Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange Bloke on Roundabout

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I recall him on the main drag in Shoreham. We used to go to Brooklands (was it called? paddling pool, playground, weird concrete streams) in the early 70's I guess and drive through Shoreham and he would be standing there and waving. My parents (both from Blackburn, so anything more than a flat cap was regarded as extravagant) used to call him fancy pants and we were made to wave back. Nowadays you'd just speed up I suspect.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This thread is a reminder that we should all at least try to be a little more tolerant of people and views different from our own.

Sometimes it's not necessary to add a comment to a thread where you disagree with the poster with "you f&*king a&$hole...." - it's rarely that important.

I shall try to practice what this thread preaches.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Didn't he have a tricycle before the bicycle a long time ago.

Surf 'n' Turf

Sep 21, 2008
Always remember him when I was little lad, use to wave at everyone and would usually get a mouthful of strange abuse. "Hello Sailor" ha ha,
what a laugh he would bring to people.

There is also another guy, not quiet the same, goes by the name of Morris...I think, walks around Portslade tapping this shoe and then his head. Very odd behavior...anyone else know who i am talking about??

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He used to cycle to Newhaven too, he certainly got around.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Ahh...Horace. Used to work at Marylebone Optical Factory near the Ham Pub. I worked there one summer holiday where I met him.

He swept the floors there and swore like a trooper. He wasn't the only "character" who worked there. It was like a little time capsule from the 50s that place.

Seriously, I've never heard anyone swear as often and as lustily as him. Often used to see him in full garb at the Offington roundabout with an old bike and a transistor radio flicking the obligatory V-signs at passing cars.

Happy days.

Surf 'n' Turf

Sep 21, 2008
Ahh...Horace. Used to work at Marylebone Optical Factory near the Ham Pub. I worked there one summer holiday where I met him.

He swept the floors there and swore like a trooper. He wasn't the only "character" who worked there. It was like a little time capsule from the 50s that place.

Seriously, I've never heard anyone swear as often and as lustily as him. Often used to see him in full garb at the Offington roundabout with an old bike and a transistor radio flicking the obligatory V-signs at passing cars.

Happy days.

:lol: That's it yes. The old V sign. ha ha ha!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Happy days.

oh Buzzer.. we are old work colleauges then .. I was there for some time.... Horace smoked Player's Weights at the rate of 60 + a day..... if for some reason the local tobbaconist ran out , he would buy some Rothmans and break all the filters off before smoking them.... surprised he lived that long

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
What was the point of the weighing machines outside the chemists :laugh: I dont recall ever seeing people on them? ?

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Thought Harty might have contributed to this thread, their paths must've crossed at some time?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As a child I recall him well, my parents happily drove past honking
there horn to which he normally jestured in some way. Very amusing for all of us!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
This thread has restored my faith in NSC. I remember the bicycle man around Shoreham and Lancing in the 60s.
As for Desmond he was one of the characters around town. I seem to remember him drinking rough cider in the Half Moon, Boyce's St.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
This thread got me thinking about a guy i used to remember when i was a kid about 10/15 years ago.
He used to hang around all the bust stops near Churchill Square and along Western Road waving at all the buses and directing traffic.

Used to see him all the time and thought it was wierd.Wore a suit if i remeber rightly.

Anyone else know who im talking about?

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
This thread got me thinking about a guy i used to remember when i was a kid about 10/15 years ago.
He used to hang around all the bust stops near Churchill Square and along Western Road waving at all the buses and directing traffic.

Used to see him all the time and thought it was wierd.Wore a suit if i remeber rightly.

Anyone else know who im talking about?

that's wavey davey, or at least what we used to call him.

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
I remember Horace too. Dont you find it weird that some-one who at the time you thought was very odd but highly amusing would be remembered by so many!! He used to stand outside the pub by the old iron bridge in Shoreham and always seemed to be their on trips to Brighton. I remember the feeling of disapointment if he was not there and wondering if he had passsed on or been arrested. He always reminded me of the chap who used to dress up in the "England Garb" at the old Wembley.Happy memories:afro:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
i never use to spend much time in sussex when i was a kid just visiting relatives but i remember this bloke

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I remember Desmond and the stand-off he once had with the landlord of the Bo'sun (Sam?) who was a stocky fella.

Albion had a tigerish midfielder, Tommy Mason, who i sometimes saw down Sherrys. He was only a small guy but fearless on the pitch, but I saw him once in Middle Street and he had stumbled across Desmond coming down the other way, (OK Desmond was doing the stumblin). I re-assured Tommy that Desmond was no problem, I thik they had a few friendly words.

Desmond was undoubtable a scary guy to meet on a dark night but he was only scary by his looks & size. talking to him, he was decent enough.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I remember Horace.

i used to visit my nan in Shoreham in the the late seventies, and on a lovely summers day can remember him cycling off towards upper beading and singing as he went

Hum dum brought some port wine with me, Hum dum brought some port wine with me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here