Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Talent Drain?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Another from our recruitment team on his way, is it fair to call it a talent drain?

2.jpg

1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    118.3 KB · Views: 49

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Senior Scouting Manager -> Manager of Scouting Operations sounds like a move to work in a more senior role.

Maybe there was no immediate prospect of promotion at the Albion so, like happens in many industries, he's had to move companies in order to progress.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Senior Scouting Manager -> Manager of Scouting Operations sounds like a move to work in a more senior role.

Maybe there was no immediate prospect of promotion at the Albion so, like happens in many industries, he's had to move companies in order to progress.

And someone within Brighton potentially unable to move up the ladder now gets a chance at promotion, or the next set of candidates get a chance from the TMS* :thumbsup:

*Tony's Magic Spreadsheet

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Was our Senior Scouting Manager for 5 years 8 months. From LinkedIn, I'd never heard of him either
I'd never heard of him either - but now, from looking at Linkedin, I've heard of Pete Bulmer, Josh Hook, Tim Coe, Steve Martin, George Holmes and Gary Mills. So, if/when they too get poached, at least I won't be surprised and asking, 'who?'

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe it’s because scouts play second fiddle to analytics at Brighton?
I know an established name formerly connected to the club who was invited to apply for the recently advertised Striker/Centre Forward scout, when he actually looked at the job spec, it was more about sitting in front of a computer compiling and looking at stats than actually going out to games and watching players.

That film Moneyball has got a lot to answer for???

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Perhaps he's not that good 🤔 Perhaps he is.There are many reasons one might changes their job.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Anyone associated with Brighton and scouting is very hot property seeing as nearly every club in England is trying to replicate what we do.

Our senior scouts will be able to command very high salaries and their board can placate their fans by boasting that they are appointing them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Another from our recruitment team on his way, is it fair to call it a talent drain?

View attachment 156870
View attachment 156871
No, I don't think so. Given the way that TB/PB/DW go about their business, I'm sure they already had a shortlist of candidates lined up before this Lee fella had even handed in his notice!

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022

View attachment 156870
View attachment 156871
According to his LinkedIn profile he spent 8 years at Bolton. Aston Villa took him from Bolton and had him for 3 years, we took him from villa for 5 years and now he's moved to Everton.

It's easy to conflate that with out other outgoings as losing another precious mineral forged in the Brighton talent mine, but more often than not these moves are just people moving to better jobs within an industry like any other industry.

If Potter and co hadn't moved this would t be even vaguely newsworthy.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I know an established name formerly connected to the club who was invited to apply for the recently advertised Striker/Centre Forward scout, when he actually looked at the job spec, it was more about sitting in front of a computer compiling and looking at stats than actually going out to games and watching players.

That film Moneyball has got a lot to answer for???
Billy Beane is the one who has a lot to answer for, without him the film Moneyball would never have happened as it was about him, but he eventually proved the concept of recruiting under valued players based on their stats worked.

But with Tony Bloom in charge we'd have gone down this route with or without Billy Beane and what he did in baseball. Bloom is a stats and analytics guy, he'd have always wanted that as part of his recruitment strategy for the club. However it isn't just driven by stats, there is no way we'd sign a player without seeing them play, but with the amount of video footage available now actually going to games to scout a player is a very small part of the process.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here