Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Surprisingly dangerous sports

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Fishing isn’t in the sports area but was in the dangerous pastimes. Not a Sussex pond/river type fishing but coastal sea fishing - getting washed out to sea appears to be the danger or maybe it was catching too big a fish!

When I first read this I saw ‘fisting’ :ohmy: And if you keep reading with that in mind it’s quite amusing :lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ski jumping / ski flying is perhaps in the opposite category... "surprisingly safe sports". Sure looks dangerous though, whenever I watch it (... not that often) I wonder how they are not all dead, you would imagine that if they are doing this shit 20 times a day in training they would **** up and die to death at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPs3HbfR5dE

Pole vaulting. I don't even know how you start to PRACTICE that without it being potentially lethal.

Yep, there are some sports where I don't even know how you'd start practicing. Ski jump is one, pole vault another. Speedway, given the lack of brakes is a third and those Red Bull air races are a fourth.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
When applying for life insurance, I was asked if I did any dangerous pastimes, I replied yes I go gliding, the man looked through his list. No thats quite safe. I also said I played golf, cue sharp intake of breath. Evidently quite dangerous.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Your life's at risk when she finds out how much you spent on that broom handle putter...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Golf has to up there? Having been struck by balls several times and had a few whistle past my lughole, lighting strikes are also a danger on the course...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Golf has to up there? Having been struck by balls several times and had a few whistle past my lughole, lighting strikes are also a danger on the course...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you play a lot of golf?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that anyone who jumps regularly off a building or off a cliff or out of a perfectly working aeroplane with parachutes or even more suicidal " Wing Suits " is storing up a whole lot of bad luck. And sadly, I have no sympathy for them.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I would like to back up your theory by saying that my Grandad did indeed die of a heart attack whilst playing Crown Green Bowling at Southborough Bowls Club Tunbridge Wells.
And to back it up further, although it is not exactly the same sport, my dad died of a heart attack at Arundel playing flat green bowls.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe squash balls have caused a lot of eye injuries.

I believe that a squash ball is slightly smaller than the orbit of the eye socket , ergo, hit full in the eye by a Tennis ball or Cricket ball you will usually keep your sight... but a Squash ball is a squisher.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm surprised no one has mentioned football as we all recall Billy Sharp's fatality following an innocuous tackle by Dunk in the Amex curtain raiser.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here