Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Teams that switch ends at kick off

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
At a shit level when there’s winds off the sea (and high balls lumped forward) plus rain blowing sideways into your face I can understand it. But not really for anything at the Amex etc. if just to do with routine and fans position. I doubt players even really notice the crowd to that degree unless it’s a penalty or corner.

As a player I also quite liked wind in my face as longer passes hold up for forwards to run onto instead of racing off ahead and off the pitch or to the keeper.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The sad Statto in me started to keep records of our performances/results when we started at the Amex!:facepalm:
Tony Bloom should be the patron saint of Statto's.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
So it's happened 24 times in the 287 games at the Amex so far and yes, weirdly, a couple of teams do seem to favour it (Burnley, Leeds and Newcastle 3 times. Only 1 of them winning in those 9 games). Our record is still very good when teams try it even though it just feels wrong when it happens. Of the 23 goals the oppo have scored, only 8 of them have come in the 1st half when kicking towards their own fans, so no big advantage seemingly gained. Curse of the commentator for the next time it happens I'm sure, but we've never lost on a Saturday when it's occurred.:cool:
Here is the record of the times it's happened.

View attachment 165996
I would think that the Arsenal match of Dec.'20 was a barely consequential end-switch, seeing as there were no fans in the ground :)

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington
Would be fascinated to see that! I'm sure many on here would too!
In case a not tongue in cheek request, here is our record of when goals have been scored and conceded at the Amex:cool:

1693910331859.png

We've played 34 different teams on TV since arriving at the Amex and the record in those games reads: Pld 103, W36, D31, L36
Prem Lge: Pld 68, W 18, D25, L25
Championship: Pld 21, W9, D5, L7 (inc. 3 Play Off games, W0, D1, L2)
FA Cup: Pld 10, W7, D1, L2
LGE Cup: Pld 4, W2, D0, L2

Played most times -
9 - Newcastle
8 - Arsenal
7 - Manchester United
6 - Manchester City, Spurs
5 - Crystal Palace, Liverpool
4 - Chelsea, Derby, Leeds, Watford, Wolves
3 - Aston Villa, Bournemouth, Burnley, Everton, West Ham
2 - Brentford, Leicester, Nottingham Forest, Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton
1 - Blackpool, Fulham, Grimsby, Hull, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Reading, Sheffield United, Stoke, Sunderland, WBA, Yeovil

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
In case a not tongue in cheek request, here is our record of when goals have been scored and conceded at the Amex:cool:

View attachment 166038

We've played 34 different teams on TV since arriving at the Amex and the record in those games reads: Pld 103, W36, D31, L36

Played most times -
9 - Newcastle
8 - Arsenal
7 - Manchester United
1 - Blackpool, Fulham, Grimsby, Hull, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Reading, Sheffield United, Stoke, Sunderland, WBA, Yeovil
3 thinks that jump out from that:

- How many more goals we actually score towards the North Stand?
- We've never scored towards the North Stand in extra time??? (Can't be true?)
- And we haven't been on TV more against Palace.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

Man U?
Ali Mac pen. Must be loads more.

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington

Extra time is for Cup games, not injury/added on time. The 75-90 min category is where injury/added on time goals are recorded (for now;)). I'll go away and work out injury/added on time goals.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So it's happened 24 times in the 287 games at the Amex so far and yes, weirdly, a couple of teams do seem to favour it (Burnley, Leeds and Newcastle 3 times. Only 1 of them winning in those 9 games). Our record is still very good when teams try it even though it just feels wrong when it happens. Of the 23 goals the oppo have scored, only 8 of them have come in the 1st half when kicking towards their own fans, so no big advantage seemingly gained. Curse of the commentator for the next time it happens I'm sure, but we've never lost on a Saturday when it's occurred.:cool:
Here is the record of the times it's happened.

View attachment 165996
I absolutely love this. When I started this thread I hoped that someone would come up with this stat. Thank you. :clap2:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

View attachment 166038

Played most times -
9 - Newcastle
8 - Arsenal
7 - Manchester United
This is honestly, incredible. Thank you for sharing.

Jimmy Grimble

Extra time is for Cup games, not injury/added on time. The 75-90 min category is where injury/added on time goals are recorded (for now;)). I'll go away and work out injury/added on time goals.
Incredible work. I’m scratching my head trying to remember the ET goal we scored?

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington
So just worked out the added on/injury time time goals from the 75-90 min section which originally included them and this is the update.
19 goals inc. 3 penalties for and 15 goals inc. 2 pens against.

1693945402618.png

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
@WASH your switch ends stats need updating. Damn those cunning Greeks. :mad:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You missed a "t" in cunning.
Naughty :ROFLMAO:

When they switched ends, I loudly proclaimed they were doomed based on the stats from this thread. How wrong I was. How wrong I was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here