Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Swedish midsummer party

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Midsummer is a big deal in Sweden apparently. We’ve made friends with a couple round the corner; the female component being Swedish - and she looks it too, though she has the classical Swedish name of Fatima.

They’ve invited us to a midsummer party and have provided us with a song sheet (there’s songs? FFS) in Swedish, with a helpful English translation.

View attachment 148509

I’m guessing that the ‘translation’ is phonetic Swedish rather than, you know, a translation.

Although, if the following weirdness is anything to go on, perhaps it is a translation…

View attachment 148511

Perhaps they’ve always smoked a lot of weed over there?

Edit: sorry about picture orientation. I considered changing it, but cba, tbh

:laugh:

I've just shown this thread to my Swedish other half, who's pissing herself laughing. I do hope you get involved with the hopping motions and waggling of missing ears and tails.
Video footage of all the above must be posted here - apparently it's rude if you don't.
(Okay, I may have made that last bit up, but do it anyway. :) )

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Remember to make your excuses and leave not long after midnight. The party games tend to get a bit weird later on...

Screenshot 2022-06-03 at 13.20.35.png

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Midsummer is a big deal in Sweden apparently. We’ve made friends with a couple round the corner; the female component being Swedish - and she looks it too, though she has the classical Swedish name of Fatima.

They’ve invited us to a midsummer party and have provided us with a song sheet (there’s songs? FFS) in Swedish, with a helpful English translation.

View attachment 148509

I’m guessing that the ‘translation’ is phonetic Swedish rather than, you know, a translation.

Although, if the following weirdness is anything to go on, perhaps it is a translation…

View attachment 148511

Should be this weekend right? At least thats when we celebrate it here.

Feeling the hype?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

View attachment 148509

View attachment 148511

Isn't that IKEA instructions for building a hot tub with an emphasis on bowls and keys ???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Should be this weekend right? At least thats when we celebrate it here.

Feeling the hype?

Yep; Saturday.

They asked me to arrange some live music, so I got a 7-piece jazz band lined up for them. No idea whether that’s remotely suitable, but they gave no indication of what genre they’d like.

We’ve been asked to bring flowers to make head garlands. I have a feeling that there may not be enough to make more than one garland for my partner. That’ll be a shame.

Still, Swedish girls, jazz, and shots sounds decent enough.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yep; Saturday.

They asked me to arrange some live music, so I got a 7-piece jazz band lined up for them. No idea whether that’s remotely suitable, but they gave no indication of what genre they’d like.

We’ve been asked to bring flowers to make head garlands. I have a feeling that there may not be enough to make more than one garland for my partner. That’ll be a shame.

Still, Swedish girls, jazz, and shots sounds decent enough.

Traditionally speaking you'd want some old bloke with a "dragspel" (no idea what it is called in English), sort of like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slu2xsD8c1w

... but probably a jazz band is much preferable. I know what I'd pick.

Sounds nice indeed, hopefully you'll get good weather - ours have been pretty bad since the last prime minister resigned, the new one is not doing a great job in that regard.

papachris

I live next door to Sweden in Estonia. We have jaanituli. 2 days of public holiday starting 23rd June. Public events with bonfires, folk dancing, live entertainment etc all over the place. It's a really big thing here and lots of fun tomorrow night when it hardly gets dark at all.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Looking forward to Friday. This is as rare as a white Christmas in Brighton.

View attachment 149061

Oh I can see the island of Bornholm where my ancestors who were rulers (Chiefdom) came from just below the C (Malmo 28c) back in the 12th century.

I have been to Demark a few times, and would love to go back and visit the island and Sweden.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I live next door to Sweden in Estonia. We have jaanituli. 2 days of public holiday starting 23rd June. Public events with bonfires, folk dancing, live entertainment etc all over the place. It's a really big thing here and lots of fun...

We have a similar thing here in the UK on the last weekend in August. It is traditionally celebrated by 3 days of drunken town centre brawling with overweight police officers and provides enough pixilated bodycam footage for 161 episodes of "Boozed up Britain" to be broadcast weeknights on Channel 5 right through the autumn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here