Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Strep A & Scarlet Fever

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Keep getting your post count up, pal. Someone's child has died and your first thought is point scoring. Nobody is trying to be funny, people are worried about their children.

You're a disgrace. I've lived in Shoreham for 40 years, we've probably bumped into each other, you may dislike me, I do not care. But there is a time and a place. If you don't like my posts, put me on ignore. Stop fishing for a reaction, it's not a match day thread FFS
Well seeing as I replied to your original post calling me a boring boring idiot before you amended it, then rather than throw back the abuse that you seem to enjoy, then my reply was entirely appropriate.

As regards to point scoring I’ve no idea what you are referring to….it was you who decided to deride anyone who thought differently to you…..oh and last time I checked there wasn’t a rule that meant I needed permission to join any threads and state an opinion….and if I bother you that much why not take your own advice and put me on ignore.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
You've completely misunderstood what I was saying. I'm not having a pop at anyone who wants to keep their kids in school. You do what's best for them, who am I to tell you what to do with your own children?

My reply was to those who were anti-lockdown during covid, and are using outbreaks like this to continuously bang the same drum.
I wasn't anti-lockdown, I was in the 'What the f*** is going on' camp. When I wrote my reply to you I didn't see anything anti-lockdown, just points that mentioned it could be a consequence of lockdown, which it could well be.
I consider my family very lucky during lockdown that we had decent enough 'tech' to be home schooling & live in the suburbs so that we could go out & take the dog for a 'proper' walk whilst still being in the 'zone' & not seeing anyone.
I don't suppose they still run this advert post Covid (I don't watch much TV) but Persil used to advertise their washing liquid with the tagline 'dirt is good' & it actually is as it builds up antibodies in your immune system, I could post loads of evidence to support my argument.
I shouldn't actually be focusing my reply solely on you as @Washie was the first one to make me out to be a pariah that doesn't care about children dying as I'm still sending my child to school.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I wasn't anti-lockdown, I was in the 'What the f*** is going on' camp. When I wrote my reply to you I didn't see anything anti-lockdown, just points that mentioned it could be a consequence of lockdown, which it could well be.
I consider my family very lucky during lockdown that we had decent enough 'tech' to be home schooling & live in the suburbs so that we could go out & take the dog for a 'proper' walk whilst still being in the 'zone' & not seeing anyone.
I don't suppose they still run this advert post Covid (I don't watch much TV) but Persil used to advertise their washing liquid with the tagline 'dirt is good' & it actually is as it builds up antibodies in your immune system, I could post loads of evidence to support my argument.
I shouldn't actually be focusing my reply solely on you as @Washie was the first one to make me out to be a pariah that doesn't care about children dying as I'm still sending my child to school.

Okay, so we can agree then that my point wasn't aimed at you as you weren't using this story to post anti covid lockdown views.

If your happy sending your children to school, that is great. I encourage that. I'm in a different boat, I'm the father of a vulnerable child, who isn't able to communicate when they feel unwell, not able to say that they have a sore throat or other symptoms. I am not willing to take the risk of sending him in when what we are told is that early medical intervention could be essential.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Okay, so we can agree then that my point wasn't aimed at you as you weren't using this story to post anti covid lockdown views.

If your happy sending your children to school, that is great. I encourage that. I'm in a different boat, I'm the father of a vulnerable child, who isn't able to communicate when they feel unwell, not able to say that they have a sore throat or other symptoms. I am not willing to take the risk of sending him in when what we are told is that early medical intervention could be essential.
Then you possibly should have said that at the beginning so that your reasoning was clear. Your aggressive stance (made you vomit) to people like me, who are just the same as you and want the best for their child as they see fit, was unfair. I've been in the situation of not being able to go near a child that I loved deeply because they were immunosuppressed at times & it's really hard.
Can you not find a middle ground for him, with vigilance on your side & a bit of acceptance that you can't shield him totally. Because lets face it, as much as our job is to protect our kids from anything bad, part of our job is to show them how to cope in the mad world we live in. Do not take what I've just said in the wrong way, it's said with empathy!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is what happens to children when people can't afford to feed them properly or heat their homes. Combined with less exercise and less effective medicines, we will see childhood diseases become fatal again.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just for a bit of perspective, the number of strep A cases deaths in this country is lower than it was in 2018. This particular plague is mostly in the minds of the press, not based in reality.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Read the thread, the OP has provided context & you know as well as I do that they meant it figuratively. :)
I didn’t mean anything figuratively - just raising some questions and just posted the link of previous years’ Strep A infections in the OP to provide a perspective- before millions of parents get sucked into a media climate of fear mongering.

