Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Tag watch battery replacement

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My wife's TAG wristwatch has stopped. I made two bold assumptions:
1) The battery has run out after several years.
2) Replacement through a TAG retailer would be expensive.
Decided to enquire at my local Timpson outside of Tesco. To my surprise, as long as I don't need to maintain underwater integrity and general waterprooficity they will oblige for just £94-50.
Hmmm. I'm sure that's probably £200 or more cheaper than the TAG stockist, but with the waterproof caveat and the low end provider, I'm not sure if I want to skimp on the job. Any watch aficionados have any suggestions?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Decided to enquire at my local Times on outside of Tesco. To my surprise, as long as I don't need to maintain underwater integrity and general waterprooficity they will oblige for just £94-50.
Hmmm. I'm sure that's probably £200 or more cheaper than the TAG stockist, but with the waterproof caveat and the low end provider, I'm not sure if I want to skimp on the job. Any watch aficionados have any suggestions?
Why not get a quote from Tag?

I wouldn't just assume they will be expensive, plus they will probably cover the waterproof ratings

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
£94.50!!
I need mine doing as well. There is a guy at Cribbs Causeway shopping centre in Bristol that I have passed often. Let me check in with him.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I wouldn't let my local timsons sneeze on my tag let alone change the battery... yes Watches of Switzerland charge like wounded bulls, but for £150 which isn't a heck of a lot more than you've been quoted, it comes back with a warranty for everything they have done and the whole watch was cleaned too...You gets what you pays for!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Buy the tool for £20, and do it yourself, use some silicone grease on the gasket when you close it up again, and as long as the gasket is not damaged, it will be waterproof.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why not get a quote from Tag?

I wouldn't just assume they will be expensive, plus they will probably cover the waterproof ratings
but it will be.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Oh and they offered me a glass of fizz whilst I waited, not that I drink...would have been fab to go back to work a little sozzled!!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Decided to enquire at my local Timpson outside of Tesco. To my surprise, as long as I don't need to maintain underwater integrity and general waterprooficity they will oblige for just £94-50.
If you are talking about Timpsons at Holmbush, from my experience the guy who manages it is quite brilliant and honest.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Go to Tag directly. They send you a case and reply paid envelope. I’ve used them twice and very happy with the service.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
Used to pay the silly £50 plus for my Tag battery change with “pressure test” every 2/3 years.

Now get it done for £12 at the jewellers bottom of George St in Hove. I’ve worn it whilst swimming lots of times and never had an issue. Used them twice over the last 5/6 years.

Unless you’re a deep sea diver it appears to be a bit of a scam to pay so much for a battery.

P.S. Timpsons are a f***ing rip off too

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If you are talking about Timpsons at Holmbush, from my experience the guy who manages it is quite brilliant and honest.
I'd feel quite brilliant if I got away with charging £94.50 for less than 10 minutes work changing a battery.

Last time I had one changed locally it was about £15 . . .just a work watch.

I don't need reminding about TH mechanical services 😬

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here