Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sussex Sunday League Football 80s to Today

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Never played in that league. Played works football for a couple of years with Southdown Building Society in the National Building Society Cup and in scratch matches against Hurstpierpoint (where my boss was on the committee) and teams organised by ex Albion Steve Piper who was an IFA at the time. Up to that point Piper was comfortably the best player I came up against.

Sunday League was never for me as Saturdays were either following the Albion away or clubbing until the stupid wee hours but I played 5-a-side for my new company when I moved on including a completely insane tournament against Sunday League clubs in Folkestone every year. [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1426]The Wookiee[/MENTION] might remember some of the stories from those days. In the summer I did manage to rouse my sorry backside to play villiage cricket (and Advanced Chair Smashing) with the OP [MENTION=12422]Taybha[/MENTION]

Started playing 11-a-side again when I moved abroad to Taiwan as part of my next job, spending three years as the centre back for the brilliantly fun TienMu B52s. Proper Sunday League against ex pats. Booze and fags before and after and some very interesting tackles. That was when I played against a player who was better than Piper. Our rivals, The Taipei Red Lions, had a player who had been on Bayren Munich's books as a youngster but had retired at that level due to a knee injury. He didn't play regularly and apparently didn't ever last long. In a friendly against them these two facts were overlooked by our coach and I ended up marking him. The ball came over, he killed it stone dead, left me on my arse with a swivel of the hips and stuck it in the top bins from 35 yards not unlike Curtis Jones for Liverpool. Two minutes after that my mate two footed him. He left the pich screaming and never played again. Wasn't even a yellow :lolol:

Nobody smashes chairs like you do mate , Legend . :lolol:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
If you played against Icklesham Casuals 2nd XI anytime between 1982-5 you might have. You may have even scored against me.

The picture is definitely Preston Park as played there around 1980-1 as a 13 year old for a kids team with the last name Dynamos but don't think it was Hove. Remember having training session in the winter behind the bowling alleys at the Hove bowling alley.

Last edited:

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings
In Hastings I remember watching my Dad play for The Fountain and The Plough in the 90s when I was a kid.
On Saturdays he mostly played for Travaux from the mid 80s for around 20 years, also played for Old Centmodians and St Leonards Social briefly.

Back then nearly every pitch down Bulverhythe would have had a game, I played down there a couple of months ago and we were the only two sides playing.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
In Hastings I remember watching my Dad play for The Fountain and The Plough in the 90s when I was a kid.
On Saturdays he mostly played for Travaux from the mid 80s for around 20 years, also played for Old Centmodians and St Leonards Social briefly.

Back then nearly every pitch down Bulverhythe would have had a game, I played down there a couple of months ago and we were the only two sides playing.

Hastings produced some great Sunday sides. Kings Head Ore, Oddfellows and Silverhill Club were all near enough untouchable at their peak.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
When does the league season start again? Heard theres105 teams this year so obvs on the up. Saw a couple of games last year in the sussex sunday prem seemed a good standard but i expect alot in that div have or are playing county league.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Such good times in my 20s playing Sat and Sun football. Used to be 15ish leagues and now I think about 4/5. Why dont people play now. No exaggeration often 150 plus people watching games in Preston Park

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here