Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tammy Abraham could he be the answer?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We have a wage structure for a reason and Abraham won't fit into it.

If you disagree, take it up with Tony, Paul and Dan, not me.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
There must come a point when the owner of a football club decides which way they want to go when competing in the Premier League, the wages issue surrounding the culture at Brighton seems to one of the lower end payers in the league , that said the players are still magnificently paid for what they love to do .

If Mr Bloom hadn't had to fork out over 300 million for a new stadium and Academy then I think we would be operating at a much higher level player salary wise and probably much better off in the league .

Mr Bloom built a stadium and Academy, the wage bill and transfer money comparable with 1 season of operational costs of Man City , that just shows how much top players earn so we're never going to compete with that .

One of the best things for me as a football supporter is seeing a Academy player make it through to the first team and our current ethos is to do just that to try and help balance the books of overpriced overpaid new players from other teams

Abraham is a good player but is he worth breaking up what the club is trying to do for 4 years in the Premier League, I'm on the wobbly fence but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see one of these types of signings where as fans we think the wages would be a problem .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have a wage structure for a reason and Abraham won't fit into it.

If you disagree, take it up with Tony, Paul and Dan, not me.

Indeed. And Tammy Abraham, I believe, probably got a "I want to play in a top 6 club" thought structure. Think he will end up in one of the other top teams, most of them will be looking for a striker this summer.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So apart from his wages, bigger clubs after him, ruining his England chances, smashing our wage structure and the fact he wouldn’t want to join a perennial struggler, I think we’ve got a really good chance of signing him.

:lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't this come up a couple of seasons back? Might be confusing him with another player, but wasn't there talk of connections wanting a million quid signing-on fee or somesuch?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is a complete non-starter. Even if we were to stump up the wages, Abraham (and his agent) would look on BHA as being far too much of a step down at this stage of his career.

One thing you DON'T want, is a player thinking he's doing you a favour by being at the club. TA would certainly fit that profile.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Didn't this come up a couple of seasons back? Might be confusing him with another player, but wasn't there talk of connections wanting a million quid signing-on fee or somesuch?

Yes Hughton was close to signing him on loan, but he wanted a £1M fee for his family or something and the club said no. Then went to Swansea or Villa I think ?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
He’s believed to be on 88k a week currently at Chelsea, when they started talking about extending his contract last Sumner he wanted a wage that was 6 figures long. Well above what our wage ceiling currently is. Aston Villa, Leicester and West Ham are the clubs being linked and who we’d have to compete against.

Then’s the fact that he asked for an additional 1m signing on fee at the last minute when we tried to sign him on...

Ike Ugbo is the Chelsea striker we should be concentrating on.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
TA is better than Maupay but I think only a bit better mainly due to his pace . TA is not so superior that it’s worth paying his £100k likely wages .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

There certainly was talk, and if true that in itself would be enough for a no from me. Regardless, I don't see this one happening, and TBH I'm not too bothered about that.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Left out by Tuchel in the squad for the FA Cup leaving a huge question mark over his Chelsea future.

So,

Would you want him at the Amex? (Really a no brainer)

How much would we have to pay for him? (Or would Chelsea swap him for Biss?)

Dunk almost certainly has the ‘Paul Ince clause’ in his contract, so could the Albion potentially be looking at two players having a six figure weekly salary?

See some answers here last time we discussed him.

In a nutshell we’d all love to see him play for us. But sadly is unlikely:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?386188-A-message-to-Tammy-Abraham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, a young player at Chelsea refuses to sing a new contract because he wants much more money than Chelsea want to pay him, and he is now not being picked by Chelsea, presuably because he's regarded as a disruptive influence owing to his attitude.

Is there anything to add to that sentence, with the word 'Brighton' in it? I think not.

Unless it is 'wouldn't happen at Brighton, and certainly won't with that player'.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Yes, I would like to see that lad at the Albion, he has a long way to go and I feel Mr Potter, could help him develop into a regular England place, and will score the goals we need.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
But does there come a point where we have to be IN wages wise, otherwise it won’t be long before we are OUT of the EPL?

If we can pay wages on such a scale and still be self sustaining then yes.

From what’s been said it’s more likely Tony & co. accept that relegation is a possible (and realistic) outcome as we try to build up to reaching our long term goal.

Nearly every club outside the top 6 have been relegated in this league. High wages or not.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But does there come a point where we have to be IN wages wise, otherwise it won’t be long before we are OUT of the EPL?

No. We develop and sell on - the big wages are what players will get if they play well enough for us to get a big money move. No reason we can't be reasonably competitive on that model.

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
If there is any chance of snaffling Tammy Abraham, im convinces he would be an absolutely perfect fit. Fancy him to bag 12-15 comfortably, supported by Welbeck and Maupay with 5-10 each.

The competition will be fierce and as others have said wages on offer from the likes of Villa, Leicester and West Ham are obviously going to be larger.

Question is whether our style of play and the number of chances we create can convince him that the goals he gets will get him back in the England squad.

Probably not....id prefer Paul Onuachu anyway

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Yes he could be the answer but unfortunately the money he’s currently on will pay at least two of our players

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here