Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland appoint Advocaat

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Advocaat I feel could have the same impact at Sunderland that Felix Magath had at Fulham. Managers who have done well at European club level but who are not necessarily what's required in the midst of a Premier League relegation dogfight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dick Advocaat imminent appointment was predicted in The Sun on Sunday. but they never get anything right according to some on here, which would suggest moves were made on Saturday or even days earlier in the event of Sunderland losing to Villa.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was. Ellis Short needed to stand four-square behind the manager he'd appointed but he caved in when the players whined because Di Canio had the temerity to demand they behave like disciplined professional footballers. Instead Di Canio was sacked after a mere dozen matches in charge. The players had their power confirmed and Saturday's disgrace was the inevitable result.

I obviously only see Sunderland on telly occasionally but from what I can see (and read in the papers, my mum lives outside Sunderland so I get a local view too), the club has a choice collection of wastrels and layabouts, many of whom should be given a good kicking. As I said, I'd have hated to see Di Canio at Brighton but he was probably exactly the person that Sunderland needed. I can't see Advocaat sorting them out - what authority does a stand-in manager have?

It reminds a bit of the situation at Old Trafford when Taggart arrived. He inherited a team of drunks and time-wasters from Big Ron and had to sort them out. It took a couple of years and some poor results but he was backed by the board and got his way. Obviously, Sunderland is a bit lower down the scale but the club needs someone like that ... and he needs to be backed. You may need to be relegated for things to get better but it seems to me that there's real poison at that club

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He was. Ellis Short needed to stand four-square behind the manager he'd appointed but he caved in when the players whined because Di Canio had the temerity to demand they behave like disciplined professional footballers. Instead Di Canio was sacked after a mere dozen matches in charge. The players had their power confirmed and Saturday's disgrace was the inevitable result.
That's why I can't put too much of the blame on Poyet. He's done great harm to his reputation, which had already suffered from the way he departed The AMEX. He has appeared clueless, particularly in the last few weeks. But he's been working with a poisonous group of players, who have seen off a lot more experienced managers than Gus or Paolo.
I feel particularly sorry for Di Canio. As you say his appointment was widely treated as a joke. Pundits and journalists lined up to throw insults and ridicule at him. He hasn't worked in the eighteen months since Sunderland sacked him. But I believe there is a very good manager inside him and when he arrived with his loyal five-man backroom team I believed, and still believe, we had the opportunity to revolutionise our club and change the losing mentality once and for all.
But Short proved to be a man of straw I'm afraid.

Still, Steven Fletcher has a couple of lovely cars though, and that's the main thing :thumbsup:

[TWEET]577591632012394498[/TWEET]

Last edited:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I obviously only see Sunderland on telly occasionally but from what I can see (and read in the papers, my mum lives outside Sunderland so I get a local view too), the club has a choice collection of wastrels and layabouts, many of whom should be given a good kicking. As I said, I'd have hated to see Di Canio at Brighton but he was probably exactly the person that Sunderland needed. I can't see Advocaat sorting them out - what authority does a stand-in manager have?

It reminds a bit of the situation at Old Trafford when Taggart arrived. He inherited a team of drunks and time-wasters from Big Ron and had to sort them out. It took a couple of years and some poor results but he was backed by the board and got his way. Obviously, Sunderland is a bit lower down the scale but the club needs someone like that ... and he needs to be backed. You may need to be relegated for things to get better but it seems to me that there's real poison at that club
It's not 'obvious'. If your mum lives so near, you can watch them. They've got a big enough ground and reasonably priced tickets.
As for Man Utd, they did OK under Big Ron but Liverpool and Everton were sooo dominant during that era and don't forget no European games from 1986 through to the early 90s for Taggart to be judged by. There was only 3 trophies to play for. 1. The League, which he was not expected to win for a few years, 2. The FA cup, which they had won millions of times before and 3 The League Cup which was about a prestigious then as it is now, i.e. NOT. There is absolutely no way Man U would have given a manager the time they gave Taggart to turn things round in recent times.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not 'obvious'. If your mum lives so near, you can watch them. They've got a big enough ground and reasonably priced tickets.

Two things: I'm a Brighton supporter and I don't follow any PL teams so I'd have no reason to go and see them. Second, if I'm travelling 300 miles to spend a day or two with my mum, I'm not going to spend half the time going off to watch football.

There is absolutely no way Man U would have given a manager the time they gave Taggart to turn things round in recent times.

Slightly different circumstances. There's not a drinking culture at Utd any more and they won the PL only two seasons ago so success is expected. That wasn't the case 30 years ago when they'd had just three FA Cup wins in about 20 years. That's why there's a slight comparison with Sunderland and why a manager should expect a bit more time

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Advocaat won't make any difference.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Two things: I'm a Brighton supporter and I don't follow any PL teams so I'd have no reason to go and see them. Second, if I'm travelling 300 miles to spend a day or two with my mum, I'm not going to spend half the time going off to watch football.

Slightly different circumstances. There's not a drinking culture at Utd any more and they won the PL only two seasons ago so success is expected. That wasn't the case 30 years ago when they'd had just three FA Cup wins in about 20 years. That's why there's a slight comparison with Sunderland and why a manager should expect a bit more time
Well it's obvious you should spend more days visiting your mum for one and you have pretty much agreed with me about Manchester United. OK that's all. Dismiss!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here