Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Brezovan
Bruno Upson Dunk Ward
Buckley Andrews Ince Forster-Caskey
Lingard
Ulloa

Subs: Kuszczak, Calderón, March, López, Lualua, Chicksen, Obika​

If Stephens is 90% fit, change for Chicksen on the bench.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely this.

Too many dropped points at home will cost us.

Back five picks itself, then

Ince
Stephens

March or if fit Orlandi.
Buckley
Lingard

Ulloa

IF Spanish Dave has to play put him in central midfield in front of Stephens and Ince, not out wide.

Then Two from Buckley, Lingard, Orlandi and March.

Agree completely.

We need to play 2 wide plus Lingard and Ulloa.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Kuszczak

Bruno - Dunk - Upson - Ward

Ince - Stephens

Buckley - Spanish or Lingard - Lingard or LuaLua

Ulloa​

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd like to see

Kuszczak

Bruno
Dunk
Upson
Ward

Ince
Stephens
Lopez

Buckley
Ulloa
Lingard

There's two identical teams from DFP + Bold Seagull. It's the team that I not only want, but actually expect Oscar to pick. I do think that in the absence of Orlandi, and the availability of four wingers/wide players (March, Buckley, Lingard, LuaLua), it's time to see Lopez in the creative central role.
Mellotron: you say Stephens has been passed fit -- source?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm quite surprised by people picking Andrews in their starting 11.

Andrews has been a bit up-and-down since he's been here, but I thought he was good against Reading, especially when we had ten men. He got in an impressive number of blocks, and used his experience well. Still wouldn't pick him for tomorrow though, as I like the line-up that you and Bold Seagull have gone for.

IndianaPaul

Kingdom Of Withdean
Dec 19, 2008
Neuer
Dani Alves
Pique
Kompany
Baines

Ince
Iniesta

Bale
Messi
Ronaldo

Suarez

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
.................................Koosh..............................
Bruno..Calderon ..Dunk...Rea...Upson..Chicksen..Ward
..............................Ince....Andrews....................

...................................Ulloa..............................

Subs: March, Lualua, Orlandi, Monakana, Buckley, Lingard, Obika

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That would be tactical suicide much too attacking and leave us weak in defence.

We can only play on one wing at at time. Two wingers is giving an extra player to the opposition. Stupid.

March is left sided. He could replace Forster-Caskey from the bench. He could then push forward like Scholes, but it still leaves a hole which Forster-Caskey or Orlandi cannot fill. This is a risk all teams have to take though.

I see Dunk as a key player. I hope he is up to the challenge. Ward will be key as well.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
.................................Koosh..............................
Bruno..Calderon ..Dunk...Rea...Upson..Chicksen..Ward
..............................Ince....Andrews....................

...................................Ulloa..............................

Subs: March, Lualua, Orlandi, Monakana, Buckley, Lingard, Obika

Excellent team. At least we would get the same amount of shots in per game with this side.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You'll have to tell Jose Mourinho your thoughts in that case. Only last week Chelsea lined up with this midfield and strikeforce:

........Ramires ... Matic........
Schurrle ... Oscar ... Hazard
..............Torres.............

That's four out-and-out attacking players with two sitting behind.

Or we could look at the second most successful team to play this formation, Arsenal. In their last game Wenger selected:

...................Flamini ... Arteta.........
Oxlade-Chamberlain ... Ozil ... Cazorla.......
........................Sanogo.......................

Again, four attacking players.

Compare it to the Albion, and we usually have three defensive-minded central players, the slow, out of form and unlikely to score goals Lopez on one side and just TWO genuine threatening attackers. You might think it's tactically naïve, but I (and Jose and Arsene obviously) think you cannot have an 8-2 ratio of defensive-attacking players, it has to be more like 6-4.

No no no, there is only one striker in those line ups, therefore it must be a defensive line up. Boring, defensive football, you need to have two strikers up front to be able to attack.

(This post is aimed at the likes of Goldstone, Mutts Nuts etc, just in case you thought it was serious).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Koosh

Bruno Ward

Andrews Ince Stephens

Lua-Lua Lopez Ulloa Orlandi March

2-3-5. Let's go proper old school

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You'll have to tell Jose Mourinho your thoughts in that case. Only last week Chelsea lined up with this midfield and strikeforce:

........Ramires ... Matic........
Schurrle ... Oscar ... Hazard
..............Torres.............

That's four out-and-out attacking players with two sitting behind.

Or we could look at the second most successful team to play this formation, Arsenal. In their last game Wenger selected:

...................Flamini ... Arteta.........
Oxlade-Chamberlain ... Ozil ... Cazorla.......
........................Sanogo.......................

Again, four attacking players.

Compare it to the Albion, and we usually have three defensive-minded central players, the slow, out of form and unlikely to score goals Lopez on one side and just TWO genuine threatening attackers. You might think it's tactically naïve, but I (and Jose and Arsene obviously) think you cannot have an 8-2 ratio of defensive-attacking players, it has to be more like 6-4.

I like your argument, which is persuasive but only up to a point. The difference is that Chelsea and Arsenal have more money at their disposal, hence better players. The same cannot be said for Brighton. We're competing against clubs with substantial parachute payments and some that are ignoring FFP.
Chelsea are assisted in that Ramires is one quality player, who manages to put in a mightily impressive shift -- I don't know the stats, but I'd be surprised if there are any other PL players that cover more ground in a game, on a regular basis. This point almost indicates that Chelsea play with five attacking players, but that doesn't sound like Mourinho to me. Chelsea's attacking four also get through no end of work, a key requirement for Mourinho.
I'm not entirely convinced that our attacking/creative players have the same energy levels, and only Buckley and LuaLua have searing pace (if of different sorts).
But I do agree that Oscar's line-ups have been too defensive of late. For tonight, the back five picks itself, and I'd like to see Lopez playing attacking midfield -- or, more precisely, the creative role -- ahead of Ince and Stephens, with Lingard and probably Buckley out wide, supporting Ulloa. This, with the view to bringing March and LuaLua in the final third of the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here