Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supersize me

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
has anyone seen this docufilm yet?

Its about this guy who eats Macdonalds morning ,noon and night for 30 days to show how bad it is for you. he had 3 doctors monitoring him and the told him after two weeks to stop.

now I havnt seen the fim but the guy was being interviewed in radio 2 yesterday.

what the hell is the point of it all?
I know Macdonalds are crooked bastards but you cant blame them for fat bastards eating their food all the time. there is nothing wrong with fast food if you eat it in moderation.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Mr Popkins said:
nothing wrong with fast food if you eat it in moderation.

Assume you haven't read Fast Food Nation then?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
There is nothing RIGHT with fast food, except convinience, but then you have to carry the burden of shame.

There is only one use for McDonalds - it's a free toilet in Western Road (and then I always make sure i piss on the floor).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if anyone mentions SubWay as a fast food eatery i will have you Shot and your innards fed to the ducks at Falmer pond!

It is an established Restuarant and should be seen alongside the likes of La Grenouille ($45pf. lunch, $80pf. dinner) in New York City and the chain of Hard Rock Cafe....I thank you.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Jimmy Saville said:

There is only one use for McDonalds - it's a free toilet in Western Road (and then I always make sure i piss on the floor).

:lolol:

good on ya mate !!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Supersize me

Wozza said:
Assume you haven't read Fast Food Nation then?
No I haven't, but I remember some Health Food fanatic after laying into absolutely every form of processed food on the planet then added: "Of course the odd Big Mac every now and then isn't going to kill you" That I think was Popkin's point, we all know that living off a diet of lard patties in a chemical bun is 'bad' for you - so what was the point of the exercise?

I'm personally sick of all the diet 'advice', I'll eat what I chose when I chose. The bottom line is I'm going to die anyway no matter what I eat - just like the bloke who drank a pint of carrot juice every day because he thought carrot juice was 'healthy'.

Fast Food for Ever!

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
From BBC News :

McDonald's has taken out newspaper ads in the UK to say a documentary about its food is "slick" and "well-made" - but unrealistic.
Super Size Me shows a film-maker eat nothing but McDonald's food for a month - with the result that he put on 25lb (11kg) and was warned he could die.

It was a hot ticket at the Edinburgh Film Festival on Thursday and Friday.

The ad says: "What we do agree with is its core argument - if you eat too much and do too little, it's bad for you."

It goes on: "What we don't agree with is the idea that eating at McDonald's is bad for you."

Morgan Spurlock ate McDonald's food for every meal and had to upgrade to a super size meal if offered. He also cut down physical exercise.

I don't expect it to have an impact here in the UK because I think customers will realise there's nothing new here

McDonald's spokeswoman
The McDonald's advert says the average customer would take more than six years to eat the amount he consumed.

"The film is slick, well-made and yes, somewhat annoyingly, doesn't portray McDonald's in the most favourable light," it reads.

"We've always been famous for our hamburgers and our fries, but we wouldn't suggest that they are anything other than part of a balanced diet."

The ad goes on to give details of healthy options such as salads and fruit bags, which McDonald's says is responsible for a 10% global sales increase.

Cult hit

Super size meals will be scrapped by the end of the year, the chain has announced.

The film has become a cult hit after its US release in May, and won Spurlock the award for best director at the Sundance Film Festival.

A McDonald's spokesperson told BBC News Online: "We know that Morgan is at the Edinburgh Film Festival so we wanted to ensure that there is a balanced debate.

"I don't expect the film to have an impact here in the UK because I think customers will realise there's nothing new here."

larus

Re: Re: Re: Supersize me

Brovian said:
I'm personally sick of all the diet 'advice', I'll eat what I chose when I chose. The bottom line is I'm going to die anyway no matter what I eat - just like the bloke who drank a pint of carrot juice every day because he thought carrot juice was 'healthy'.

It's also down to quality of life. Yes, you may live as long, but you can't enjoy life as much if you are overweight and unfit/unhealthy.

It's like smoking; one fag won't kill you, smoking for 5 years is unlikely to, but over a period of time it has an effect. Also, it will affect people differently, so it comes to do luck.

As for Carrot Juice, it is very good for you (something to do with 'free radicals' I beleive - which are supposedly more abundant in brightly coloured fruit & veg).

The more careful you are, the better chance you have of living a long & healthy life; which doesn't have to be boring.

As the saying goes, 'Everything in moderation'.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Supersize me

Brovian said:
No I haven't, but I remember some Health Food fanatic after laying into absolutely every form of processed food on the planet then added: "Of course the odd Big Mac every now and then isn't going to kill you" That I think was Popkin's point, we all know that living off a diet of lard patties in a chemical bun is 'bad' for you - so what was the point of the exercise?

Fast Food for Ever!

What you're really saying is, "I like shit food". Well done.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
The health implications are one thing, but a more powerful factor in why I never eat in McDonalds is the fact that it tastes like Horse by-product and distilled Rat urine

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
.... and another thing. Why do people call fast food 'junk food'? Junk food is stuff like grass and twigs, food humans can't digest. I prefer the term 'Nutritionally unbalanced' food.

Wozza: You stick to your sushi and organic museli and I'll stick to pizzas, burgers and curries and we'll both be happy. See you in the Cemetery.

Toad: The bloke died of Vitamin A toxicity!

PS - Just editing to say that I don't actually eat in MacDonalds as the burgers aren't that good. But I won't hear a word against Whoppers.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here