Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** Sussex v Middlesex LV County Championship ***

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Just a shame our boys now miss out on having another go at batting. Trust me, by the end of the season we will be cursing the fact that we have missed competitive batting practice.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Brilliant win!

Is the slow over rate 2 point deduction a new rule this season, as don't recall it last season?

Three Div 2 sides were deducted points last year for slow over rates, its shocking for Middlesex especially as they tactically could easily have caught up by putting on some part time bowler, in fact it would have reduced the time they needed to bat to save the game.

Taken from wikipedia from the format section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Championship

Points system

The county championship works on a points system, the winner being the team with most points in the first division. The points are currently awarded as follows, with a draw increasing from 3 to 4 points from 2014:

Win: 16 points + bonus points.
Tie: 8 points + bonus points.
Draw: 4 points + bonus points.
Loss: Bonus points.

Bonus points are collected for batting and bowling. These points can only be obtained from the first 110 overs of each team's first innings.[8] The bonus points are retained regardless of the outcome of the match.

Batting
200-249 runs: 1 point
250-299 runs: 2 points
300-349 runs: 3 points
350-399 runs: 4 points
400+ runs: 5 points
Bowling
3-5 wickets taken: 1 point
6-8 wickets taken: 2 points
9-10 wickets taken: 3 points

Deductions

Occasionally, a team may have points deducted. These are normally small deductions, between 0.5 and 1 point and are most commonly handed out for slow over rates or for poor pitches. More severe deductions can be levied however; for example, in 2005 Surrey were handed an 8-point penalty for ball tampering. At the end of the season, this caused Surrey to be relegated to the second division, as after the deduction they finished one point behind Middlesex, who remained in the first division. In 2007, Glamorgan were deducted 8 points for an unprepared wicket at Swansea. Also, in 2011, Warwickshire, Hampshire and Kent were all deducted 8 points for poor pitches at Edgbaston, the Rose Bowl and Canterbury respectively.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Lovley news to wake up to after seeing Brighton win last night :D

Things can only get worse :(

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Three Div 2 sides were deducted points last year for slow over rates, its shocking for Middlesex especially as they tactically could easily have caught up by putting on some part time bowler, in fact it would have reduced the time they needed to bat to save the game.

Taken from wikipedia from the format section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/County_Championship

Points system

The county championship works on a points system, the winner being the team with most points in the first division. The points are currently awarded as follows, with a draw increasing from 3 to 4 points from 2014:

Win: 16 points + bonus points.
Tie: 8 points + bonus points.
Draw: 4 points + bonus points.
Loss: Bonus points.

Bonus points are collected for batting and bowling. These points can only be obtained from the first 110 overs of each team's first innings.[8] The bonus points are retained regardless of the outcome of the match.

Batting
200-249 runs: 1 point
250-299 runs: 2 points
300-349 runs: 3 points
350-399 runs: 4 points
400+ runs: 5 points
Bowling
3-5 wickets taken: 1 point
6-8 wickets taken: 2 points
9-10 wickets taken: 3 points

Deductions

Occasionally, a team may have points deducted. These are normally small deductions, between 0.5 and 1 point and are most commonly handed out for slow over rates or for poor pitches. More severe deductions can be levied however; for example, in 2005 Surrey were handed an 8-point penalty for ball tampering. At the end of the season, this caused Surrey to be relegated to the second division, as after the deduction they finished one point behind Middlesex, who remained in the first division. In 2007, Glamorgan were deducted 8 points for an unprepared wicket at Swansea. Also, in 2011, Warwickshire, Hampshire and Kent were all deducted 8 points for poor pitches at Edgbaston, the Rose Bowl and Canterbury respectively.

Thanks for that. Somewhat odd though, with "These are normally small deductions, between 0.5 and 1 point and are most commonly handed out for slow over rates or for poor pitches." in mind, that Middlesex get a big 2 point deduction straight off. Maybe they are clamping down hard and early this year.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's the cricket equivalent of Burnley beating Spurs 5-0 on opening day. On the plus side it's useful points in our relegation struggle.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Gatting c Kohler-Cadmore b Shantry 0 2 1 0 0

You really have to question Hampshire's scouting team. Nice guy but cannot believe he got another contract in professional cricket.

And then he rewards that faith with a golden duck!.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Sussex tail saved us this time, but I don't fancy a whole season of failure from the "recognised" batsmen. Papering over the cracks. We need to get some big names in pronto - show some ambition, for crikey's sake.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Thanks for that. Somewhat odd though, with "These are normally small deductions, between 0.5 and 1 point and are most commonly handed out for slow over rates or for poor pitches." in mind, that Middlesex get a big 2 point deduction straight off. Maybe they are clamping down hard and early this year.

The Middlesex commentary team were all over it, from the moment they were three overs behind the rate and moaning why Middlesex were not acting to rectify it, I assumed they had caught up. I agree 2 points seems a lot, I found this in the ECB rules, states that championship sides should bowl 16 overs an hour and time is given for wickets taken.

http://static.ecb.co.uk/files/2924-fc-lvcountychamp2012-p255-300-lr-11940.pdf

Attachments

• ECB 16 overs an hour CC 2014.jpg
    ECB 16 overs an hour CC 2014.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 312

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Sussex tail saved us this time, but I don't fancy a whole season of failure from the "recognised" batsmen. Papering over the cracks. We need to get some big names in pronto - show some ambition, for crikey's sake.

Nash and Wright and CJ to come into the team, i'll tempt fate and suggest we have a very strong CC team this year.
In NSC speak, we may stay up, if we are lucky.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
we may stay up, if we are lucky.
This. Having replaced Monty with a county league player, and bolstered our seam attack with an aged Surrey reject, I still fear the worst.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Yes, but the county league player isnt tall enough to piss over the railings

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I turned up at 12.15 expecting to have a pleasant day in the spring sunshine and to see a strong Middlesex rearguard action as they fought to save the match only to be leaving the ground again an hour later!! Excellent result though, Magoffin virtually unplayable.

I turned up at 12.15 expecting to have a pleasant day in the spring sunshine and to see a strong Middlesex rearguard action as they fought to save the match only to be leaving the ground again an hour later!! Excellent result though, Magoffin virtually unplayable.

I was aiming to go after lunch but, having polished my new membership cards, I logged on to the BBC about 12.30 to check on the inevitable and saw that Middx were busy laying out their own buffet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here