Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Team for Ajax?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It’s a bit of a strange one because the back 4 of Veltman, JPVH, Dunk, Igor that most of us think will start has been forced upon us and yet reading it on a team sheet fills me with more confidence in our defence than in most previous weeks line ups
Really?

More than Veltman, Dunk, Igor, March which started against Liverpool? More than Veltman, Dunk, Van Hecke, Lamptey which started against Marseille? More than Veltman, Webster, Dunk and Estupinan which started against Villa? In hindsight after Villa maybe when we onew how fatigued/injured Estupinan was and out of form Webster was but certainly not before those games started.

I couldn’t disagree more. Even the back four which started Saturday with the strange Milner/Veltman decision starting again would fill me with more confidence than what you’ve suggested which fills me with dread.

Igor is not a full back and Van Hecke is massively over rated on here. His absence has made some rate him a lot higher than is realistic and some have forgotten how bad he was against Marseille.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I see lots of people putting Igor at left back.

Just to point out - he’s played just 46 minutes at LB in the last 3 and a bit seasons and a total of just 287 minutes there in total in his whole top flight career. I’m really not sure he’s the answer.

I think he’s looked decent in the last couple of games and he’s starting to develop an understanding with Dunk in the middle - I can’t see the logic in shifting him out to the left. He doesn’t have the skillset of a full back and if you’re worried about Milner’s pace, Igor is hardly the most rapid.
So who are you playing there? (assuming no Pervis or Tariq?)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sweet jesus, anything but that.
I think the pile on of Milner has gone too far. Yes he was awful Saturday but he was far from alone in that first half. As already highlighted, Adingra offered him absolutely no support but Gross and Baleba were also dreadful and offered nothing to back them up. Gross's defending for the first goal was laughable and yet they've got away with it and Milner has taken all the criticism. I'm confident if he starts he will play a lot better as the professional in him's pride will have been hurt after Saturday.

Ideally we'd never start Milner at full back but the club f***ed up in the summer by not bringing in a right back and a left back alongside that - something I went on about all summer including starting a thread in August saying we desperately needed a new right back after our first few games when Milner had played there. But we're where we are now with him as the only fit option in the squad who has ever really played at left back. There is no one else.

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
I didn't manage to catch any of Saturday's game so apologies if I've made some stupid selections!

Here's my 11 - what would you go with?

..................................... Bart ....................................

Veltman ... van Hecke ... Dunk ..... Igor

.................... Groß ......... Gilmour ...................

.... Fati ................. Pedro ............. Mitoma

............................... Ferguson .........................
Yes...

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Bart
Velts Webster dunk lamptey
Gross Gilmore
Aldringa Liliana Pedro mitoma

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I think the pile on of Milner has gone too far. Yes he was awful Saturday but he was far from alone in that first half. As already highlighted, Adingra offered him absolutely no support but Gross and Baleba were also dreadful and offered nothing to back them up. Gross's defending for the first goal was laughable and yet they've got away with it and Milner has taken all the criticism. I'm confident if he starts he will play a lot better as the professional in him's pride will have been hurt after Saturday.

Ideally we'd never start Milner at full back but the club f***ed up in the summer by not bringing in a right back and a left back alongside that - something I went on about all summer including starting a thread in August saying we desperately needed a new right back after our first few games when Milner had played there. But we're where we are now with him as the only fit option in the squad who has ever really played at left back. There is no one else.
Milner has been a disaster every game this season at RB. A clearly targeted player by the opposition and West Ham provided the blueprint. Not sure why you think Igor would be a bad LB choice. At least he is a defender, and has a left foot.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Milner has been a disaster every game this season at RB. A clearly targeted player by the opposition and West Ham provided the blueprint. Not sure why you think Igor would be a bad LB choice. At least he is a defender, and has a left foot.
Because Milner has played 66 games at left back in his career at the highest level compared to Igor's three in Serie A!

Plus I've liked Igor at CB the last couple of games and I'd like him and Dunk to continue there together to develop their partnership.

The only other option I would consider if Milner is not to play there is Gross at RB and Veltman at LB.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Broadly agree. That said, I was delighted when we got Milner but have been underwhelmed by his performances. Players lose it, even training and attitude machines like Milner, and it might be the case that his downfall has been pretty rapid.
Other options for LB on Thursday include Lamptey (if fit), Gross, Hinshelwood, Samuels and Igor.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Because Milner has played 66 games at left back in his career at the highest level compared to Igor's three in Serie A!

Plus I've liked Igor at CB the last couple of games and I'd like him and Dunk to continue there together to develop their partnership.

The only other option I would consider if Milner is not to play there is Gross at RB and Veltman at LB.
I like that you've cogently argued an unpopular opinion. Maybe more will come round to your view after the match on Thursday.

That said. I'm still unpersuaded. Like many I hope that Lamptey will be the selection rabbit out of the hat, but even if he is, we'll have to rotate someone else in for some upcoming games.

My thoughts is the the primary role of a full back is to not be dribbled around easily. I'm not sure Julio will do any better than Milner and Gross showed he's clearly not a full back on Saturday.

If they are on their wrong side, we can work around that. If they are not a natural defender, well that's a risk, but an acceptable one. Your suggested Gross as full back, but what about Gilmour? (I mentioned it earlier in the thread). He's at least competitive speed-wise, likes a tackle, probably wasn't going to start in CM anyway, has decent football intelligence. He's also is a fine passer and good on the ball under pressure, so no style change needed. He could play right back, which I think he did at home for a while in the Luton game. Veltman shunts across to the left?

As you also said, far from ideal that we're having this conversation in the first place.

imagine the wages Welbeck Milner and Lallana are costing us. We could have bought another decent player if we didnt cling on to the oldies. No other top club carries 3 players in their late 30s in any league . Welbs and Lallana were great under Potter and helped the less expierenced players we were carrying but we dont need the luxury of their experience (although TBF Welbs hasnt done too badly so far..)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ajax may be struggling with results but I watched there loss at weekend and thought they were outstanding going forward and poor at back
They played a side who hadn’t won all season and still lost. Saying that in true Albion fashion we will either win handsomely or make them look like prime Barca.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
imagine the wages Welbeck Milner and Lallana are costing us. We could have bought another decent player if we didnt cling on to the oldies. No other top club carries 3 players in their late 30s in any league . Welbs and Lallana were great under Potter and helped the less expierenced players we were carrying but we dont need the luxury of their experience (although TBF Welbs hasnt done too badly so far..)
Mate, that's where I am. Those 3 between them will be on a pretty penny. It would be fair if we had no experience withing the squad, but, Dunky? Webby? Gross? Veltman? That's decent on pitch leadership.

Lallana in particular. We seem to have given him a long playing contract on the basis that he might be our manager one day. We'll there's a lot that can go wrong there, not least that good players don't always become good managers. And the moment his playing contract expires he's free to take a coaching offer with anyone. I'd be fine with it if it was a cheap punt. But it isn't.

Welbeck, as you say has done OK. No arguments with giving him what he's had up to now, but next year, let's look at Sima, or develop someone who might score some goals at some stage.

And Milner? Well, it very much looks like a season too far for the fella

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
----------------- Bart -------------------
Veltman -- Dunk -- 1 of the 3 -- Gross
-------- Baleba --- Gilmour ------------
Adingra ------- Pedro --------- Mitoma
------------- Ferguson -----------------

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Welbeck is 32.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here