Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Substitutions

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Clearly RDZ needs and deserves LOTS more time, we have played very similarly for much of the last 3 seasons and shouldn't let recency bias (Leicester, Utd) cloud our recent memory, so I am definitely not criticising, BUT...

I would love to see some of the younger attacking players get a chance slightly earlier in matches where we are struggling to break down the opposition (Gilmour, Sarmiento, Enciso, Ferguson... ). Finding Undav on 85 minutes very uninspiring!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree. Too safe with the subs. Too predictable and too late. I'd like a little bit more that the oppo won't be expecting.

Though Lamptey did offer something different when he came on

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Clearly RDZ needs and deserves LOTS more time, we have played very similarly for much of the last 3 seasons and shouldn't let recency bias (Leicester, Utd) cloud our recent memory, so I am definitely not criticising, BUT...

I would love to see some of the younger attacking players get a chance slightly earlier in matches where we are struggling to break down the opposition (Gilmour, Sarmiento, Enciso, Ferguson... ). Finding Undav on 85 minutes very uninspiring!
To be fair he tried to get Undav on from 79mins but there wasn’t a break in play.

Not sure why you think Fergusson will do anymore than Undav

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Forest had no attacking threat at all, so subs could have been far bolder. What was the point of giving Undav 5 minutes, giving Gilmore or Samiento 25 /30 minutes would surely have been a better option. Sarmiento in particular would have loved running at a very ordinary Forest side.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Agree. Too safe with the subs. Too predictable and too late. I'd like a little bit more that the oppo won't be expecting.

Though Lamptey did offer something different when he came on
Technically correct, but that different was basically running down blind alleys.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Agree, that game was crying out for 3 or 4 subs with at least 20 mins still to play and the worrying pattern suggests that while we look very similar to us under Potter RDZ certainly doesn’t seem to have the bravery to make changes like GP would.

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
To be fair he tried to get Undav on from 79mins but there wasn’t a break in play.

Not sure why you think Fergusson will do anymore than Undav
There was a corner for us. We elected not to bring him on for it, for reasons I can't begin to understand

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Agree - we need more skillful players on the pitch to break down teams that play like Forest. Trossard was our only skilful player and most natural finisher and yet was stuck out on the wing. Taking Lallana off and putting Solly up behind Welbz was soul destroying when you know Solly is shite in front of goal. Trossard should have moved in central at that point and would have liked to have seen Sarmiento and Enciso given a chance.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He is a worried man RDZ, maybe traumatised by Italy... I don't know how much time he think he has. In here we know that between now and the end of the year, one or two points will get him through to January, due to the nature of Tony Bloom. Does he fully understand that? Not necessarily - so it seems like he wants to keep his "best eleven" for as long as possible in the game, a bit desperation if you like.

The bench isn't great by PL standards but yesterday was one of those days where the last 30 minutes or so screamed for fresh blood.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He is a worried man RDZ, maybe traumatised by Italy... I don't know how much time he think he has. In here we know that between now and the end of the year, one or two points will get him through to January, due to the nature of Tony Bloom. Does he fully understand that? Not necessarily - so it seems like he wants to keep his "best eleven" for as long as possible in the game, a bit desperation if you like.

The bench isn't great by PL standards but yesterday was one of those days where the last 30 minutes or so screamed for fresh blood.
Hmmm

He seems very intelligent. Some cursory research on the internet would tell him bloom is a very patient man. I'm giving him more credit than that.

I think he's a bit scared of upsetting the players if anything. It's such a close knit squad and potter squeezed everything out of them.

He has a very difficult job unless bloom opens the cheque book. I can't see how it's possible to get anywhere near top 10 after losing Cuccu , Biss , mwepu and maupay.

With this squad we are aiming for one place above relegation.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Early days but do find his subs strange. Pervis for example was having his best game against Spurs and was our best attacker but taken off at half time.
We have been desperate for goals in last 3 games. We have Belgian leading scorer on bench and just brings him on for 5 mins. However poor March is in attack he seems determined to accommodate him. Has already played him right side,left side, more central and left back.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I trust the manager to pick the right personnel, but absolutely agree that if we’ve had 60 minutes of toothlessness, then I want to see a trio of players coming on with enough time and an idea on how to change the game.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
PARTICULARLY in a game where after an hour the extremely poor opposition have had 0 shots and showed absolutely no inclination to go forward, and our attack is getting progressively slower and slower. I just cannot fathom a reason why you would wait until 85 minutes and then only bring on one striker. It was screaming for someone with some trickery and pace to scare them out of position at least.

Sep 29, 2017
Portslade
Agree - we need more skillful players on the pitch to break down teams that play like Forest. Trossard was our only skilful player and most natural finisher and yet was stuck out on the wing. Taking Lallana off and putting Solly up behind Welbz was soul destroying when you know Solly is shite in front of goal. Trossard should have moved in central at that point and would have liked to have seen Sarmiento and Enciso given a chance.
This!

When Lallana came off for Lamptey I was expecting March to be out wide left with Trossard in his more familiar role closer to Welbeck. That way stretching the pitch and hopefully create more space in the middle that Forest were flooding with players.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The other thing to consider is that we've got 3 games close together. Friday, Tue, Sat. We've also got 5 subs we can use.

I was amazed RDZ was as cautious as he was last night. We have promising players on the bench who will only get better with game time. The normal first XI had their chance to show they could break Forest down and failed. We should have changed more and earlier

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
What de Zerbi said, I have to say sounds a bit disheartening that he was too worried about losing the game by making substitutions.

Head coach De Zerbi said: “In this situation, you are in a balance.

“If you change something more, you can lose the game. It is not the right decision.

“If you don’t change it, it’s like you were not brave to win the game.

“I think Lamptey played very well, 20 or 25 minutes.

“I am sorry for Pascal because in that situation I wanted to put another striker on but not because Pascal was playing badly.

“Other changes? For me, the team was good and I didn’t want to change anything more.

“I was happy to watch this level of play.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here