Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Switch or Switch OLED

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
depends if you expect to play more on device or connected to TV, probably not worth it if the latter.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
If it was me, as it's only 50 quid more I'd go for oled. Will definitely look so much better. But as above, if you intend to mainly play it on a TV then it doesn't matter!

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I’ve always been fine with the standard one, it’s never been designed to be a high end graphics games machine, nor the majority of the games.

That said, if it is only £50 more and you’ve got the spare cash then why not, it may make the difference to a few games.

Probably not worth upgrading the standard one for but one of those that if buying new probably worth getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks. I've gone for the OLED.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In case anyone like me was umming and ahhing over buying one, I now have mine and I'm ecstatic with it.

I'm using an old 1080p plasma TV and haven't upgraded in about a decade - so I am happy sticking with my PS4, as I wouldn't get the benefits of 4K from a PS5 anyway.

The Switch is a perfect companion. I only got it for the first party games, and I paid £319 from Curry's for the OLED model plus Breath of the Wild.

The game is outstanding, I've wanted to play it for years and it hasn't disappointed.

But that screen!! It is absolutely gorgeous, the colours are vibrant and very striking, the screen size is perfect and the bezel is really thin, it's almost all screen.

If you were on the fence after so long like I was, I strongly recommend the OLED version.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The Switch is a perfect companion. I only got it for the first party games, and I paid £319 from Curry's for the OLED model plus Breath of the Wild.

Is that a game or [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]'s favourite aftershave?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
The biggest thing about it for me isn't the screen. If you play online, the ethernet port is a must. So OLED for me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
The biggest thing about it for me isn't the screen. If you play online, the ethernet port is a must. So OLED for me.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

This was a very nice bonus.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
When I was in my teens and early twenties I thought my Commodore 64 was a life changer. Now I tend to think anyone over 50, who spends their life muted time on a games console rather sad.
I admit I have never ever played FIFA, there I’ve said it.
So if your under 25 enjoy my friend!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our 2009 Panasonic LCD TV gave up the ghost this evening.

So, I was meaning to do this anyway, I’ve already ordered an LG OLED.

I’ve a question regarding ethernet cabling. I’ll be buying a 5m length. Are they all much of a muchness? In the past I used to peruse what hifi or what tv for the ‘best’ hifi leads, scart, HDMI cables.

FairWeatherFan

Jun 9, 2011
Depending on which LG set you went for, you may find you don't need the cable as the WiFi on mine is very good. I've had no trouble streaming via any of the apps.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Depending on which LG set you went for, you may find you don't need the cable as the WiFi on mine is very good. I've had no trouble streaming via any of the apps.

I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine with WiFi. Thanks.

Ethenet is often mentioned as giving tangible benefits, the floor’s coming up anyway so it’s a one off opportunity to get a cable in (not pinned round the room perimeter).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’ve a question regarding ethernet cabling. I’ll be buying a 5m length. Are they all much of a muchness? In the past I used to peruse what hifi or what tv for the ‘best’ hifi leads, scart, HDMI cables.
yes, as long as CAT 5e or 6 and will be fine and all the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here