto this computer.
That's not stopped me trying one more time, and once again I get the same message:-

'An error occured during the installation of the device. The required section was not found in the INF'.

So what does that mean?
How can I fix it?

As always, please please remember I know nothing about this, when explaining (if you can) think of me as your 80 year old deaf granny.

I have tried turning it off and on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for finding that Maffew.
It turns out I didn't have 'USB printing support', whatever that is.
Anyway I've got it now and am currently installing the printer, for the 1st time in over a year.

Once again, thanks for your help.

sammy

Aug 23, 2005
portslade
Also if you still have problems,its worth a try e.mailing their support section for help as I had a prob loading HP Photosmart all in one,and they helped and would not give up until they sorted it out,very good support team.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Please help an 'oldie' I am sure the answer is very simple but going onto Excel help and doingwhat they say doesnt work.
I have a cd rw to which I want to add data etc but it is read only how do I remove the read only so that I can write to it.

I get as far on the excel help to the point were it says clear read only tick but that part on the general menu is not highlighted so not able to click on it or clear it. Works ok on files in my docs but not on a cd.

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
With a RW CD you can't once it's burnt. The only way to do it is to copy the files on the CD to your hard drive, add the data and then format the CD and reburn the augmented file.

You might want to consider a pen drive (memory stick) next time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I clicked on erase cd and did that then copied the data from my hard drive, which is not read only back onto the cd and still it is read only. Does erasing the cd automatically format it or do I have to do something else to format it myself. Sorry to be such a thickie.

I clicked on erase cd and did that then copied the data from my hard drive, which is not read only back onto the cd and still it is read only. Does erasing the cd automatically format it or do I have to do something else to format it myself. Sorry to be such a thickie.

BG I don't think that you will be able to change the data once it is on the CD. What you need to do is what you've just done, but make any changes you want to make to the Excel file BEFORE writing it to the CD.

Writing to CD the CD has to be 'closed', which means effectively made read only, in order to work in a PC. However the benefit of a RW is that you can repeatedly scratch and rewrite data. It doesn't change the fact that the CD, while in usable format, is read only.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Well as it's a RW CD what did you use to copy the file ? What bit of software ? You can't just cut and paste like a conventional drive or floppy. You need some burning software like Nero or Roxio. If you haven't try here - Free Software Downloads and Reviews - Download.com to see if you can get some free software for burning.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have Nero 6 but I didnt use that I tried to copy the data from my hard drive to the cd rw using the standard windows format on my pc wheere it says on the left hand side of the screen copy files then write to Cd. Is a CD RW already formatted so that if I used a new one it would be ok.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have Nero 6 but I didnt use that I tried to copy the data from my hard drive to the cd rw using the standard windows format on my pc wheere it says on the left hand side of the screen copy files then write to Cd. Is a CD RW already formatted so that if I used a new one it would be ok.

No, you will need to use your Nero to burn that file on onto ANY CD. Nero will allow you to drag and drop like Windows though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thanks for all of the help I have now mastered it. I thought it would be simple I just have to reverse the process. When scanning bank statements etc to cd I use a CD R and then copy to my hard drive as a back up and each additional statement each month is added, but using a CD RW I have to use the hard drive as the master and ciopy that to the CD. I am sure that life was meant to be simple and people like me make it difficult. Once again many thanks for the help given.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Thanks for all of the help I have now mastered it. I thought it would be simple I just have to reverse the process. When scanning bank statements etc to cd I use a CD R and then copy to my hard drive as a back up and each additional statement each month is added, but using a CD RW I have to use the hard drive as the master and ciopy that to the CD. I am sure that life was meant to be simple and people like me make it difficult. Once again many thanks for the help given.

CDs and DVDs make good backup mediums but they're not as flexible as a conventional disks or memory sticks. I have all sorts of different toys for different situations but that's because I use them all the time at work. However, unless you need to perform this sort of task often best to stick with what you have. You might also consider copying to another CD so that you can keep it elsewhere, like a relative's house. That way you know that if your house gets hit by a tidal wave you still should have a backup (unless your relative lives next door !)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here