Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

Strangely I don't have a problem with teachers ( or anyone else who is striking ) spending the day in the pub on a strike day. They are withdrawing their labour and won't get paid so their time is exactly that - their time.

I understand what you are getting at, but for me it's this issue of communication - it looks like the teachers went on strike because they fancied a day in the pub, rather than because they had a genuine grievance. I do think communication is a real problem - the teaching unions seem particularly bad at it, much worse than other public sector unions.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've just finished a six week stint at a secondary school doing some re-furb work as I have done for the last 16 years and the highlight is always when the teachers come back the day before the year 7's come in. This year one teacher was very nearly in tears when she didn't think she would have enough time to get the coloured paper stapled up on her new pin boards as she had so much to do. We stayed late and did it for her because she was getting so stressed when she left at 3, but we did it in the wrong colour and she wasn't happy. Well at least we tried.
Strike yes

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Apologies for bouncing an old thread, but my wife, who is a head of department at a secondary school, is in a bit of a quandary about these strikes, and I'd be interested in some NSC opinions.

She is part of NASUWT, and they are having a regional strike in mid October, in addition to the national strike supposedly taking place in December. She has been trying to find the (genuine) reasons that the strike is being proposed, and has come up short (at least on convincing reasons).

If you're a member of a union and the membership of that union has voted to take industrial action, you take industrial action. That's the whole point of being in a union.

Of course she could resign her membership and join a union that isn't taking industrial action. It's an unhappy coincidence that such unions tend to be less effective.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If you're a member of a union and the membership of that union has voted to take industrial action, you take industrial action. That's the whole point of being in a union.

Of course she could resign her membership and join a union that isn't taking industrial action. It's an unhappy coincidence that such unions tend to be less effective.

Rubbish - what if you don't agree with the reason for the strike ? Or can't afford to strike ? Therein lies the issue with Unions !

That has been my perspective thus far in teacher disputes. On this occasion, however, my wife believes (and I agree) that this time they may be overstepping the mark.

Perhaps you are right, and resigning her membership is the right thing to do, at least from a moral standpoint. However I'm not entirely convinced that just because a union says to do something all members should jump to it every single time. You can agree with the general purpose of a union without agreeing with every single decision. I will certainly suggest it to her though, thanks.

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
That has been my perspective thus far in teacher disputes. On this occasion, however, my wife believes (and I agree) that this time they may be overstepping the mark.

Perhaps you are right, and resigning her membership is the right thing to do, at least from a moral standpoint.

I do feel for you - I didn't join the union I currently belong to at first because I didn't agree with a couple of strikes they had called at the time. I eventually joined when some serious issues were at stake, and I'm very glad they were there to fight a collective battle.

Since then I've changed my opinion a little on the more 'silly' disputes. I might disagree with them personally, but I've learnt from the big disputes that the union only works at all if members pull together. Of course I could go to meetings and voice my disapproval - I'm in a business small enough that I might even have an influence. But I don't, so I have no option but to trust the results of a members ballot.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Strikes only happen if a majority of members vote for them.

no, strikes happen if a majority of voting members vote for them. important difference. and some unions have ways of ensuring that the motion is carried.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, to cut a long story short, what are the views of NSC? Are the teachers justified? Is Gove a complete and utter bellend? Or are the teachers living in a 1970s-inspired cloud cuckoo land? Should they be much more upfront about why they are unhappy (if, indeed, it isn't to do with pay and conditions)? Are there other ways that the teachers could express their unhappiness? And would Gove listen?

In order: justified yes, yes Gove is a complete and utter bellend, no, they are being upfront, Gove will never listen.

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
no, strikes happen if a majority of voting members vote for them. important difference. and some unions have ways of ensuring that the motion is carried.

Indeed. But, not withstanding your second comment, I would suggest that if you didn't feel strongly enough to vote against a strike ballot you don't really have much cause for complaint if you suddenly find you're involved in a strike you don't agree with.

Gally72

Dec 1, 2012
I,d sack the lot

Not one week after we get this regarding parents taking their kids out of school in term time from a head teacher:-

“We have systematic teaching that needs to be taught every single day. We have 13 weeks of holiday during which we don’t do it and if they miss a week the learning has moved on, meaning gaps in children’s learning.”

We get notice that teachers are to go on strike.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23285445
And replace them with people who are interested in teaching , not money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here