Sussex County Flag

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
See link. Seems Kent, Cornwall and now Devon have one. Seems to be mainly driven by a need to improve tourism or create an icon of regional identity. Would it be a good thing for Good Old Sussex By The Sea ? if so what should it look like ?

Devon Flag

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
One thing that does not help unlike the above mentioned counties, is that goverment wise we are two seperate Counties West and East Sussex. So I think that could be one reason. Personally I still see Sussex as Sussex not W or E. I think it would be a smashing idea. I will try and raise it as Youth MP.

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
Harold said:
See link. Seems Kent, Cornwall and now Devon have one. Seems to be mainly driven by a need to improve tourism or create an icon of regional identity. Would it be a good thing for Good Old Sussex By The Sea ? if so what should it look like ?

Devon Flag

Has to be flag with blue and white stripes with a seagull in th middle

There hasn't been a single administrative area called "Sussex" since the Kingdom of Wessex came along and snuffed out the last vestiges of the Kingdom of the South Saxons.

East Sussex and West Sussex have been separate counties ever since the invention of the county.

That's why there will never be a Sussex flag.

But there are the two crests.

East Sussex:-

eastsuss.jpg

and West Sussex:-

westsuss.jpg

Incidentally, the current West Sussex crest (shown above) dates back only to the 1970s - and includes the crown of East Sussex and the acorns of Surrey, reflecting the fact that West Sussex took over parts of those two counties in 1974.

The East Sussex crest is a variation on an ancient crest that dates back to the Kingdom of Sussex.

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Like this?

Soz I was having problems trying to download my dream Sussex Flag, it should be noted Yorkshires been divided for ages (The ridings of Yorkshire) yet they are having their own flag.

Attachments

• indiana2.bmp
    50.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Re: Re: Sussex County Flag

kevinsmith said:
Has to be flag with blue and white stripes with a seagull in th middle
Curiously enough, the arms of Brighton, Victoria, do have blue and white stripes and a seagull at the top - presumably some sort of Aussie seagull, though:-

brightonvc.jpg

Last edited:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Proof that Yorkshires been divided for ages. It shows Pre 1974 borders, and post.:lolol:

P.S It should be noted that Sussex has only been divided since 1888 when there was a act on the 'Division of the County of Sussex'. From that day onwards Sussex was divided goverment wise. Although spiritually it will always ne Sussex-by-the-sea

Attachments

• ridings of yorkshire.jpg
    ridings of yorkshire.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Lord Bracknell said:
The East Sussex crest is a variation on an ancient crest that dates back to the Kingdom of Sussex.

The Kingdom of Sussex...I like the sound of that.

Let's declare UDI and have passport controls on every road and rail line, so to stop the infidels invading God's own county.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Harold said:
The Kingdom of Sussex...I like the sound of that.
Yeah.

But who would we have as king? Bearing in mind that the title is hereditary. The last King of Sussex seems to have been called King Osmund.

King Norman and Queen Zoe, with Prince Woody first in line?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports