Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stronger squad than Poyet's?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Bridcutt was outstanding in a very defined role in Poyet's system - but do you seriously think he is of the same class as Kayal or Stephens? Or for that matter Sidwell who went on to have a far more successful career at Prem level that LB did.
Poyet would play 4-5-1 with Bridcutt, Kayal and Stephens together, Knockaert and Murphy wide and Murray or Hemed up front. I'd salivate at that :)

And yes, I do think the 12-13 Bridcutt was the equal of Kayal and Stephens. Wow, was it really 4 years ago?

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But it wouldn't be this team as Poyet played a very different system. We wouldn't be playing 442 so the players we have wouldn't work so well.

Hughton is clearly the better manager for me (and I was a big fan of Poyet). He has a plan B and has made us less rigid as we're now happy to play the ball long if needed rather than just build from the back.
Maybe but poyet's plan A was a thing of beauty and we did very well with it. How i'd love to see us play like that again, probably won't but we were lucky to experience it. His last four months with us, after ulloa and upson joined the team, were absolutely wonderful - right up until palace did a smash and grab on us in the playoffs and it all descended into a pit of acrimony.

But I also like our Hughton style, the feel of the club right now is great. We had 3 1/2 years of consistency with poyet and we're 2 years into hughton, it's this longevity of manager and style that builds promotion contenders

Sent from my GT-I8262 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here