Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong and Stable - Congratulations to Angela Merkel on a 4th term

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and an extreme right wing party as the official opposition?

Sounds like a recipe for chaos.

Why? It’s just more of the same. Why does it seem chaotic to you?

And care to answer my previous question?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Why? It’s just more of the same. Why does it seem chaotic to you?

And care to answer my previous question?

because as the official opposition they get access to information and control of govt committees etc... can't see many in the UK being happy with the BNP in a similar position?

#recipefordisaster.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have a bad feeling Germany is going to be inundated with people again. I hope Merkel has a got a grip on this one. According to the article below It's being restricted to a 1,000 a month, but I reckon it will be triple that every month.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/germany-sharply-caps-refugee-family-reunions-130406553.html

They need them. The German birth rate is one of the lowest in Europe so Merkel's opening of doors to immigrants wasn't entirely altruistic. The long term future was looking grim: a declining population but a bigger proportion of pensioners. I also suspect that there will be more than 1,000 a month but it's something that the government will be quite relaxed about.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Unless you have also been in a darkened room, you’ll know that these two have been running the show for the past 4 years. And the nation has done pretty well in that time. They key things which directly impact the public like education, health, transport and the economy are running at levels you can only dream of. They even delivered the World Cup in this period as well. Or do you believe the Tories are doing better in these 5 areas?

[MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION]...my marks please.

Victoria-Pendleton-Brendon-Cole-Strictly-Come-Dancing-Series-10-2012-4x600.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
because as the official opposition they get access to information and control of govt committees etc... can't see many in the UK being happy with the BNP in a similar position?

#recipefordisaster.

The term “official opposition” indicates you do not fully understand how German politics works.

http://www.dw.com/en/what-is-the-role-of-germanys-parliamentary-opposition/a-40615464

“Is there such a thing as an opposition leader in Germany? No. In Germany, being the opposition party that has won the most votes comes with a certain prestige, but there's no specific position attached to it. Nor are the parties making up the opposition a single big bloc. ”

The system here is different to the UKs and pretty much set up to ensure coalitions and for new parties to get quick traction and entry to the Bundestag. It’s also quite interesting I find.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/09/martin-schulz-exits-coalition-bid-stave-revolt/

Angela Merkel’s new coalition government was thrown into disarray before it has even taken office on Friday as the leader of her main partner announced he would not take up his cabinet post.

Martin Schulz, leader of the centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), was named as foreign minster on Wednesday after agreeing a coalition deal with Mrs Merkel four months since the election.

But just 48 hours later he dramatically announced he was withdrawing his candidacy and would not serve in the government, after party members reportedly lost faith in him.

The deal to form a coalition is expected to go ahead without him, although it still has to be approved by SPD members in a postal vote.

The shock announcement came with Mr Schulz facing a revolt from party members incensed at his decision to become foreign minister despite pledging never to serve under Mrs Merkel.

larus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/09/martin-schulz-exits-coalition-bid-stave-revolt/

Angela Merkel’s new coalition government was thrown into disarray before it has even taken office on Friday as the leader of her main partner announced he would not take up his cabinet post.

Martin Schulz, leader of the centre-left Social Democratic Party (SPD), was named as foreign minster on Wednesday after agreeing a coalition deal with Mrs Merkel four months since the election.

But just 48 hours later he dramatically announced he was withdrawing his candidacy and would not serve in the government, after party members reportedly lost faith in him.

The deal to form a coalition is expected to go ahead without him, although it still has to be approved by SPD members in a postal vote.

The shock announcement came with Mr Schulz facing a revolt from party members incensed at his decision to become foreign minister despite pledging never to serve under Mrs Merkel.

Still a little way to go with this saga. Not convinced the SPD membership will back the coalition. It’s been agreed by the leaders, but there’s a lot of objections from the left of the party and the youth too. Far from a done deal. If this collapses, Merkel is toast and new elections would be called.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the term “official opposition” indicates you do not fully understand how german politics works.

http://www.dw.com/en/what-is-the-role-of-germanys-parliamentary-opposition/a-40615464

“is there such a thing as an opposition leader in germany? No. In germany, being the opposition party that has won the most votes comes with a certain prestige, but there's no specific position attached to it. Nor are the parties making up the opposition a single big bloc. ”

the system here is different to the uks and pretty much set up to ensure coalitions and for new parties to get quick traction and entry to the bundestag. It’s also quite interesting i find.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I thought better of The Telegraph. He never said he’d be a member of the cabinet and decided he didn’t want to serve in the government after he’d concluded the negotiations. This is quite different to “dramatically” withdrawing from a cabinet post.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I thought better of The Telegraph. He never said he’d be a member of the cabinet and decided he didn’t want to serve in the government after he’d concluded the negotiations. This is quite different to “dramatically” withdrawing from a cabinet post.

