[Cricket] ***Sussex v Kent (4-dayer ... or more probable 3) ****

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Having won the ODI series could England have sent Jordan and any other players whose county was involved in crucial matches that they needed to win back to play for them.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I can. There were some shocking performances in the early to mid 70s. I remember losing to Hants by an innings and 200 runs on a plumb batting pitch (think Hants only lost a handful of wickets) and Sussex couldn't reach 200 in total. And that was a Sussex side with Greig and Snow, not young kids.

Yeah, I reluctantly agree. He's been let down by recruitment but a side should have more fight in it

I agree we need to boost our batting but you're a bit harsh on Machan. He scored just under 1000 runs last season, his first full one. He's struggled with a wrist injury all season so warrants a break. Briggs has been disappointing though. We also have Haines coming through - not seen him but heard good things (and he's only 17)

Mach has a great eye and because of this has got away without moving his feet or having a judicious attitude to batting in the longer form of the game. He is also, how shall I put it, an arrogant so-and-so. So when the ball is moving, or there's a need to dig in and play for the team, he has generally been found wanting. Nothing would delight me more if he got his head down and made the best of his talent. He averages 33 in the 7 seasons since he made his debut - not good enough for a player of his ability.

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mach has a great eye and because of this has got away without moving his feet or having a judicious attitude to batting in the longer form of the game. He is also, how shall I put it, an arrogant so-and-so. So when the ball is moving, or there's a need to dig in and play for the team, he has generally been found wanting. Nothing would delight me more if he got his head down and made the best of his talent. He averages 33 in the 7 seasons since he made his debut - not good enough for a player of his ability.

PG

Which is where a more kick-ass coach would help. He's got a lot of talent though, you just know that if Sussex got rid, that he'd go to another county and make runs.

I don't think it's hopeless at Sussex: they need to find another batter from somewhere and really hope Machan, Finch and Haines come on. The captaincy hasn't helped Wright and they may be better finding another one - maybe even Machan, it helps him take responsibility. As for spinners, should they try to get Riley from Kent? He can't get a game right now

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
He is also, how shall I put it, an arrogant so-and-so.

You obviously don't know Matt my friend because you couldn't be further from the truth so engage your brain before you post rubbish like that.

He had a terrific season last year earning him a new contract, he's missed most of this season through injury and when he has played it's been with a pain killing injection.

Along with a few others mentioned he's very much the future of Sussex CC.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
You obviously don't know Matt my friend because you couldn't be further from the truth so engage your brain before you post rubbish like that.

You can disagree with me but it's a view shared by many in and around Sussex cricket, and at Brighton College.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
You can disagree with me but it's a view shared by many in and around Sussex cricket, and at Brighton College.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Don't believe all you get told mate. Trust me you couldn't be further from the truth.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Don't believe all you get told mate. Trust me you couldn't be further from the truth.
Very much a fair comment his on field temperament needs work and he certainly doesn't get the scores his ability suggests he should.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very much a fair comment his on field temperament needs work and he certainly doesn't get the scores his ability suggests he should.

I can't comment on his alleged arrogance (which sounds like tittle-tattle to me) but I do agree with PG that he doesn't always play the most judicious cricket. He does need to temper his undoubted talent with some application.

And, yes, he's been unlucky this year with his wrist - far too soon to write him off

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Machin needs a strong disciplined team coach, come to that the whole team need a strong disciplined coach

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He had a terrific season last year earning him a new contract, he's missed most of this season through injury and when he has played it's been with a pain killing injection.

Along with a few others mentioned he's very much the future of Sussex CC.
Very much this. Lovely bloke. Not the sharpest blade on the mower but he has matured and found a way of playing to his strengths.

Last season, he outperformed both Chris Nash and Ed Joyce - making close to a thousand First Division runs on some dodgy wickets, at an average of 40 and an entertaining, game-progressing, strike rate of 80.00.

Harry Finch showed signs of similar fruition this year before also getting injured. Add to the mix our promising young quick bowlers, + Tom Haines who is definitely one for the future, and there are reasons to be optimistic about the homegrown talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports