Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Team vs Barnsley

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I know this is a boring question that prob gets asked a lot but if Hunt can make the bench do we have any attacking U23's there or thereabouts? I guess we would have seen them vs Reading if so.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
A Belgian International is not an improvement on Bong? Bong has been overtaken by the quality added to our team in the last year, I think that Pocognoli is a step up in pedigree but he needs to show us something. I wasn't there last night for his debut, but I hope to see him on saturday. I have nothing against Bong, I just think that he has been overtaken by the quality around him and isn't up to the current standard of the team.

Tuesday night I found it very noticeable that 99% of the time Pocognoli got the ball, he went backwards with it. Very frustrating. Granted, it was his debut so I won't judge on one game, but needs to get out of that habit please.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
To keep repeating the same mistake of pairing Hemed and Baldock will be Hughtons downfall, everyone knows they don't score goals so why keep putting them in the team ?

None of the forward combinations work though

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
-------------- Stockdale --------------
Bruno ------- Daffy ------- Duck ------ Bong*
Knockaert -- Kayal -- Stephens -- Murphy
----------- Manu ------- Hemed ----------------

Subs: Maaenpa, Goldson, Pocognoli, Sidwell, Skalak, Baldock, Murray

* Bong has been very poor, but Pocognoli still isn't up to starting, but will be in a week or two. In other words, Bong's got that length of time to earn his place. Elvis deserves a start to show what he can do. I think I'd prefer Skalak and Murray coming on after an hour or so to exploit a tiring opposition.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Very different how? Hemed fancies himself a target man, whilst not being strong or good enough in the air to achieve it. I know I come across a Murray fanboy but I genuinely cannot think of a single attribute where Tomer beats Glenn.

Heading
Finishing
Positional sense
Passing
Movement
Link play
Defensive help at set pieces

Murray is comfortably better at all of them. Pace wise they're about even.

In my opinion he's the best striker at the club so we should be setting up the side to get the most out of him. Hemed and Murray together will not. I think Murray and Manu just might. We know Baldock and Hemed probably isn't quite good enough.

100% agree

Finishing - disagree, I would say Hemed's finishing is better

Positional sense - Wouldn't like to say either way, think they are both good at this. Exampled in last nights goal.

Passing - Hemed, comfortably IMO - much better with his feet.

Movement - again disagree, Murray is slower than Hemed, over a distance and with his feet.

If he plays Saturday just spend ten minutes watching nothing but Murray. His movement AND positional play are streaks ahead of Hemed. He is intelligent, pro-active whereas Hemed feels reactive to me.

Don't get me wrong I like Hemed but just expected Murray to be the main man. I think for me his goal against Forest typified why he's the better striker as he took up a very intelligent position in a Zamora type fashion and his finish was intelligent and cute.

Would say their respective passing is pretty equal unless Hemed is passing to Kayal on which case he has a 100% success rate....

Getting bored of saying it, Murray is better than Hemed whatever way you look at it.

That doesn't mean I think Murray should start every game.

What is obvious though is Murray and Hemed is not a good combination

Absolutely and it's partially understandable that CH wants to revert to a partnership that HAD success last year in Hemed/Baldock but with Baldock not performing he needs to mix it up and on the evidence so far Hemed with one of Murphy/Knockaert behind doesn't seem to be very fruitful atm.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Personally I'd go

Stockdale
Bruno Dunk Duffy Bong
Stephens Kayal
Knockeart Manu Skalak
Hemed​

In a 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 style formation.

Manu starting partly because of how he performed v Reading and when he came on against Brentford and partly because I think Knockeart is wasted centrally.

Skalak and Murphy have both been poor so far this season so I don't think we should play both of them together.I also think starting Manu would be a real statement from CH. From being deadwood at the start of the season to starting a league game by the end of September sends a message to every player in that squad, down to the U-18's that if you impress, you can get yourself in first team contention.

Skalak LM because he's better defensively IMO and Bong needs all the help he can get at the moment. I don't think Manu has the tactical nous to play a given role so just drop him between the Barnsley defence and midfield where he can pick the ball up and run at people. Also means he can drift out wide and let AK have the freedom to cut inside.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
On last nights showing, granted his first game for us, he was most certainly not an improvement on Bong as I
have said a number of times and must have gone down hill fast from when he played for Belgium. That would be the only fast thing about him.
People have defended his contribution by saying he took a knock for the red card but Meridian have just shown it wasnt him but Norwood who got crunched for the reds card I think that you are wrongly judging him by his reputation and not ability shown. With games he may prove to be better but not at the moment..

It was his first game for about 6 months or something.... a couple more reserve games and weeks training and if Bong's form does not improve then will be the time to change it if needed.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
Stockdale
Bruno Duffy Dunk Bong
Knockaert Kayal Stephens Murphy
Hemed Manu/Baldock

Maenpaa
Hunt/Poc
Goldson
Norwood/Sidwell
Skalak
Murray
Manu/Baldock

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
-------------- Stockdale --------------
Bruno ------- Daffy ------- Duck ------ Bong*
Knockaert -- Kayal -- Stephens -- Murphy
----------- Manu ------- Hemed ----------------

Subs: Maaenpa, Goldson, Pocognoli, Sidwell, Skalak, Baldock, Murray

* Bong has been very poor, but Pocognoli still isn't up to starting, but will be in a week or two. In other words, Bong's got that length of time to earn his place. Elvis deserves a start to show what he can do. I think I'd prefer Skalak and Murray coming on after an hour or so to exploit a tiring opposition.

Bong was one of our better players against Brentford, faultless against Huddersfield and can't say for Burton as wasn't there.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On last nights showing, granted his first game for us, he was most certainly not an improvement on Bong as I
have said a number of times and must have gone down hill fast from when he played for Belgium. That would be the only fast thing about him.
People have defended his contribution by saying he took a knock for the red card but Meridian have just shown it wasnt him but Norwood who got crunched for the reds card I think that you are wrongly judging him by his reputation and not ability shown. With games he may prove to be better but not at the moment..

It was definitely Pocognoli who got clattered for the red card, and was treated for injury later on in the game due to another clumsy tackle.
Bong started warming up immediately whilst Poco was having treatment, because the bench weren't sure Poco would be able to stay on the pitch. I was on the front row just the left of the bench so saw it all in front of me.

I think Poco will replace Bong sooner or later, although this Saturday may be too soon.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Poco will replace Bong sooner or later, although this Saturday may be too soon.

Indeed. Lets not kid ourselves, if Rosenior was fully fit then he would be occupying the LB slot right now while Bong regains his form.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Indeed. Lets not kid ourselves, if Rosenior was fully fit then he would be occupying the LB slot right now while Bong regains his form.

I think it all potentially has a knock on effect on Skalak, who is never the best defensively, and therefore needs someone rock solid at LB behind him. Stick Rosenior in and I bet we'd be seeing a more effective Skalak.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Bong was one of our better players against Brentford, faultless against Huddersfield and can't say for Burton as wasn't there.

Well, I thought Bong was shocking against Brentford, one of the worst performances I've seen from one of our players at the Amex. He was OK against Huddersfield and, like you, I am ill-equipped to comment on Burton.
I like Bong, but he hasn't recovered the form he had prior to his injury and has had a very poor season in my view. It might be turning round.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well, I thought Bong was shocking against Brentford, one of the worst performances I've seen from one of our players at the Amex. He was OK against Huddersfield and, like you, I am ill-equipped to comment on Burton.
I like Bong, but he hasn't recovered the form he had prior to his injury and has had a very poor season in my view. It might be turning round.

Hopefully looking over his shoulder at the new LB....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here