Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Sugar substitutes for tea.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I am looking to cut down on my sugar intake. I have found that tea with no sweetener is not going to work.

This morning I tried Stevia and I can still taste the bitter aftertaste.

Honey is okay but a bit of a pain in the arse.

Any suggestions from you sweet muntha funkers?
Those sweeteners are probably worse for you than half a tsp of sugar

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah artificial sweeteners are probably not the way I'll go.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
A smaller amount of actual sugar?
Sounds silly but this is what I did. Ow down to a quarter of a teaspoon. Unless you've got diabetes or drink 150 teas a day it's kinda alright to have that much sugar.

Also have unprocessed brown sugar demerara to reduce the amount of horror the sugar unleashes on your system.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Truvia is the closest thing I’ve found to the taste of sugar. Been using it for years but am thinking of easing off and eventually totally swapping out tea for decaf coffee with a dash of honey.

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Gradually reduced the sugar in tea, taken a bit longer with coffee so I have a squidge of honey in that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know this is not in the spirit of the thread but:-

'No Sugar - No Point'.

and yes I have an incredibly sweet tooth.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Once you crack that you might find it also helps in other areas. My wife loves baking and she tends to put in only around a 3rd of the sugar recommended in any recipe. If we ever buy shop bought sweet treats or have a restaurant dessert I would say it's almost inedible to me as it's just way too sweet and sickly. My mum is also diabetic so we are used to it from a young age.

As others say, gradually phase it out and you may find things tasted SO much better when you can actually taste what's in them and not just the sugar, same with salt. Evening snacks? I'm always on the plain mixed nuts selection, don't want anything salted/sweetened.

I'd flip the mindset round and rather thinking of it as "reducing sugar" think of It as "increasing other flavours".

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I went cold turkey no sugar in tea a while ago. Now if I accidently get mine mixed up with the other two in my house who still have sugar, I can't believe how horribly sweet it is. I'd suggest like others on here, just don't replace sugar with anything. Didn't take that many cups of tea until I was used to it. Now I've also ditched it from my morning coffee too!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

My dad used to use sweetners but went back to sugar. There was a report a while back that showed a lot of sweetners contain something called sucralose, which is apparently genotoxic, in otherwords it breaks down DNA.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My dad used to use sweetners but went back to sugar. There was a report a while back that showed a lot of sweetners contain something called sucralose, which is apparently genotoxic, in otherwords it breaks down DNA.

Agree. There was a rumour that aspartame when ingeste caused metabolites like methanol. Methanol produces formaldehyde. Whilst this rumour proved to be true, the debunk was that aparently the body creates 1,000 times more formaldehyde (which we excreet though urine) than you could consume in diet coke, but its food for thought. Personally I avoid fake anything. So many by products of mass produced processed food that its worth attempting to avoid it when you can.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There is natural sugar in both tea and coffee. You can’t taste this if you lump a load of sugar in. Your tea just tastes of sugar, not tea.

Once you have given up sugar in your tea, you’ll wonder why you ever needed it in the first place!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure if honey can count as a substitute, it's just a mixture of glucose and fructose.

Cane sugar is sucrose, which quickly breaks down into glucose in your body.

That's the thing with carbs, they all end up as glucose, it just depends how quickly it happens.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I don't have sugar in tea but when you get someone else's by accident and it has two sugars, it is ffing lovely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here