Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland offer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Buckley's hamstring problems have been blamed on him still growing and the differences between the training ground surfaces and the Amex pitch. You'd hope the growing problems will sort themselves out naturally and the new training ground should solve the Amex problem.

The ' still growing ' argument is only part of it and is cover for the fact that they can't sort out his problem.
Buckley's style of running is very upright and his forte is to push off quickly from a standing start and beat the defender for sheer pace over 30-40 yards. His game is all about short bursts of speed. The main problem he has is overstriding. He tries to get into full stride too quickly, determined to burn off the opposition as quickly as possible. The strain he is putting on his legs/hamstrings is too much and if the Amex pitch is as unforgiving as people say, then he will keep getting injured.
It will be very difficult for him to change/modify his running style. He has grown up running like this and it comes naturally to him. Some basic training with a top sprinting coach may help. Trying to start his run lower to the ground and shortening his early strides like KLL.
Buckley's blistering pace over short distances is down to his running style. Early long strides. This is also his problem and causing all the injury issues. I fear this will dog him all his career.

I keep hearing the Amex pitch being used as a reason for hamstring problems but Buckley's latest in a string of hamstring injuries occurred at Blackpool. Does anyone have the stats on where these injuries, that seem to arise as soon as he is match fit and running at full speed have occurred? Is it mostly at the Amex or split between the Amex and away grounds?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If true just do it, the January window will soon be closing and with cash and new player it gives Oscar a little bit of time to sign players in other positions.

My only concern is we might have four strikers in the squad and with playing one up it will be difficult to keep them all happy, unless this is a clear indication that Oscar might tinker with the style and play two strikers (I do hope so).

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
If true just do it, the January window will soon be closing and with cash and new player it gives Oscar a little bit of time to sign players in other positions.

My only concern is we might have four strikers in the squad and with playing one up it will be difficult to keep them all happy, unless this is a clear indication that Oscar might tinker with the style and play two strikers (I do hope so).

The idea of Wickham ( 8 in 10 for Sheff Weds this season) and Ulloa both playing upfront is mouth watering, especially with crosses supplied by Conway. I fear I am getting a bit carried away here :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I keep hearing the Amex pitch being used as a reason for hamstring problems but Buckley's latest in a string of hamstring injuries occurred at Blackpool. Does anyone have the stats on where these injuries, that seem to arise as soon as he is match fit and running at full speed have occurred? Is it mostly at the Amex or split between the Amex and away grounds?

His last one was away too. Doncaster I think it was.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

Would be interesting to see some stats re his injuries. There just seems to be a re-occuring theme. Injured for 4-5 weeks, back for two to three weeks, injured again.
I still maintain that it is more down to his stride pattern than anything. This ' still growing ' argument carries no credence with me. FFS..how old is he now?
I would cash in now if we can. All the time he is at BHA, he is going to keep getting injured. The coaches can't seem to correct it so I would move the problem on elsewhere.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The idea of Wickham ( 8 in 10 for Sheff Weds this season) and Ulloa both playing upfront is mouth watering, especially with crosses supplied by Conway. I fear I am getting a bit carried away here :rolleyes:

Out wide, played behind them or on the bench

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Would be interesting to see some stats re his injuries. There just seems to be a re-occuring theme. Injured for 4-5 weeks, back for two to three weeks, injured again.
I still maintain that it is more down to his stride pattern than anything. This ' still growing ' argument carries no credence with me. FFS..how old is he now?
I would cash in now if we can. All the time he is at BHA, he is going to keep getting injured. The coaches can't seem to correct it so I would move the problem on elsewhere.

I'm not sure we can keep relying on two admittedly very talented wingers, who never seem to be fit for more than a few games and seldom at the same time. I'd like us to ship one out and bring back Conway who may not be as thrilling but is very useful as team player and does not seem to be injury prone

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I really don't get the 'we only need 1 decent striker' line that keeps getting mentioned.

Maybe we only start with 1 striker, but surely there is merit in being able to have another on the bench to tactically change things around. Also our main striker will not be playing 46 x 90 mins of football due to injury or suspension.

No, we need 4 decent strikers, and as of now we have 3 ( and who knows when 2 of them will play again ) + 1 who goes back in around 75 days.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think I may have edited my post when you were posting that, I assume that you are talking about where CMS would fit in?

Yes, your final post was very different to the one I was replying to :)

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
I've heard nothing up here about this story. If it happened it would be a very good deal for B&HA.
I want us to sign Bridcutt but I've grave doubts about Buckley's fitness. On the other hand I don't think we've given Wickham enough opportunities to show what he can do. He's still only twenty and could turn out to be a very good player. Wednesday supporters are raving about him and are desperate to keep him till the end of this season at least.
For me the best outcome for Sunderland would be Cattermole to Stoke, Bridcutt to us and Wickham back to Sunderland from his loan. I'd be delighted if we signed Buckley providing he could remain fit most of the time, and that's a big proviso. If we aren't going to recall Wickham I hope he joins you on loan for the rest of the season. I think you'd be in for an extremely pleasant surprise when you find just how good he can be. Unfortunately I fear he's going to stay at Wednesday.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think I may have edited my post when you were posting that, I assume that you are talking about where CMS would fit in?

I fear that CMS might never be back. Someone who's game is based on sharpness and pace can find his type of injury career threatening. His relapses, even if they're to other parts of his body are a massive concern. Right now I don't think he fits in anywhere in our plans to be perfectly honest, the best I think we can hope for is that he does regain fitness and can be used as an impact substitute.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I fear that CMS might never be back. Someone who's game is based on sharpness and pace can find his type of injury career threatening. His relapses, even if they're to other parts of his body are a massive concern. Right now I don't think he fits in anywhere in our plans to be perfectly honest, the best I think we can hope for is that he does regain fitness and can be used as an impact substitute.

I agree. If he is ever any use again that would be a nice bonus but we shouldn't be banking on it at all.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Hoskins has also started running work, so who knows, where this will lead. There seems to be an obsession these days with ideal starting XIs. Football is a squad game, not just due to injuries and suspensions. Top teams will often change tactics and formations depending on the opposition and this works well ,when teams have the luxury of a choice of good options.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I've heard nothing up here about this story. If it happened it would be a very good deal for B&HA.
I want us to sign Bridcutt but I've grave doubts about Buckley's fitness. On the other hand I don't think we've given Wickham enough opportunities to show what he can do. He's still only twenty and could turn out to be a very good player. Wednesday supporters are raving about him and are desperate to keep him till the end of this season at least.
For me the best outcome for Sunderland would be Cattermole to Stoke, Bridcutt to us and Wickham back to Sunderland from his loan. I'd be delighted if we signed Buckley providing he could remain fit most of the time, and that's a big proviso. If we aren't going to recall Wickham I hope he joins you on loan for the rest of the season. I think you'd be in for an extremely pleasant surprise when you find just how good he can be. Unfortunately I fear he's going to stay at Wednesday.

Glad that Stoke interest is public now. Presumably £5m is an opening gambit as well. Gus obviously rates Bridcutt higher than Cattermole so your negotiating position is weakened somewhat. I hope you get the money for him and then make an appropriate offer for Bridcutt, if this has not already happened.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
His last one was away too. Doncaster I think it was.

Yes - I recall at Donny he looked like he was playing within himself maybe around 80-90% of his best and the one time he really tried to skin the full back he immediately pulled up, kicked the hoardings in front of the Albion fans in disgust and that was it, another hammy done. Their pitch was greasy and as usual caused tennis ball bounce but not exactly a minefield and certainly better than Blackpool's. His hamstrings seem fragile no matter what.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here