Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tartan Army forum - Liam Bridcutt

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I think you might be right. He had some kind of sulk on, did he not?

Almost certainly.

Was it Alex Ferguson who managed that team in 1986 or had someone else taken over by then (Roxburgh?)

I know Fergie stepped in after Jock Stein died of a heart attack straight after their game against Wales, which I think was the game in which they qualified for the finals. Not sure if he was the one who managed them in the finals though, or if he was the one who booted Hansen into the long grass of monotonous punditry.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That Hungarian keeper is quality

View attachment 38171

He looks like he should be in some sort of horror film.

How funny, he was the one I remembered as soon as I found the scanned album. He looks like he should be on a park bench with a bottle of White Lightning, shouting at pigeons.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With an honourable mention for the Albion's "Tesco bag" stripey shorts of the early 90s.

Oh God, how did I forget them. You are correct, the Scotland ones can only really come second in comparison to the deckchair kit.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He genuinely looks like one of the local tramps near me who goes into Tesco and shouts at the Cheese!

All footballers looked older then though, even in the 1980s. Go back further to the 1960s and footballers all look like they're at least 40.

This is a Northern Ireland player from Mexico 86. Looks like some unfit old bloke who's turned up for a Sunday League game.

140.jpg

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
All footballers looked older then though, even in the 1980s. Go back further to the 1960s and footballers all look like they're at least 40.

This is a Northern Ireland player from Mexico 86. Looks like some unfit old bloke who's turned up for a Sunday League game.

View attachment 38173

He played for Newcastle, I saw him a few times. Looked similarly Sunday League on the pitch as I recall.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Must be something about the goalkeepers in Mexico 86. This one looks a bit Yorkshire Ripper.

$(KGrHqNHJBME7)6Mq7pNBPD)r1kM0w~~60_35.JPG

Oct 25, 2003
the bitter scottish guy in that link does have a point though.......surely any scottish fan would rather they filled the team with actual scottish players and be shit, rather than english players and still be shit?

the likes of CMS probably had never even been to scotland before their debuts for the national team, there needs to be a rethink of the eligibility for national teams in my view. Some national teams have been taking the piss for years now

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the bitter scottish guy in that link does have a point though.......surely any scottish fan would rather they filled the team with actual scottish players and be shit, rather than english players and still be shit?

the likes of CMS probably had never even been to scotland before their debuts for the national team, there needs to be a rethink of the eligibility for national teams in my view. Some national teams have been taking the piss for years now

I can actually see their point. The England cricket team does it far more than the football team to be fair. I do find it slightly cringey when the national anthem comes on for a country like Scotland (or Ireland to a degree) and half the players aren't singing it, not because they choose not to but because they don't have a clue how it goes or it means nothing to them. Could I stand up and wholeheartedly sing La Marseillaise or Advance Australia Fair if I was picked for France or Australia on the basis that a grandparent happened to be born there? What does Chris Birchall really know of Trinidad & Tobago apart from the fact that it's a nice place to go on holiday? How do their fans identify with him?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I can actually see their point. The England cricket team does it far more than the football team to be fair. I do find it slightly cringey when the national anthem comes on for a country like Scotland (or Ireland to a degree) and half the players aren't singing it, not because they choose not to but because they don't have a clue how it goes or it means nothing to them. Could I stand up and wholeheartedly sing La Marseillaise or Advance Australia Fair if I was picked for France or Australia on the basis that a grandparent happened to be born there? What does Chris Birchall really know of Trinidad & Tobago apart from the fact that it's a nice place to go on holiday? How do their fans identify with him?

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea

Totally agree, look at Germany, half their starting 11 shouldn't be playing. Mario Gomez is Spanish, Mezut Ozil is Turkish, Jerome boateng is Ghanian, Lewis Holtby is British (traitor!!)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Totally agree, look at Germany, half their starting 11 shouldn't be playing. Mario Gomez is Spanish, Mezut Ozil is Turkish, Jerome boateng is Ghanian, Lewis Holtby is British (traitor!!)

You've missed out Kevin Kuranyi (Brazilian) and about six POLES...

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Talking of plastics that well known 'Scots' actor Mel Gibson who portrayed William Wallace in 'Braveheart' must grate with most genuine Jocks. Pity they find couldn't persuade Sean Connery to slap on a bit more ginger Grecian 2000 and take the role.

When I think of the Scotland footie sides its the hard as nails Scots players from the 60's and 70's like Billy Bremner, Dave MacKay and Joe Jordan who were decent footballers but also just oozed genuine passion, especially against the auld enemy. What about their infamous victory over World Champions England in 1967 and various trashings in the 70's? That's when they had a team that would give anyone in footie a fright. However it went rapidly downhill since then. Mind you England haven't exactly approached those dizzy heights since '66 and we aren't exactly churning out too many World class players these days, but at least most are actually English.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Ozil was born and raised in Germany, he grew up speaking German in German schools, and is a third generation Turk.

Gomez has one German and one Spanish parent, and was born and raised in Germany.

Boateng has one German and one Ghanaian parent and was born and raised in Germany.

Holtby has one German and one British parent and was born and raised in Germany.

I'm guessing you were a little tongue in cheek, but they have as much right to play for Germany as a kid who was born in Hackney to a British & a Jamaican parent does to play for England. I don't see any of those players in the same light as the mock Scots like CMS, Matt Phillips, Phil Bardsley or Jamie Mackie.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Ozil was born and raised in Germany, he grew up speaking German in German schools, and is a third generation Turk.

Gomez has one German and one Spanish parent, and was born and raised in Germany.

Boateng has one German and one Ghanaian parent and was born and raised in Germany.

Holtby has one German and one British parent and was born and raised in Germany.

I'm guessing you were a little tongue in cheek, but they have as much right to play for Germany as a kid who was born in Hackney to a British & a Jamaican parent does to play for England. I don't see any of those players in the same light as the mock Scots like CMS, Matt Phillips, Phil Bardsley or Jamie Mackie.

Yeah was being a little tounge in cheek but they have a very multi-cultural team! Ok you did your research lol what about Lukas Podolski?? Surely he should play for Poland!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here