Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2024 edition

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lots of very high scores for this early in the season. What's with using the Kookabara (sp?) ball - is that a factor in the run glut?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Lots of very high scores for this early in the season. What's with using the Kookabara (sp?) ball - is that a facor in the run glut?
It’s Rob Key’s big idea to help us in Australia winter after next, presumably he thinks if the county bowlers can’t swing the ball they’re all going to start bowling 94mph consistently

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It’s Rob Key’s big idea to help us in Australia winter after next, presumably he thinks if the county bowlers can’t swing the ball they’re all going to start bowling 94mph consistently
I suspect that the pitches and conditions have just been generally flat, more than the ball itself making all that much difference.

That said, I was listening to the Wisden weekly podcast the other day where they were discussing Essex's Sam Cook talking about the differences in bowling with the Kookaburra, such as the need to bowl a wobble seam with a much tighter wobble than you would a Dukes, so there are some differences in skill/application that are worth picking up beyond just "bowl faster".

Amusingly, Scott Boland's travails in England have continued even with a familiar ball, he took 0/54 of 13 overs against Warwickshire before resting to nurse a heel injury on the second day.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
You have a top man in John Simpson.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suspect that the pitches and conditions have just been generally flat, more than the ball itself making all that much difference.

That said, I was listening to the Wisden weekly podcast the other day where they were discussing Essex's Sam Cook talking about the differences in bowling with the Kookaburra, such as the need to bowl a wobble seam with a much tighter wobble than you would a Dukes, so there are some differences in skill/application that are worth picking up beyond just "bowl faster".

Amusingly, Scott Boland's travails in England have continued even with a familiar ball, he took 0/54 of 13 overs against Warwickshire before resting to nurse a heel injury on the second day.
It does rather surprise me. He's the classic old English donkey. Mike Hendrick type player. I thought he would love these conditions.

The mistake that some Aussies make over here is misjudging lengths. I don't know if that's an issue for him. I remember when McGrath first turned up and got carted around Birmingham in the first Test of 1997. He was bowling too short. Mind you, that was the first and only Test he made that error.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not often that Sussex's 7th, 8th & 9th wicket partnerships collectively put on over 400 runs. Top effort.

Batters doing bits.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It does rather surprise me. He's the classic old English donkey. Mike Hendrick type player. I thought he would love these conditions.

The mistake that some Aussies make over here is misjudging lengths. I don't know if that's an issue for him. I remember when McGrath first turned up and got carted around Birmingham in the first Test of 1997. He was bowling too short. Mind you, that was the first and only Test he made that error.
I don't think there's actually that great a difference between a good length in Australia and England - on a typical Australian pitch that ball bounces well over the stumps and almost all your wickets are caught behind, while in England you're often looking for a similar delivery to come back in and hit the stumps.

Anyway, there's a good article about this sort of thing here, which is either an edited version of a chapter from the book Against The Spin or the article that the chapter was based on:

It's quite lengthy, but can be summarised as:
The best length in tests is almost always 6m-8m from the stumps (I.e. shorter than might be guessed)
Most of the great spells where you think of a fast bowler pitching it up, they actually bowled just as short as all the other matches where you were tearing your hair out in frustration at them bowling too short.

The best bit in it is this great fact:
"The difference in release angle between a ball that will land 6m away from the stumps, and one that will land 5m away is about 0.8 degrees. This is the same angular difference between hitting the top and bottom of the bullseye for a darts player."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So out of all the games played so far this season only 1 team has managed a win and that is the pikeys from f***ing Essex!

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
So out of all the games played so far this season only 1 team has managed a win and that is the pikeys from f***ing Essex!

Cider Boys making a good fist of forcing a result at the Oval
Surrey have slipped from 90/0 in the 9th to 118/5 in the 13th
88 to win from 33, 5 wickets in hand

NVM. As soon as I posted that they shook hands for the draw

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still - the weather will no doubt be glorious for the Hundred :rolleyes:
Next time you mention that farce on this thread, I sincerely hope that you will be banning yourself.

Mind you, I spend my time on here being nice to folks, so I do need the potty mouth, abusive release once a year. I save it for Crodo's Hundred thread. I don't mind one infraction a year. They probably fall off like points on a driving license.

Last edited:

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Next time you mention that farce on this thread, I sincerely hope that you will be banning yourself.

Mind you, I spend my time on here being nice to folks, so I do need the potty mouth, abusive release once a year. I save it for Crodo's Hundred thread. I don't mind one infraction a year. They probably fall off like points on a driving license.
I try not to open any of Crodo’s threads now😊. That smash bang cricket isn’t cricket as we all know. I haven’t watched any IPL this year either - first class cricket for me - tests, CC and Sussex one day stuff only

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If it makes you feel any better, Essex are likely to have about 10 points deducted for one of their players using an oversized bat.
I don't know if I'm being wooshed or not. I'm a bit vulnerable to those.

EDIT It appears I'm not.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I try not to open any of Crodo’s threads now😊. That smash bang cricket isn’t cricket as we all know. I haven’t watched any IPL this year either - first class cricket for me - tests, CC and Sussex one day stuff only
This makes me happy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If it makes you feel any better, Essex are likely to have about 10 points deducted for one of their players using an oversized bat.
If it’s not called the Essex Wide Boy then what’s the point

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't know if I'm being wooshed or not. I'm a bit vulnerable to those.

EDIT It appears I'm not.
I considered providing a link to an article, but decided that would undercut the comedy value.
Here, I'll try and support some local rag rather than Sky Sports:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I considered providing a link to an article, but decided that would undercut the comedy value.
Here, I'll try and support some local rag rather than Sky Sports:
It seems so silly. I would have thought that they would have looked at these things internally. A ten point deduction for stupidity. Imagine losing the Championship for that.

I'm going to be crudely honest and say it is a little funny.

Well, very funny.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Sorry. Noted.

I’m just finding it rather frustrating that Sussex have, on performance, ‘won’ two matches, but have never looked like completing either of them, thanks to the inevitability changeable spring weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here