You thought better of Reuters too ??

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-g...-shore-up-support-for-coalition-idUKKBN1FT19D

BERLIN (Reuters) - The embattled leader of Germany’s Social Democrats (SPD) abruptly gave up plans on Friday to become its next foreign minister, hoping to shore up support among SPD members for a new coalition with Angela Merkel’s conservatives.

SPD leader Martin Schulz drew strong criticism in the party after he announced on Wednesday that he would resign as SPD chairman to become foreign minister, after promising before the election that he would not serve in a Merkel-led government.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You thought better of Reuters too ??

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-g...-shore-up-support-for-coalition-idUKKBN1FT19D

BERLIN (Reuters) - The embattled leader of Germany’s Social Democrats (SPD) abruptly gave up plans on Friday to become its next foreign minister, hoping to shore up support among SPD members for a new coalition with Angela Merkel’s conservatives.

SPD leader Martin Schulz drew strong criticism in the party after he announced on Wednesday that he would resign as SPD chairman to become foreign minister, after promising before the election that he would not serve in a Merkel-led government.

For someone who claims not to care about Germany you sure do post a lot on this thread.
Keep up the good work :lolol:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
For someone who claims not to care about Germany you sure do post a lot on this thread.
Keep up the good work :lolol:

I think this is my first post on this thread and I am not sure I have ever said 'I do not care about Germany' having lived and worked there I quite like it, do you post anything that is accurate ever .............

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think this is my first post on this thread and I am not sure I have ever said 'I do not care about Germany' having lived and worked there I quite like it, do you post anything that is accurate ever .............

Whevs. Keep up the good work :lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

article-1335351-027E0CAC000005DC-97_233x350.jpg

Telegraph, Reuters, The Sunday Times all fake news?

Britain’s political class has been pushed into second place by Germany’s on the European scale of ridicule as the ruling parties in Berlin tear themselves apart over the spoils of power...

Angela Merkel, the caretaker chancellor, extended her political life by giving away the store to the Social Democrats last week but, instead of celebrating, the top Social Democrats promptly went for each other’s throats.

Merkel herself did not come out of it well. After 12 years in power, she is facing open calls to quit from top figures in her Christian Democrat Union (CDU) after capitulating to the demands of the Social Democratic Party (SPD) for powerful ministerial posts in the agreement to form a new coalition government....Schulz pledged “never” to accept a role in any government led by Merkel, who was trying to build a new coalition and save her own skin after the CDU’s own poor showing at the polls.

So it was with incredulity that Germany heard Schulz announce on Wednesday that not only had he formed a grand coalition with Merkel but also that he would serve in it as her foreign* *minister, a coveted and prestigious job. .. That was not all. Germany’s current foreign minister is Sigmar Gabriel, who gave up the leadership of the SPD last year so that Schulz — whom he thought of as a friend — could give the party a fresh start. It had been rumoured that Schulz had privately assured him he would keep his job.

On hearing that he was being stabbed in the back, Gabriel predictably un*sheathed his own stiletto.

He publicly accused Schulz of a breach of faith, saying that while the German public had approved of his performance as foreign minister the SPD leadership “clearly didn’t give a hoot”.

“The only thing left, really, is remorse over how disrespectful we’ve become with one another in our dealings and how little someone’s word still counts,” he added. “I am too much from a world in which you do not just look sideways but straight in the eyes and tell the truth. That evidently has fallen out of fashion.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ny-ridiculed-over-botched-coalition-hcll3vqpz

Makes our lot seem vaguely competent .. :facepalm:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
How's this going [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]? Any sign of a strong and stable government yet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How's this going [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]? Any sign of a strong and stable government yet?

Hi Titanic. Half way through my winter sports holiday in Italy; its going very well. Thanks for asking. I’m not aware of any issues back home. Have I missed something?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
“At 10.30am on Sunday in Berlin, Germany’s centre-left SPD announced that on a turnout of 72% more than two in three of its members had voted to approve a fresh GroKo, or grand coalition, with the centre-right CDU and its Bavarian CSU sister party.”

More of the same strong-and-stable government.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here