Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Taking a second job

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Back in the 90s I had two jobs. One was my 9-5 office job in insurance and then to clear a little debt, I took a job working in an off licence. The latter was meant to be 16 hours a week but when there was a change of manager that crept up to over 25 so dropped it having been there about 6 months. Did a short spell for a timeshare call centre but it was crap work and then about another year for an IT recruitment company with fixed hours. My 9-5 contract stipulated I had to have permission for second jobs which I made sure I had.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm 'stuck' with a few IT support customers from when I tried that self employed a few years ago. Invoice the customers directly, declare it as non main employer income at the end of the year (same time as any CGT on shares/dividends, not that I have many) and see a demand for basically half of it, but its still worth doing. Throwing an invoice for €500 out tomorrow - €150 parts, €350 labour for for four hours work; even when the taxman has had his share of the €350 that's acceptable.

Don't think I could hack doing two full-time equivalents even with fully flexible hours, though - what type of second job did you have in mind?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks Mike. Yes, sadly got made redundant a few years back and have been self-employed since. Work has slowly dried up since Covid though :(

I'm optimistic we'll turn the corner soon. Any time you neet to emote, PM me. :thumbsup:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Perhaps not relevant or significant to you but make sure the extra work doesn’t make you spend more in alcohol, take out / food, or other stuff (travel, clothes, games/music) whatever your choice might be, than the additional you earn. Just to make up for working long hours. Down time is valuable too and often ‘free’. It’s fine if you’re aware of it and make the choice, but stuff like that can sneak up on you like it did my ex back in the day and even if not eat up all the additional income, it can make the extra work far less lucrative whilst also causing stress etc.

Just a thought and also want to say best of luck. For me I did self employed on the side of main job while trying to save a deposit for first apartment, loved it and slowly turned it into part time regular work on the side of the growing self employed, and then managed to ditch the side stuff all together and focus on what I enjoy. Took time and didn’t have kids to fund but best thing I ever did and wasn’t so much a conscious decision initially as just a way to make extra money. Give it a go initially but be open to stopping if it doesn’t suit, without calling yourself a failure if you do.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps not relevant or significant to you but make sure the extra work doesn’t make you spend more in alcohol, take out / food, or other stuff (travel, clothes, games/music) whatever your choice might be, than the additional you earn.

What’s the point of the extra money then?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
1) Ensure there is nothing in your main job contract that prohibits you from undertaking any other work. It's unlikely but its worth checking

2) Your second employer will ask you for a P45 and when you tell them you don't have one they should ask you to complete a "new employee form" (or similar)

3) The second job will apply the Basic Rate (BR) against your earnings so everything is taxed at 20%

4) There is no way that your main employer will know that you have the second job unless you tell them! (Remember, a lot of employers check out social media these days for staff / prospective staff so if you don't want your main employer to know you have a second job, I wouldn't go plastering it all over facebook!)

There won't be a tax code change at your main employer and even if there was, the employer is notified of the new tax code they must operate. And that's it. The employer will never know what other sources of PAYE income you have nor how your allowances have been split / allocated. It's not like the PAYE tax coding notices you receive as the taxpayer where everything is broken down.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps not relevant or significant to you but make sure the extra work doesn’t make you spend more in alcohol, take out / food, or other stuff (travel, clothes, games/music) whatever your choice might be, than the additional you earn.

As a follow up, your list is exactly why I work.

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
I had 2 jobs, most of the time I only had Sundays free but it was worth while for a while.

Couldn't do it now as I like my weekends to be free.

And I am on a better wage now anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here