Not sure what the ‘context’ is I need to look at - slightly confused tbh

And I honestly don’t know what to make of this:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I didn’t mean anything figuratively - just raising some questions and just posted the link of previous years’ Strep A infections in the OP to provide a perspective- before millions of parents get sucked into a media climate of fear mongering.

Not sure what the ‘context’ is I need to look at - slightly confused tbh

He’s not referring to you. To Solid

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s worth academics having a look at the entire effects of the lockdowns. Countries acted completely in the dark. Mental health, key public services eg ops, education, economy, relatives unable to visit care homes (this drags on even now, R4 have covered the cruelty). Sweden taking a very different approach will no doubt be compared.
It will be interesting to compare different counties and the different outcomes from their approach to Covid. So many factors to consider though and the full impact won’t be known for some time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The answer to worse infection outcomes due to keeping children at home is most certainly not to keep them at home some more.

We have a school Facebook group for parents. There's one mum on there who dominates the whole thing and, my God, is she thick as mince. I'm not in the group but Mrs GB was reading some of her latest stuff out to me in the pub last night while we were watching the game and having a very nice Thai meal. Her theory is (and revel in the contradiction and danger here)

1) She's keeping all her kids home again. She doesn't say how long for. Presumably till this isn't in the news any more, rather than when Strep A is vanquished as an active disease. But...
2) It's not really Strep A. It's a reaction to giving kids the Covid vaccine. But.....
3) Just in case she's going to try as hard as possibly to get as much anti biotics as possible.

I have a 12 year old daughter so I understand the worry but, bloody hell, that's daft. Think about that when criticising the government for running out of anti biotics. It may only one or two people per school but that's enough. It makes me want to uninvent social media.

My kids are going in on Monday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The answer to worse infection outcomes due to keeping children at home is most certainly not to keep them at home some more.

We have a school Facebook group for parents. There's one mum on there who dominates the whole thing and, my God, is she thick as mince. I'm not in the group but Mrs GB was reading some of her latest stuff out to me in the pub last night while we were watching the game and having a very nice Thai meal. Her theory is (and revel in the contradiction and danger here)

1) She's keeping all her kids home again. She doesn't say how long for. Presumably till this isn't in the news any more, rather than when Strep A is vanquished as an active disease. But...
2) It's not really Strep A. It's a reaction to giving kids the Covid vaccine. But.....
3) Just in case she's going to try as hard as possibly to get as much anti biotics as possible.

I have a 12 year old daughter so I understand the worry but, bloody hell, that's daft. Think about that when criticising the government for running out of anti biotics. It may only one or two people per school but that's enough. It makes me want to uninvent social media.

My kids are going in on Monday.
Then her offspring will get to 16 and wonder why they’d always lagged behind at school. Well done Mum.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Without checking, I believe the Swedes had a worst covid record than their Scandinavian neighbours who did have lockdowns. Not exactly clear how you can also compare a country like Sweden with a low population density with that of the UK with a high density?

Edit:
Sweden 21K deaths
Finland: 7.5k
Norway 4.5k
Denmark 7.5k

How appealing is Sweden's tactics now?

According to the above

Deaths per million, which was the go to rate

Norway 311
Sweden 204
Finland 140
Denmark 130

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just for a bit of perspective, the number of strep A cases deaths in this country is lower than it was in 2018. This particular plague is mostly in the minds of the press, not based in reality.

Choosing 2018 is very selective. Maybe show a plot of cases against all years to get a perspective?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

be highly suspicious of stories around supply and price. penicillin and other antibiotics are prescription only, must have seen a doctor. online supply are showing available at low prices. some versions of drugs may be wildly different in price, say a tablet vs liquid, which will give tabloid press what they need to run a story.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
be highly suspicious of stories around supply and price. penicillin and other antibiotics are prescription only, must have seen a doctor. online supply are showing available at low prices. some versions of drugs may be wildly different in price, say a tablet vs liquid, which will give tabloid press what they need to run a story.
Every surgery has its own budget. There are basic drugs which work but if being prescribed for a lot of infections, then surgeries have to buy the more expensive brands.

This is a thread about the availability of antibiotics in the North East where a parent is having to drive around the area to different chemists to get a prescription made out for their child.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

We have a school Facebook group for parents. There's one mum on there who dominates the whole thing and, my God, is she thick as mince.
Stupid bint. I bet she was running her mouth off that covid was nothing to worry about when there were only 15 cases here.

:whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here