Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporting the other Home Nations in sport

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Isnt it a shame that the English defeat was celebrated so enthusiastically by the Welsh team., I know there are exceptions, but the vast majority of English people genuinley want to see the other Home Nations do well (excepting when playing England of course) and there were lots of great messages from English fans on the Irish and Welsh successes. It doesnt seem to be reciprocated and there is a lot of the Anyone But England mentality.There will always be good humoured joshing and one upmanship (I paricularly liked the flood warnings in force in the border regions as the scottish and welsh are pissing themselves so much) but surley we should all wish each other well.
I for one really hope the Welsh continue to do well in the competition, even though they now have bragging rights for at least the next 2 years.
So Good Luck to the Wales team against Belgium , I hope the Welsh supporters have a great time cheering thier team on, and hope any English Supporters still in France lend there voices to the Welsh support

I loved it - players being like fans. I wish more players reacted like that, rivalry in sport is a good thing. I hope Belgium crush them now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Personally couldn't give two shits about other home countries to be honest. I don't celebrate them losing though, they just don't concern me.

I agree with this, although I have followed them when Albion players have been involved such as Greer, Hughes, Ward and Crofts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
we dont agree on much mate , but on this we are as one :lolol:

I agree with you (all the way back the thread). So why is it I want Wales to win? I'm not intrinsically mad . . . . maybe it is just arrogance: the Welsh that hate us are just being silly, or something :shrug::lolol: After all, Wales vs the Aussies . . . . surely the locals have it?

Hang on, Portslade vs Southwick? Eff of, wicker scum!.

Yes, its those most near we distrust the most, because probablt we share more and resent more the tiny differences :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Personally couldn't give two shits about other home countries to be honest. I don't celebrate them losing though, they just don't concern me.

I've said it before, nothing more insulting than indifference. I just don't care how they get on. Same as Sweden or Portugal or.......
I want Italy to win and that's the only team that interests me in doing well after England are out. I didn't just pick them though..I had an Italian mother.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm supporting Iceland. I don't give a shit who wins out of Wales or Belgium

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm supporting Iceland now, beyond that can't really say I'm fussed as to who wins it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They are the country that voted OUT even though Europe has saved them from being a cooler wetter version of Greece. Enough said about Wales

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
They are the country that voted OUT even though Europe has saved them from being a cooler wetter version of Greece. Enough said about Wales

Why mix politics with sport? Personally other "home nations" are just other nations and rivals in football. Perhaps it goes back to my youth and the Home Internationals when defeating the Scots was the prime objective. NB if you had ever stood befphind Gordon Banks' goal at Wembley amongst 90,000 drunken Scotsmen , you would know what I mean....

Eng- er- land !

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've said it before, nothing more insulting than indifference. I just don't care how they get on. Same as Sweden or Portugal or.......
I want Italy to win and that's the only team that interests me in doing well after England are out. I didn't just pick them though..I had an Italian mother.

I'm sure I read somewhere once that one of the biggest reasons the Scots hate us when it comes to sport, football in particular, is that they hate the fact we simply don't care about them.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just when you start warming to the Welsh they always come out with some cvntish behaviour.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
As my Scotch mate would say "Get tae fock".

For 90 minutes I wish nothing but abject humiliation to Wales & Scotland.

That probably *should* be the correct answer, but we haven't had to bother with Wales before, so it's not a learned behaviour.

Therefore, if I'm being honest, I feel mildly pleased for them. Only mildly, though.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Welsh players might actually have brain cells in that they are united as a squad. Monday night made me feel sick as I saw a bunch of individual idiots looking for a way out so as to get on their summer holidays - anything than have to endure another week of boredom before bowing out meekly 3-0 to France. Wales saw it as another way to bond, to laugh, to keep entertained and to be the most successful British side playing partly in honour of the late, great Gary Speed and I'm sure they'll dedicate the spirit to the legacy that he left.

Anybody offended by the Welsh pissing themselves at arguably England's biggest slapstick comedy football is taking life too seriously. Yes, I have Welsh blood and would be eligible to play for them through my father's dad but I was born, raised and have always lived in England. I've always found Wales a passionate country and the people extremely friendly. Scotland on the other hand......

But yesterday felt horrible. I don't ever want to feel that angry or ashamed again. It was a case of internal bleeding. I couldn't discuss football with anyone.

I would love Wales to win Euro 2016. For they have shown the pampered English frauds how to go on an enjoyable adventure and for that i will cheer loudly for them. I can't wait for Friday night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here