Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Stuff that never happens in football anymore

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Streakers.

Have we ever had one at the Albion?
Not a streaker, but I remember being at Southend (a) first game of the season (2000/2001?) and a Brighton fan ran on the pitch and scored a goal in front of the away end.

Anyone else remember that? He may even post on here.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If 'they' get their way, headers will be a thing of the past - let alone imaginary ones
Imaginary ones will always be part of my football memories and I'll bore the shit out of people talking about them and what it was like when I were a lad.

If 'they' get their way, ban headers and stop large numbers of people suffering from brain injuries going forward, I think I'll back 'them' all the way. Sorry :shrug:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Imaginary ones will always be part of my football memories and I'll bore the shit out of people talking about them and what it was like when I were a lad.

If 'they' get their way, ban headers and stop large numbers of people suffering from brain injuries going forward, I think I'll back 'them' all the way. Sorry :shrug:
If you even pretend to head a football nowadays they’ll put you in prison

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Back passes to the goalies - who couldn't carry the ball, but had to bounce it every three paces.
Goalies drop-kicking the ball (or kicking from the hand) as far upfield as they could.
Short shorts and thighs glistening with horse linament (or Ralgex or whatever sort of linament it was).
Goalies with peaked caps.
Rolled-up 'Pink 'uns' poking through from two rows behind you on the terrace and edging out of the way of the inevitable following steaming stream (or was that only on The Kop at Liverpool?)
Players numbered from 1 to 11.
Mullets and sideburns.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Away fan being led out of the home end whilst being restrained by coppers!

Attachments

• 66A90AF5-5A69-4B64-80AB-553AEA75E749.jpeg
    66A90AF5-5A69-4B64-80AB-553AEA75E749.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 19

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Motorcycle couriers grabbing rolls of film from pitch side photographers, so they could get the shots developed and in to the late edition Argus.
Always impressed me as a teenager that by the time I had got back to Brighton Station and bought a bag of chips from Sing Li, I could buy a paper with a write up and pictures of the game I had just watched.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Motorcycle couriers grabbing rolls of film from pitch side photographers, so they could get the shots developed and in to the late edition Argus.
Always impressed me as a teenager that by the time I had got back to Brighton Station and bought a bag of chips from Sing Li, I could buy a paper with a write up and pictures of the game I had just watched.
Fascinating to think about how that would probably be entirely impossible today.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
When buying a 30 a season striker for £15m was a world transfer record (and there was only one transfer deadline to do it in)

and when your TV screen looked like this

66A9C89D-2057-444A-BC9D-397946B16AA5.jpeg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
When buying a 30 a season striker for £15m was a world transfer record (and there was only one transfer deadline to do it in)
Still the most expensive transfer of all time if you consider what the market looked like at the time. Would pretty much be like someone buying a player for £300m today.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Still the most expensive transfer of all time if you consider what the market looked like at the time. Would pretty much be like someone buying a player for £300m today.
If course but the poetic nuance of it looked good - and some subliminal false messaging of £15m for the ”let’s get a 20 a season striker fan club’ may have a perverse sort of balming effect along the lines of, ‘oh, that’s not unreachable for us‘ 😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here