Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Super Paul Mullin

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
For a top league one / lower championship side it probably is…

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The new Jamie Vardy surely.

Maybe not.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You’re obviously too young to remember a young talent that we picked up from Burton Albion
That's not a serious comparison? Ward was a teenager at the start of his career, Mullin is 28 and is the epitome of the term 'lower league journeyman'. He's played for Vauxhall Motors (on loan from Huddersfield where he didn't make the grade), Morecambe, Swindon, Tranmere, Cambridge, and now non-league Wrexham.

No he is most definitely not 'worth a punt', just because he's had one good season in the fifth tier of English football. Blimey, players who've played well in the top tier of Dutch football often struggle in the PL and couldn't make our side even when we were struggling.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You’re obviously too young to remember a young talent that we picked up from Burton Albion
He was my favourite player for decades and one of the reasons I started watching the Albion regularly, however he was no more than average as a top half of the first division forward imo and I doubt he’d make the current team. I can’t see us taking a punt of a 28 year old who has only just arrived back in the football league.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I suspect the Hollywood boys will constantly upgrade the squad. Mullin won’t be there in a couple of seasons and it won’t be because he’s playing Premier League :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He was my favourite player for decades and one of the reasons I started watching the Albion regularly, however he was no more than average as a top half of the first division forward imo and I doubt he’d make the current team. I can’t see us taking a punt of a 28 year old who has only just arrived back in the football league.
You have stated as much before and I have replied before in kind as well. He scored 16 goals in 1979-80 and was 5th in the goalscorers alongside Dalgleish who maybe also could by your reckoning be no more than average? He scored more than Francis the first million pound player and also ahead of recognised names such as Stapleton and Jordan who also played for much better teams. We were not a great team that year and it was a great achievement. Wardy's position and number of goals was certainly not average if one looks at the competition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You have stated as much before and I have replied before in kind as well. He scored 16 goals in 1979-80 and was 5th in the goalscorers alongside Dalgleish who maybe also could by your reckoning be no more than average? He scored more than Francis the first million pound player and also ahead of recognised names such as Stapleton and Jordan who also played for much better teams. We were not a great team that year and it was a great achievement. Wardy's position and number of goals was certainly not average if one looks at the competition.
Quite right, I have just checked, my memory is shit, I should have done better, seeing as he was my favourite player :down:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Quite right, I have just checked, my memory is shit, I should have done better, seeing as he was my favourite player :down:
Hey no worries. Wardy was and is still my hero even after all these years. And my memory is pretty bad at times too. 👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here