Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer spending

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Bournemouth spent a lot more than that in their first season in the PL, as did Watford. (see red columns in chart)

View attachment 85196

Blimey. Well, I got that all wrong then.
I'd be surprised if we spent that much first season.

I'm amazed that Watford spent that much. Did they still have their squad of loanees by then? That might explain why they had to splurge. If not, :shrug:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
My thinking matches up with most other peoples. 40m this window for 4/5 quality additions in the positions most needed ie. LB, RB, LW and a FWD with the possibility of either another player in the midfield and a replacement for Stockdale if he leaves. With around 15-20m kept back for the January window incase further additions are needed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Newcastle United: Rafael Benitez & Mike Ashley hold 'positive meeting' about future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39878063

We're scratching our chins (and getting it horribly wrong) Newcastle's meetings are reported on the beeb.

Which is more likely to end in disaster?

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Newcastle United: Rafael Benitez & Mike Ashley hold 'positive meeting' about future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39878063

We're scratching our chins (and getting it horribly wrong) Newcastle's meetings are reported on the beeb.

Which is more likely to end in disaster?

For one thing Chris Hughton hasn't been sounding off about wanting a moohassive budget to strengthen the squad for the Premier League, or throwing his toys out of the pram if he doesn't get his way.
There's been plenty of nice discussion over tea and cakes in the boardroom, and it will all be lovely for the Albion.
That's been the way this club conducts itself lately with signings, very very under the radar :albion2:
And, I have a feeling this summer will leave us with our mouth's open with our signings. And that's in good way BTW! :cool:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
£40m on transfer fees.

Our increase in income with greater sponsorship is £105m, but the club will want to cease an annual accounts loss of circa £30m, leaving £75m in cash for transfer and agents fees, and increased player wages.

Selling some fringe/replaceable players might add to the kitty.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I have no idea what this is showing. What are the red and blue bars?

Blue bar is the increase in income as a result of being promoted

Red bar is the amount spent buying new players in first season in the Premier League

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Blue bar is the increase in income as a result of being promoted

Red bar is the amount spent buying new players in first season in the Premier League

Hi El Presidente.

What's your guess as to how much the club will spend on transfer fees this summer?

Separately, do you think the Board will aim for a break-even/small profit accounting result for 2017/18?

Thanks in advance.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Blimey. Well, I got that all wrong then.
I'd be surprised if we spent that much first season.

I'm amazed that Watford spent that much. Did they still have their squad of loanees by then? That might explain why they had to splurge. If not, :shrug:

A lot of guesswork but apparently

Penaranda £9m
Doucoure £8m
Capoue £7m
Jurado £7m
Amrabat £7m
Vydra £7m
Oulare £6m
Berghuis £5m
Suarez £4m
Behrami £3m
Holebas £2m

...and there goes your £65m. With the exception of Vydra I'm not familiar with them

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Ok. Do you know the reason for Reading's spending to be only known to two significant figures, whereas, all the others are known to three significant figures? Seems odd.

Reading had parachute payments in the Championship, so when they were promoted to the PL it was less of a bounce.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The figures in the El Presidente bar chart are based on earlier periods of the previous broadcasting rights deals, where middle/lower PL teams made circa £75m a year from the TV deals.

That figure is £100m from 2016/17.

Just saying, as this makes it almost certain that promoted clubs will spend a higher level still on transfer fees and players wages.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Hi El Presidente.

What's your guess as to how much the club will spend on transfer fees this summer?

Separately, do you think the Board will aim for a break-even/small profit accounting result for 2017/18?

Thanks in advance.

My understanding (and I have no inside track at the club on this) is that there is a player budget that is a combination of transfer fees amortised and wages. That combined sum would be in the region of £120 million minimum, looking at the amounts used by the likes of Watford in their first season promoted.

Re-signing Stephens, and so not having to sign a replacement has therefore reallocated about £10-12million in that budget.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A lot of guesswork but apparently

Penaranda £9m
Doucoure £8m
Capoue £7m
Jurado £7m
Amrabat £7m
Vydra £7m
Oulare £6m
Berghuis £5m
Suarez £4m
Behrami £3m
Holebas £2m

...and there goes your £65m. With the exception of Vydra I'm not familiar with them

:thumbsup:

Capoue's good. Vydra's washed up.
Behrami rings a bell.

That's a big load of Johnny's.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My understanding (and I have no inside track at the club on this) is that there is a player budget that is a combination of transfer fees amortised and wages. That combined sum would be in the region of £120 million minimum, looking at the amounts used by the likes of Watford in their first season promoted.

Re-signing Stephens, and so not having to sign a replacement has therefore reallocated about £10-12million in that budget.

Tapping your knowledge, please:

My complete guess is that Stephens would have earned a £2m resigning on fee (possibly paid in instalments) and £40k a week in wages. From your knowledge of football finance, am I high or low? Are they realistic figures for a player of DS's stature and these circumstances?

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Thanks for this, and I'm glad we won't be have you offering arguments for a Stephens to Burnley move any more :smile:
Interesting what you say about Brady and Defour, but I'm more interested in what's happened to Andre Gray, who really doesn't seem to be playing much. What is Dyche's explanation for this, the general Burnley fan view, and yours?

Andre Gray? I think a combination of factors have caused him to be "in and out" of the starting XI.

Firstly, he missed 5 games because of his "homophobic" Twitter ban, then Vokes & Barnes did quite well while he was out. After a bad patch, he was recalled and scored 4 goals in 2 successive games against Middlesbrough & Sunderland, but his form since January has been very patchy. Defenders are scared of his raw pace but his control is suspect and first touch pretty awful plus he gets caught offside a lot. To be fair to Gray, he gets less service in the Premier than he did in the Championship.

Another factor could be his "showbiz" relationship with that "Little Mix" singer...forget her name. People say he hankers after the bright lights of London - Spurs and West Ham have been mentioned but he is nowhere near good enough for the former.

With 2 games to go, he has 9 Premier League goals and 1 FA Cup goal from limited starts, so his record this season is not terrible, but 4 goals have come against Sunderland, 2 against Swansea, 1 against Palace and 1 against Middlesbrough - 8 out of 10 against lowly teams. Apart from his Dec 31 hat-trick against Sunderland, his high point came in August when he scored in the 2-0 home win against Liverpool - just hours before he hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons (the old homophobic tweets).

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tapping your knowledge, please:

My complete guess is that Stephens would have earned a £2m resigning on fee (possibly paid in instalments) and £40k a week in wages. From your knowledge of football finance, am I high or low? Are they realistic figures for a player of DS's stature and these circumstances?

Having seen some player contracts (but none of those are at the Albion) that would be in the right ball park.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Interesting. Another poster on another thread thought I was way too high.

I based the £2m fee on Stephens and his agent knowing it saved us the huge fee in buying a decent replacement.

Median wage bill in PL is £83 million.

Knock off 20% (which is probably generous) for non- first team player wages leaves £66m. Split that between 30 players/mgt and gives £2.2 million per year. Some of that will be deducted in the form of national insurance, but even so £2m a year seems a realistic sum to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here