Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Suggestions to save energy this winter…

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With a combi boiler? Thought that only occurred in water tanks etc where the water sits?

Yes you may be right with combi systems.

I do have my doubts whether reducing hot water temp, unless everyone agrees to cooler showers. A lower hot water temp will just mean you need add less cold water via the mixer tap, ie to get a 45c shower it still needs the same amount of energy

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Don't work from home, go into the office instead.
While in the office, charge all your phones, tablets there rather than at home.

Heating and lighting versus petrol not always going to be a winner, but I take your point.

I have made sure I have TADO thermostatic radiator valves fitted to EVERY radiator in the house. When working from home I can then heat only the rooms where we work during the day time. Last winter I had a couple of radiators, which I didn't think would matter, however every time a radiator with a valve called for hot water, the unimportant ones would heat up massively.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Think about targeting the heating - heating the person and not the space. So this winter, if you can stand it, don't put the heating on. Where a onesie indoors instead. Nobody's going to see you are they?

I also am aware of the usefulness of hats. Estimates of the heat loss from the head vary between 8% and 50%. Whoever is right, wearing a hat will help you keep warm. I've got a fur lined trapper's hat, which is the warmest hat I've ever had. It's often so warm, I can't actually wear it !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Candles. Seriously.

You’d be shocked how much heat a candle placed in the centre of a room can generate. Be wary of naked flames around kids, dogs, clumsy women etc but yep, it can really help to heat a room.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
We're now paying VERY close attention to the smart meter monitoring device we have - I'd literally never looked at it before. For now, at least, I'm recording our daily usage in a spreadsheet so I can get an idea of what is "normal" for us and spot any spikes and try to figure out if we can adjust what we do better. I'm also going to sign up for this: https://loop.homes

Been using https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/ for a little while which looks to be very similar. Useful tool.

One thing I've noticed is using the air fryer uses and awful lot less energy than putting the oven on.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Come October I shall be taping up all the bedroom and toilet windows at the opening points,even brand new windows can let in cold air so let warmth out, basically go round the house and anywhere that you can feel a draught tape it up if practical,we've a log burner so have no need for radiators in the living room at all, the tip is a great place to load up with unwanted wood for the fire in the winter,get to know the chaps at the tip bung them a tenner and you won't have to buy little bags of logs for £9 a pop.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Think about targeting the heating - heating the person and not the space. So this winter, if you can stand it, don't put the heating on. Where a onesie indoors instead. Nobody's going to see you are they?

I also am aware of the usefulness of hats. Estimates of the heat loss from the head vary between 8% and 50%. Whoever is right, wearing a hat will help you keep warm. I've got a fur lined trapper's hat, which is the warmest hat I've ever had. It's often so warm, I can't actually wear it !

Regarding the percentage of heat lost through the head, it’s somewhat true. Kind of. You’ll lose the same amount of heat via any uncovered part of the body. Hands, feet etc.

But yeah, a hat will help for sure.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Been using https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/ for a little while which looks to be very similar. Useful tool.

One thing I've noticed is using the air fryer uses and awful lot less energy than putting the oven on.

Thanks - I'll give that a go as well and see which ones works best.

Yep - ovens use a shit load of energy - it's quite a big space to heat up to 200 degrees. Spot where I cooked dinner!

IMG_6942.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Get my kids to read this thread.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Eat well. Hearty meals. When you’re not eating properly you get cold quicker.
If you can afford to eat.
Vote out the Tory’s and tax energy companies properly.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Regarding the percentage of heat lost through the head, it’s somewhat true. Kind of. You’ll lose the same amount of heat via any uncovered part of the body. Hands, feet etc.

But yeah, a hat will help for sure.

I was reading around that subject this morning. One thing I came across, was to NOT wear socks in bed. Having cold feet, means your body is constricting blood flow to your feet, and therefore directing bloodflow to other parts of your body to keep them warm. So don't wear socks in bed and you'll feel warmer overall. I claim the prize for the most counter-intuitive advice today.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I was reading around that subject this morning. One thing I came across, was to NOT wear socks in bed. Having cold feet, means your body is constricting blood flow to your feet, and therefore directing bloodflow to other parts of your body to keep them warm. So don't wear socks in bed and you'll feel warmer overall. I claim the prize for the most counter-intuitive advice today.

Awesome, love stuff like that.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is nuts that here we are in 2022 and this thread exists.

I am a big fan of bulk cooking and store in the microwave. It is much more efficient for money and time.

Tempted to take TVs out of the kids rooms and they can watch a tablet instead that is charged cheaply overnight.

In the spring I invested in a garden office as I work from home virtually all the time. With kids and wife (teacher) at school the house will have no heating on apart from a short blast in early evening. I have a little radiator in the office which warms it brilliantly in a few mins.

I am genuinely worried that lots of people who “find news boring” don’t understand what is coming.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have changed all bulbs to LED , about 80 . I have emptied the attic and put extra insulation down and put it over the hatchway .

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Why do some people think electricity is cheaper overnight?

That's only true if you're on Economy 7, surely?

And generally only those with storage heaters are better off on Economy 7.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I’ll need to think about that one. My medication lowers my blood pressure and I couldn’t manage last winter without wearing socks in bed. Goodness only knows how cold I will be with no heating on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here