Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Suez Canal

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The ship behind just needs to give it a nudge. Problem solved.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I realise these ships are massive, but the fact that only 50 ships represent a third of the world's container ship traffic seems a low number to me.

"Meanwhile, at least 150 ships laden with oil, automotive parts and consumer goods have accumulated on both sides of the Asia-Europe trade channel, through which about 50 ships a day passed in 2019, representing nearly a third of the world’s container ship traffic."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/25/suez-canal-blocked-ship-ever-given-stuck

It looks like it's not going anywhere soon.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I realise these ships are massive, but the fact that only 50 ships represent a third of the world's container ship traffic seems a low number to me.

"Meanwhile, at least 150 ships laden with oil, automotive parts and consumer goods have accumulated on both sides of the Asia-Europe trade channel, through which about 50 ships a day passed in 2019, representing nearly a third of the world’s container ship traffic."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/25/suez-canal-blocked-ship-ever-given-stuck

I read that as 150 ships represent a third of world trade (it's a very clumsily written sentence), although that still seems rather low.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I read elsewhere that the Suez canal handles about 10% of the world's maritime trade, but thinking about where containers go (in the main to/from China), a larger proportion makes sense.

Last edited:

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Apparently using old reserve channel to lessen the load, didn't know they had one. For the amount of traffic trade the canal generates they should look at dualing it, guess more chance of dualing the A27 than that....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

It's a badly written sentence (it is the Guardian after all.) as others have said I read that as 150 ships represent a third of the World's Container Ships.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
IMG-20210326-WA0000.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ghost of Anthony Eden is having nervous flashbacks. His widow might be too. Incredibly, she is still with us in this world.

That was something I discovered a few weeks ago too. Possibly the most mind-blowing bit of trivia I've heard this year

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The ghost of Anthony Eden is having nervous flashbacks. His widow might be too. Incredibly, she is still with us in this world.

That was something I discovered a few weeks ago too. Possibly the most mind-blowing bit of trivia I've heard this year

A mate sent me that cracking bit of trivia the other day.

I know little history of that time, so I was also interested to see that she's Churchill's niece.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here