[Albion] Team for Southampton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
You're having a problem here:
-- City, very much agreed
-- Norwich, hmmm, just how many did he concede?
-- Liverpool, explain away how he should have saved those three (I'm sure you will)
-- United, see Liverpool
-- Leicester, see Norwich
-- Arsenal, is it cos he is too short?

You also either didn't see the calamities Button produced, or have conveniently forgotten them.

Actually, the team has the problem. The goalkeeper can only pass 10 yards without putting the ball out of play and in the 6 games since the restart, we have conceded 12 goals from 31 shots on target (according to statistics on the Albion website). Based on that, if we can prevent Southampton having more than 2 shots on target, we might be in with a shout of a clean sheet. Norwich had 1 shot on target, Leicester had 2.

We'll see what happens tonight - clearly Ryan will start the game because Button's not very good but hopefully he'll have some genuine competition next season. I don't rate Button particularly highly but he should be capable of playing a game or two from time to time.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think we need to start and go with the best available team who will be here next season.

Anyone's guess what that is.. I'd personally go for the 4-2-3-1 Ryan, Lamptey, Webster, Dunk, Burn, Mooy, Propper , Alexis, Gross, Trossard, Maupay

Jahanbaksh atleast needs to be on the bench, Bissouma can come on and add energy and change the game if we're losing, Murray needs to be an option from the bench as well possibly March as well

Agree I wanna see Jahankbaksh and Lamptey but I think AJ is not favoured and will probably be sold so not sure potter will even include him at all!

Its good line up but Biss is firmly in our best 11 currently. I never like Mooy and Gross starting in the same side.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Majority seem to want Propper and Webster to play, but then majority (a different one?��) criticise them for frequent mistakes... just saying like.

Anyone want Stephens and Duffy to start against Saints?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Quote Originally Posted by timbha View Post
Think we might see March (unless he’s got some sort of injury) as a defensive WB

QUOTE=BluesRockDJ;9419943]Really ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, really!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's always such a lottery waiting for our team line up - but that's a good one. Unless the players are playing in a pudding of a formation as usual, it looks like a proper 4-4-2 with March and Trossard on the wings which is where they should be. Murray and Maupay through the middle, where they should be, and Stephens and Propper both with options to pass the ball rather than knowing we have to keep it and not having any options, leading to errors.

I'm confident tonight, providing we can limit the number of shots Southampton can loose off.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think if you look back at the goals we've been conceding recently, you might come to a different conclusion if you ask yourself the question, "why can't he move to his left?".

He shouldn't be a shoe-in on reputation alone. His form has been poor in the last few games. He kicks the ball out of play every time, he doesn't make saves and anything to his left rolls past him with no chance of being saved. He's been terrible in the last few games and if I were Button I'd be very disappointed that the manager has such a low opinion of him as a back up to keep playing someone who isn't performing and is directly contributing to the alarming number of goals being conceded.

:bounce:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Did anyone pick it?

As has often happened, even after the team was announced, the TV folk proceeded to get the formation wrong.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

It was a brilliant save, and amazingly it was to his left!

Not going to say anything about nearly presenting a chance to Che Adams in the last minute, though? And thank God for Dunk's instincts to get back on the line. It was a very fine line between hanging on, and getting beaten last night.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It was a brilliant save, and amazingly it was to his left!

Not going to say anything about nearly presenting a chance to Che Adams in the last minute, though? And thank God for Dunk's instincts to get back on the line. It was a very fine line between hanging on, and getting beaten last night.

I'll concede that there were some wayward kicks last night too but, in general, I think you have his kicking wrong and, as indicated previously, other posters have dealt with this more adequately than I can.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'll concede that there were some wayward kicks last night too but, in general, I think you have his kicking wrong and, as indicated previously, other posters have dealt with this more adequately than I can.

No, other people have stated their opinions and I've stated mine. He doesn't fill me with any confidence at all and I don't think his performances justify the level of confidence there seems to be in him. I'll be surprised and disappointed if he doesn't at least have more serious competition next season.

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
I think if you look back at the goals we've been conceding recently, you might come to a different conclusion if you ask yourself the question, "why can't he move to his left?".

lol

He shouldn't be a shoe-in on reputation alone. His form has been poor in the last few games. He kicks the ball out of play every time, he doesn't make saves and anything to his left rolls past him with no chance of being saved. He's been terrible in the last few games and if I were Button I'd be very disappointed that the manager has such a low opinion of him as a back up to keep playing someone who isn't performing and is directly contributing to the alarming number of goals being conceded.

lol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports