Taping the knowledge of NSC......Castles?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not a plug for this thread, but worth a mention. A few years back we visited Camber Castle, which on the face of it is pretty uninspiring, except it is a pleasant walk from Rye and the couple who do the tour (if you can call it that) are knowledgeable, passionate and engaging. To call it a tour is more than a slight exaggeration, but we had a lovely chat and I learnt a lot. £3 for adults, free for Under 16s.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The best complete castle is Gormenghast which was inspired by Arundel Castle. Mervyn Peake lived in Burpham and was buried there.

View attachment 47537

Personally, have always favoured Bramber, which is great to walk around and imagine what it was like. There's a sort of historical justice associated with the ruins of Norman Castles.

When my two were young we had many a picnic at Bramber Castle. A great spot for a game of mini cricket and plenty to explore inside and outside the walls.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Peever, there is a huge variation in what to see from Windsor [and others] that are still inhabited and maintained to very high standards, to other "castles" that are a ruin of not much more than a few pieces of rock.

Do you have a specific target for the types of castle you wish to visit?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
In Wales these two are my favourites.

Pembroke Castle

pembroke03.jpg

Manorbier Castle

manor1.jpg

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
Or a bit closer to home ... Bramber

bramber-castle.gif

Not much left of it but enough to see what it was like,the moat is still there and you can walk all the way around it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There's probably a few would have to right-click on the image to work out who the hell it is.

I'd confess I wasn't entirely familiar with her face.

Shame on you. She was a proper politician. She would have had for breakfast any of the snivelling runts from whichever party we have today. She also introduced the breathalyser as transport Minister.

PS - it's Barbara castle if people haven't caught up with what's above.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Shame on you. She was a proper politician. She would have had for breakfast any of the snivelling runts from whichever party we have today. She also introduced the breathalyser as transport Minister.

Indeed a fearsome lady. Met her when she was S of S for Health & Social Services. Frightened the life out of me as a junior NHS administrator

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Give me a break. She was a politician of note (so says Wikipedia) between 1945 and 1979. I wasn't even born for 31 years of that period.

No shame here.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Give me a break. She was a politician of note (so says Wikipedia) between 1945 and 1979. I wasn't even born for 31 years of that period.

No shame here.

Break Given. But I recognise pictures of Winston Churchill, who died when I was 11, of Benjamin Disraeli, who died some time before I was born, of Michael Gove, who is dead from the neck up, ...... OK, then, maybe they are not quite the same.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What about Highclere castle, near Newbury, where Downton Abbey is filmed. It isn't a proper castle, and neither is it an Abbey, so it's as big a fraud as the TV programme.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What about Highclere castle, near Newbury, where Downton Abbey is filmed. It isn't a proper castle, and neither is it an Abbey, so it's as big a fraud as the TV programme.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Or a bit closer to home ... Bramber

View attachment 47546

Not much left of it but enough to see what it was like,the moat is still there and you can walk all the way around it.

I loved Bramber castle when I was a kid. I also seem to remember going there on the train - a steam train. This is going back 50years - the line was closed in 1966.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Many, many fine examples of mediaeval and later constructions on here, some intact and some in ruins. If you want really ancient how about the forerunner of modern stone embattlements - the wooden castle? Rarely seen in the flesh anymore, but can probably be found by searching the interweb thingy. I would suggest googling the Andrew version.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports