Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Taylor - Losing it at Palace ...

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
I read this article on here yesterday !!!

1066gull

ManOnTheRun said:
Looks like Peter Taylor is back to his old ways, buying carthouses at overinflated prices ...

This guy is a donkey

Thanks god he never had an money to spend when he was here!
He did win us a championship though....:rolleyes:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Taylor - Losing it at Palace ...

sir danny cullip said:
No he didn't....he almost lost us one.

Quite! We were lucky Reading played the same standard as their fans support and drew 9 in the last 10 or something similar.

Adrie, anyone could have got us promoted with Zamora banging them in.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

sir danny cullip said:

What?? :eek: :ohmy:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Im convinced I read this yesterday. I think my 77 year old nan could have got us promoted with the squad Taylor had.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Taylor - Losing it at Palace ...

BarrelofFun said:
Quite! We were lucky Reading played the same standard as their fans support and drew 9 in the last 10 or something similar.

Thats not strickly true, you have to give the guy some credit. Still not sure what Adie's point is though, we are laughing at Palace.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
DAMANCLAY said:
Im convinced I read this yesterday. I think my 77 year old nan could have got us promoted with the squad Taylor had.

Funny how we were sliding down the table when Adams left then, seeing as he was the architect of that team.

Taylor is tactically twice the manager Adams was and I am certain that we would not have won the 2nd Championship if Adams had stayed.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Icy Gull said:
Funny how we were sliding down the table when Adams left then, seeing as he was the architect of that team.

Taylor is tactically twice the manager Adams was and I am certain that we would not have won the 2nd Championship if Adams had stayed.

Spot on. I cant believe the amount of stick Taylor got. Without him we would not have won that championship.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

sir danny cullip said:

:ohmy:

Taylor might not have been the most exciting of managers but he was a succesful one for us. At no stage did he nearly lose us a championship. That would imply that it was in the bag when he took over and that was far from the case. Micky Adams left after 13games of which we had won 7, drawn 4 and lost 2. We were in a play off place with 25points.

The next game was managed by booker and hinsh(i think...), a game we won 2-1 away to Huddersfield.

Taylor then took charge for 32 games, of which he won 17, drew 11 and lost 4 giving him a total of 62 points. A near exact copy(very marginally better, in fact...) of Adams' points per game record except played over a longer period and without the 'surprise package' status that could be argued we had in the early part of the season.

I really do fail to see how he 'nearly lost us a championship'. The truth is, we rose up the table under him and had a points per game record the equal of Adams. How is that nearly throwing away a championship? That Reading drew 9 of their last 10 games is neither here nor there. We finished with 90 points enough to get us promoted pretty much every time in the past ten years and enough to win the league on several other occasions. That we didn't play particularly exciting football is an accusation you can throw at him, that he didn't seem too hot in the budget transfer market is another 'crime' you can lob his way, but nearly losing us a championship? No way.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
Perry Milkins said:
Que Paulie and Croydon Bloke

Just for you then Perry.

Scowcroft is better than Rooney blah blah blah.....

22 years blah blah blah.......

Taylor is our saviour blah blah blah......

Didn't we discuss this yesterday?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Taylor - Losing it at Palace ...

BarrelofFun said:

That's crap.

We were the best team in the league, and deserved it ... of course it was fundamentally Adams' team, and Taylor didn't do much to it, but he didn't have to ... Junior Lewis was a superb addition though.

All the bitterness and re-writing of history just because he left us is simply nonsense.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
paulie said:
Just for you then Perry.

Scowcroft is better than Rooney blah blah blah.....

22 years blah blah blah.......

Taylor is our saviour blah blah blah......

Didn't we discuss this yesterday?

Yes we did. But just between you and me I didn't raise this thread I just forecasted your imminent posting

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Taylor - Losing it at Palace ...

Repugnant Toad said:
That's crap.

We were the best team in the league, and deserved it ... of course it was fundamentally Adams' team, and Taylor didn't do much to it, but he didn't have to ... Junior Lewis was a superb addition though.

All the bitterness and re-writing of history just because he left us is simply nonsense.

No, THAT is crap, we were nowhere near being the best team in the League that year, but we did have the best coach and tactician for most of it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here