Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Country Pubs

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The Anchor at Barcombe has possibly the loveliest setting for a summer's evening, and quite possibly served up the worst pub meal I have had since moving to Sussex 25 years ago. The meal was right out of the 70s. Cheap frozen chips, scrawny, tasteless slices of ham and a couple of overcooked eggs with 'salad garnish'.

Had an awful experience with their food a few years back. Went their on a Saturday evening, had chili con carne, spent most of the night throwing up ... at both ends. Haven't been back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
One that surprises me is The Royal Oak (?) On the bend at Wivlesfield been boarded up for ages. When I had my pub jn Burgess Hill often went there as it did good food but closed re-opened and wasnt as succesful as it served mediocre food at an expensive price and now closed and boarded up. No doubt will become houses or flats.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
You might be muddling the Anchor up with the Anglers Rest at Barcombe Mills which,sadly, did close many years ago.
I haven't been to The Anchor for many years. It has had a bad press in some other forums, but whether or not that's justified I can't say.

It is justified. Went there about a year ago. Harvey's bottles in the fridge, no crisps and some bloke complained his main hadn't turned up and he's been waiting for over an hour and the girl said 'if it helps you're dessert is ready......'

Shame. Used to be great

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is justified. Went there about a year ago. Harvey's bottles in the fridge, no crisps and some bloke complained his main hadn't turned up and he's been waiting for over an hour and the girl said 'if it helps you're dessert is ready......'

Shame. Used to be great

Can believe this. All the time we were there the landlady was at a table in the garden chatting with mates, anyone going to the bar got daggers from her for interrupting her evening.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Can believe this. All the time we were there the landlady was at a table in the garden chatting with mates, anyone going to the bar got daggers from her for interrupting her evening.

Yep. Looked like it was being run by a load of local student types. All a bit of a joke to them
'Crisps please'

'Sure what flavour?'

'Cheese and a Onion?'

'Sorry only got beef left.....'

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Anyone been to The Halfway House in Eisfield recently, Sunday lunch any good?

Recently? How about EVER?
Don't live too far away but have never heard of anyone even trying it out. I hope it survives but it's neighbour on the A26 called the Old Ship closed a few months ago and I can't imagine it will become a pub again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Recently? How about EVER?
Don't live too far away but have never heard of anyone even trying it out. I hope it survives but it's neighbour on the A26 called the Old Ship closed a few months ago and I can't imagine it will become a pub again.

Been past it a lot, always seems quite busy.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Been past it a lot, always seems quite busy.

Heard decent things about the food at the Peacock in Piltdown recently. Tried the Gun Inn at Chiddingly the other day which was good other than terribly slow service at the bar.
After that, and in the not too distant vicinity, you've got the Griffin and the Ram which are always quality.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Heard decent things about the food at the Peacock in Piltdown recently. Tried the Gun Inn at Chiddingly the other day which was good other than terribly slow service at the bar.
After that, and in the not too distant vicinity, you've got the Griffin and the Ram which are always quality.

Would agree re: The Ram but The Griffin sadly not quality recently. Last 3 meals there have been poor, cold, wrong or tough. Fallen behind The Coach and Horses at Chelwood Gate, The Crown in Horsted Keynes and The Peacock at Piltdown IMO. A pub that rested on its laurels.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
One that surprises me is The Royal Oak (?) On the bend at Wivlesfield been boarded up for ages. When I had my pub jn Burgess Hill often went there as it did good food but closed re-opened and wasnt as succesful as it served mediocre food at an expensive price and now closed and boarded up. No doubt will become houses or flats.

Jacobs Post

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I'm back up in Sussex this weekend and the schedule is as follows. Tonight starting in the New Inn followed by the Griffin, tomorrow the Ram for breakfast, and the Blackboys for the evening. Sunday lunchtime will be the Half Way House before setting off back to Dorset.

Bit concerned about the comments on the Griffin and amazed to hear that the Coach & Horses is doing good food. It used to be typical pub grub when I still lived in Sussex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here