Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Swansea U23s v Albion U23s (Mon Nov 26 - 7pm ko)

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Quarter finals last season, not good enough?

What's wrong with another final?As long as we stay up as well.Robinson,Smith and Fozzie can do the commentary.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fingers crossed for a decent FA Cup run, so we can all see White and Connolly tested in a few real games.

I've seen a few people post words to this effect on here in recent days, but if you look at how Hughton has utilised his squad in the three competitions in his time at Albion, I wouldn't be so certain that the youngsters will get playing time in the FA Cup.

In League matches, Chris has been steadfastly unwilling to start an Albion youngster; the only such occurrence is that meaningless end-of-season Championship fixture at Middlesbrough in May 2015 when Walton got the start in goal (of course, Walton had already played two league matches under Hyypia and the League Cup fixture at Spurs, and had been the goalkeeping understudy since November). Hughton has been more than happy to give ample playing time to other club's youngsters, though - James Wilson, Tomori, Akpom, Izzy Brown - even Sam Adekugbe got a league start.

In the FA Cup, Hughton has taken the opportunity to rotate his first-team squad, typically making a handful of changes but still excluding the youngsters. Rob Hunt is the only Albion academy product who has been given a start - against MK Dons in January 2017. He couldn't even give Max Sanders his debut off the bench against Man Utd last season, when he only used two subs.

In the League Cup, Hughton has often made 10 or 11 changes, and HAS been willing to start the youngsters; in many ways, he treats that competition as merely an extension of the pre-season friendly programme.

Of course, there is a lot of football to be played between now and January, and we will have to see what transpires in terms of injury/illness and suspensions. Nobody wants to see the likes of Connolly/Gyokeres/White given an opportunity more than me, but I'm far from confident that Hughton will oblige. I think the best chance will be a home draw against a L1/L2 or non-league side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here