Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex boys in 'Everesting' attempt - 60 consecutive climbs up Ditchling Beacon

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think there's time for the parents to get them over to Firle and get some warning flag volunteers out for those latter ascents and descents.
There's just no way the lads can trust the bends, or themselves, on Ditchling Beacon.
The road it too busy to have a 'moment' and cut a turn, they'll be having plenty of 'moments' towards the end.

For a laugh I took 9 (or 10) year old jnr to the Beacon, after we'd already done a 20 mile sportive (race-lite), thinking he'd crack after a couple of corners.
I hadn't accounted for his stubbornness and desire to not fail in front of me, the little bugger made it to the top, posing me a serious dilemma. How the fook do I get him down?
I finally gritted my teeth and sent him on his way, following on behind.
I shat myself all the way down knowing the luckiest I could get would be, being in a hospital explaining why we were there, to his mother.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think there's time for the parents to get them over to Firle and get some warning flag volunteers out for those latter ascents and descents.

They seriously need to reconsider and go for the Firle option.

It really is just a no brainer.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
What a challenge! I've done an Everest descent in a bike park on a DH bike with a chair lift lapping me back to the top :wink:

I did 1315m up in a day, that was enough. I feel inspired.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ambitious. But 13 and 14 I very much doubt they've got the physical capabilities to do it.

Having said that, when I was in my PRIME I almost got up the first 50 meters of the beacon. So I guess anything is possible.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ambitious. But 13 and 14 I very much doubt they've got the physical capabilities to do it.

Having said that, when I was in my PRIME I almost got up the first 50 meters of the beacon. So I guess anything is possible.

They also don't have 30+ years of added *muscle* :rolleyes:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Descending DB 60+ consecutive times isn't something I would look forward too, let alone ascending it that many times.

FB is a much better option for this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh figured I ought to look at the link and sure enough, I know those lads.
They raced at the same meeting as Jnr.

Lukas in particular is a very talented rider.
In the same way a lad looks so much better kicking a ball, than all the others, he's the cycling equivalent.

No matter how many age groups he went up, and how big a handicap he was given, he usually won with ease.

I still wouldn't trust him on DB 60 times, that just smacks of unnecessary complications.

Glanders

Mar 12, 2012
I don't know them, but I'm pretty sure they'll do it - I certainly wouldn't go public with anything I wasn't reasonably confident I could do! That said, I totally agree with all the other comments concerning Firle as a better choice of hill.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I guess the reasoning for choosing Ditchling Beacon is that it is equally as hazardous as Everest itself. Except instead of oxygen deprivation you have to deal with nutcase drivers and blind corners.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
A peep at their justgiving page shows they delayed their attempt from yesterday to today. Wishing them much luck.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck lads, if you've not summited or well done if you're done and dusted. Have to put £20 in for your effort and my love for the Nepalese but hope you go somewhere safer next time.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Everest, buried in St Andrews Church, Hove, had Sagarmatha changed to his name and this is a challenge worthy of Hove boys.
Raising money for Nepal is great too.

I've cycled it a number of times,once on a 3 gear Sturmey Archer, walked it numerous times and driven it. Think it's a dangerous challenge and not possible.

From wikipedia:

In 1865, Everest was given its official English name by the Royal Geographical Society, upon a recommendation by Andrew Waugh, the British Surveyor General of India. As there appeared to be several different local names, Waugh chose to name the mountain after his predecessor in the post, Sir George Everest, despite George Everest's objections.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
:lolol:

Absolutely no chance they're going to ride up the Beacon 60 consecutive times. None whatsoever.

I'll donate if they do it, but they won't.

Tom has just completed his 65th ride up the beacon, starting at 5.00am this morning, he completed the last ascent at 10.30pm tonight. I was in the support car following him up the beacon for the last couple of hours. Unfortunately Lukas had to drop out this afternoon due to illness, but he did ride the last ascent up with Tom. We think he is the youngest person to have completed an "Everest". A fantastic achievement for anybody, especially someone of his age.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:lolol:

Absolutely no chance they're going to ride up the Beacon 60 consecutive times. None whatsoever.

I'll donate if they do it, but they won't.

Have you coughed up yet, Ninja? ;)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Tom has just completed his 65th ride up the beacon, starting at 5.00am this morning, he completed the last ascent at 10.30pm tonight. I was in the support car following him up the beacon for the last couple of hours. Unfortunately Lukas had to drop out this afternoon due to illness, but he did ride the last ascent up with Tom. We think he is the youngest person to have completed an "Everest". A fantastic achievement for anybody, especially someone of his age.

Fantastic stuff. Will be interesting to see how generous [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] is when proved wrong. :wrong:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Fair to say there was a lot going on during Deadline Day, I missed this - I'll donate later on.

:thumbsup: Well played, that's MENTAL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here