Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex - Next Season

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Should we be getting concerned?

Numerous other counties are improving thier squads and as yet nothing from Mark Robinson?

Derby have signed a quality opener (Wavell Hinds) under Kolpak...should we have been looking at him after Monty's retirement.

Reassure me someone.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Derbyshire have just signed Jayawardene too so they SHOULD be full of runs in the second division.

We are still a seamer short, I would think we'll be looking for a Kolpak when the Aussies are eligible.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I need reassurance that the 'better' players are not going to be snapped up before Gus Mackay gets the club's chequebook out.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
We don't need to panic. Sussex still have the backbone of a Championship-winning side. Finding replacements for Monty and Rana would seem to be the priority, but maybe it's a good time to give some local, young talent a shout. We still have Mushy so we're still going to be challenging for the Championship, and I reckon one of the cups will be ours too.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
most people thought we might struggle last year and we won the Championship... your pessimism is a good sign

seriously, there is a lot of quality in the squad still and plenty of time to make a signing or two... Rana, Monty and Saqi out will have freed up a decent war-chest in terms of wages (only slightly dented by the contracts for RHB, Brown and Beer)...

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Saqi's wages were minimal, from my understanding. I would imagine that we would sign an experienced seamer on a Kolpak and fill Monty's void with what we've already got.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
why does it matter anymore, weve won league twice

Three times! As we have a limited income from not having test ground status and having a relatively small capacity, it is essential that we continue to attract spectators and investors through performances on the pitch to survive. We made a £300k loss, the season before last, despite winning the double. :nono: To put it into context - You gain a prize of £100k (I think) for winning the County Championship, less than a weeks wages for John Terry. :rant:

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Three times! As we have a limited income from not having test ground status and having a relatively small capacity, it is essential that we continue to attract spectators and investors through performances on the pitch to survive. We made a £300k loss, the season before last, despite winning the double. :nono: To put it into context - You gain a prize of £100k (I think) for winning the County Championship, less than a weeks wages for John Terry. :rant:

That sums it up BoF old chap.

Bloody wonderful that we have won the chamionship three times in 5 years!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Replace investors with sponsors. :dunce:

We are close to being the team of the 'noughties' I would imagine. We wait over 100 years for the first one and then get three in five years! Good times to be Sussex fans.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
No worries. We will win the league in 2008. We will beat Lancs to the title by half a point after they have a point deducted for playing on a watterlogged pitch at Old Trafford.

and you can only play one overseas player next season, hence the exitting of Rana and Saqlain.

and I understand that wedon't want to get Kolpak players

BTW, Rory Hamilton brown (captain Enagland U-19) has SIGNED for us and his a dead ringer for Alec Stewart

Rory Hamilton-Brown
A young middle-order batsman who made his debut for Surrey in 2005 against Bangladesh A.

He went on to play in one totesport League game for the club against Sussex at Guildford, making 20 runs and signed a three year contract deal at the end of the season.

Made his second XI debut the previous year as a 16-year-old when he made 84 against Sussex.

He is a talented sportsman and also plays rugby union for Harlequins and England juniors. His father played for Warwickshire and his godfather is former England international Dennis Amiss.

The former England Under-16 captain was called up for the Under-19 tour to Bangladesh at the end of 2005 when Glamorgan's Huw Waters was ruled out through injury.

Took his chance well and took three wickets in a match on three occasions before ending the trip with figures of 4-36 against Sri Lanka.

hb78-26794.jpg

England lost all 11 games on the tour but Hamilton-Brown did enough to earn a place in the squad for the Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka in February 2006.

Made a fine start to the tournament by taking 3-17 against Nepal and then made 55 with the bat against Ireland which was followed by 47 against Zimbabwe.

That secured England's progress to the quarter-final stage where his 23 not out sealed victory over Bangladesh but he could not prevent a heavy defeat by India in the semi-finals.

He was selected to captain the England U19 squad for two triangular one-day tournaments in Malaysia in January and February 2007, but had to pull out with an injury.

Hamilton-Brown was again chosen as England Under-19 captain for the 2007 summer although he was suspended for the first Test against Pakistan after allegations of drinking which later proved unfounded.

He returned to skipper the side in the second Test and the five-match ODI series against the same opposition.

Despite several one-day appearances for Surrey in 2007 he was released from his contract at the end of the season and joined Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here